"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #2661
Chef Extraordinaire

i can sympathize. dawg is right and has excellent advice. (but beware al-anon and therapy. it can be as harmful as helpful. deoends on the folks involved. the only person that knows what's good for you is you)

you have to let your family live their own lives.

until, of course, a family member is incapable of taking care of themselves.

man, there's grey areas attached to everything i just said.

nevermind.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #2662
Chef Extraordinaire

I am so angry with my body I am so sleepy. But my body won't let me sleep more than 20 minutes. Then I wake up. So I get up and do more cleaning. The house is getting nice and clean. But I am getting more tired. Eventually, I will crash. Thn the phone will ring or someone will be at the door. I can hardly keep my eyes open. If I lay down I will become wide awake. Oh joy!

Old 07-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #2663
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am so angry with my body I am so sleepy. But my body won't let me sleep more than 20 minutes. Then I wake up. So I get up and do more cleaning. The house is getting nice and clean. But I am getting more tired. Eventually, I will crash. Thn the phone will ring or someone will be at the door. I can hardly keep my eyes open. If I lay down I will become wide awake. Oh joy!
Addie,
What helps you get to sleep? Would the same thing help you stay asleep? If so slap something in or on your ears, block the darn world and just sleep as long as you can. I'm having trouble sleeping as well. I've been getting across the bed and when I wake my knee joint hurt like heck it's so bad I want to cry. DH has to help me get started and that's the pits. Poor guy has enough to do with out waiting on me. So tonight a railing is going up to stop me wandering off the side or my falling off the side of the darn bed. Tis s getting awful. I so hope you can get some decent rest. Take care friend
Kades
Old 07-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #2664
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Addie,
What helps you get to sleep? Would the same thing help you stay asleep? If so slap something in or on your ears, block the darn world and just sleep as long as you can. I'm having trouble sleeping as well. I've been getting across the bed and when I wake my knee joint hurt like heck it's so bad I want to cry. DH has to help me get started and that's the pits. Poor guy has enough to do with out waiting on me. So tonight a railing is going up to stop me wandering off the side or my falling off the side of the darn bed. Tis s getting awful. I so hope you can get some decent rest. Take care friend
Kades
Ma, this is the one I got for Shrek, he loves it and said it was the best idea I ever had.

Stander Stable Bed Rail ON SALE 5800 BedRail, Assist Rail
Old 07-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #2665
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Everyone in my family "gets along with" my dad, he is a very kind man, and a generally good person, but within the last few years his drinking problem has escalated to the point that it's hard to like him. He has quit drinking for years at a time a couple times, and when he was drinking he would wait until at least 5 to have his first beer, and when he first started having heart problems he made an effort to limit his number of beers per night. Now it seems like he has decided that since he can't seem to beat it, he is just going to drink himself to death. He was controlling his blood pressure with diet, a walk, and a nap every day, but now he seems to have given up on everything but the nap. He is back on blood pressure medication, which he quit taking in the first place because of the side effects, but since he gave up on trying to be healthy it's necessary. My mom is afraid the alcohol is destroying his brain, and soon he won't be able to work. He needs to be in reasonably good health to maintain his class A license, and if he keeps this up he won't pass the health tests (the only time he isn't drinking is when he is working. On weekends he has a beer in his hand before noon). He is self employed, and his work days seem to be getting shorter and shorter too. He has said that he is worth more dead than alive anyway, and if he feels that way, we all sort of wish he would just hurry up and die. The way things are going he is just going to end up bankrupting my poor mother by spending all the money they have coming in on beer, hospital bills, and prescription drugs (for his heart problems, and whatever else might come about due to his drinking). Not to mention what it must be like being married to someone who you have to be sure not to tell anything important to after 6:00 because he might not remember it. I honestly don't know how he can do that to her. She's threatened him with divorce, and he said he would sell off and hide all his assets, then start working for cash only, so she couldn't get any money out of him, but at this point I don't think I would even care about that at this point. Ugh. Alcoholism is one of the most terrible diseases. Knowing him as a normal person, obviously this is very out of character for him. I'm sure he feels bad about it when he's sober, but he doesn't want to quit...
I know alcoholism all too well. It is a hard life to live. I feel sorry for everyone involved
Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #2666
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Ma, this is the one I got for Shrek, he loves it and said it was the best idea I ever had.

Stander Stable Bed Rail ON SALE 5800 BedRail, Assist Rail
Thank you so much PF. You have no idea how much this will help me. DH just ordered it for me YIPEEEEEThanks again and again. You are a dear heart.
ma
Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #2667
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Thank you so much PF. You have no idea how much this will help me. DH just ordered it for me YIPEEEEEThanks again and again. You are a dear heart.
ma
And it's portable, you can take it with you!!! It's the perfect thing to give you a hand up and if it's strong enough to hold Shrek's weight it's definitely strong enough for you! Shrek likes the pockets on it.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #2668
Master Chef

My only vents today are the cat and teeth.

The cat won't stay away from the areas that I have sprayed with Raid. Plus, I'm going through a painful wisdom tooth coming in. Geez, do you they ever stop coming in?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #2669
Everymom

My vent is about my poor dog. He has ANOTHER hot spot and this one is the worst yet. Its right under his tail and on his bum. I've never seen him so freaked out. He was spinning in circles, licking, whining, running...it was awful. He is now lying on the floor with the cone of shame on. I hate doing that to him but I have to until the pain pills kick in. Poor thing.

The vet tells me it is likely inhalant related. She says this has been the worst year in a long time for allergies and that is likely his problem. So there is just nothing I can do for him except try to get him through until the pollen count is lower. Poor guy. He is so miserable.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #2670
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
My only vents today are the cat and teeth.

The cat won't stay away from the areas that I have sprayed with Raid. Plus, I'm going through a painful wisdom tooth coming in. Geez, do you they ever stop coming in?
I still have my four wisdom teeth. They never broke through. I didn't even know I had any until I was in my 60's. Now they are the only ones I have in my mouth. Once I had all the others removed, all four moved down from just below my ears to my mouth. But they still don't bother me. So I am leaving them alone.