"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #2671
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
My vent is about my poor dog. He has ANOTHER hot spot and this one is the worst yet. Its right under his tail and on his bum. I've never seen him so freaked out. He was spinning in circles, licking, whining, running...it was awful. He is now lying on the floor with the cone of shame on. I hate doing that to him but I have to until the pain pills kick in. Poor thing.

The vet tells me it is likely inhalant related. She says this has been the worst year in a long time for allergies and that is likely his problem. So there is just nothing I can do for him except try to get him through until the pollen count is lower. Poor guy. He is so miserable.
Hot spots and Saint Bernards are a given. There are several home remedies that help dry them up. Under the tail and on the bum is a place we haven't seen them--under the chin (where the drool collects, on the thigh, on the shoulder, on the top of the tail). One of the home remedies is to steep some black tea bags for about 10 minutes. Cool the tea bags and apply to the hot spot (it helps to shave the area). The tannin helps dry it up. We also used to get "Blue goo" which is what is used when you cut cattle horns. That dries it up but that worked best for the under-the-chin spots (where the dogs could not lick it). The other was to use the ear cleaner....Oti??? Oh, and diluted original Listerine in a spray bottle applied to the area. Flea allergy can often trigger hot spots, as can anxiety.

I hate the smell of hot spots!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #2672
Everymom

I've got some tea dabby stuff all made up. Pacanis gave me a recipe which includes a crushed up aspirin and a splash of rubbing alcohol to help dry it up without being too painful. It works...but its tough to do by yourself in this particular spot.

We've had to use the cone of shame poor dog. He is completely mental about this one. I really don't like making him take steroids but we may have no choice here. This is his third bout in a month with hot spots. Poor puppy is completely miserable and we are not sleeping. I have a few minutes of peace while Ken takes him out for a walk. I'm just going to enjoy and be silent for a bit.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #2673
Executive Chef

Sigh. Sometimes I get frustrated when every post on Facebook from one friend or another is just a sound bite or poster or meme. I don't have any stupid friends. They are all capable of individual thought, of expresing themselves in their own words. So why don't they use their own voices? Why do they cheat themselves, cheapen their intelligence, by incessantly parroting the overused? Why do they throw away the gift of individualism?

I don't mind the occasional lolcat amidst photos of loved ones (be they animal, vegetable, humanoid, or pet rock). I don't mind a philosphical poster with a comment from the friend about why he agrees with the idea (or she, I know, but the whole (s)he or he/she bit is awkward to read). I don't mind the use of famous quotes to highlight a point of view or belief. I don't even mind the occasional posting of one of those syrupy, artificially sweetened hall-markisms ("Real love is a gift without a price tag" imagine that said in a mocking, slightly breathy falsetto Urkle-like voice followed by the sounds of gagging. Hey, I said I didn't mind people posting them, not that I don't mind their existance).

"For heaven's sake people, say something for yourself on occasion." I want to scream that at them in ALL CAPS. "Here, I'll show you how, it's not difficult.

I love my husband. He's a fricking awesome guy.

See, not that difficult. Maybe just as trite as a hall-markism but at least I'm the one saying it."

That's what I want to post. Why don't I? Because I have before and it does no good. Maybe if I could find a way to reach across The Net, pop my hands and arms out of the screen, and shake them it would freak them out enough to make a lasting impact, but short of that I don't think I'll ever convince them to stop.

I have other rants about Facebook posting; over-expression of political or religious views (or any views really. It's great that you think chia pets are the bomb and should make a comeback but I don't need to hear about it in every post), chain posts that try to guilt people into reposting ("I know my REAL friends will be brave enough to repost." That's nice. I know *my* real friends know I'd likely punch them if they ever said that to my face). But I'm too tired to rant about them for now. Maybe another day. Night all.

P.S. Aren't those fantastic run-on sentances? ;-)
Old 07-22-2012, 02:36 AM   #2674
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I've got some tea dabby stuff all made up. Pacanis gave me a recipe which includes a crushed up aspirin and a splash of rubbing alcohol to help dry it up without being too painful. It works...but its tough to do by yourself in this particular spot.

We've had to use the cone of shame poor dog. He is completely mental about this one. I really don't like making him take steroids but we may have no choice here. This is his third bout in a month with hot spots. Poor puppy is completely miserable and we are not sleeping. I have a few minutes of peace while Ken takes him out for a walk. I'm just going to enjoy and be silent for a bit.
What are hot spots? I know Teddy's tongue gets hot when he is not feeling well. It is usually from something he ate. Like finding a dead pigeon on one of his walks and eating just enough before he is stopped.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #2675
Head Chef

Can minor annoyances go on this thread, too? When I checked the rain gauge this morning, it only had about 1/4" of water from yesterday's shower. I noticed it was getting scummy and green in the bottom and could use a cleaning. I tore off a piece of soft paper towel and with a handy stick, stuffed it down to the bottom -- didn't poke it hard, honest! And the bottom popped out. Not much of a rain gauge any more. Since it's something that gets used every day (at least in the summertime), I need to replace it -- with a glass tube this time.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #2676
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I ain't had a rain gauge since Isabel blew through here. Took my two best pecan trees, clothesline and attached rain gauge. Replaced the clothesline but I reckon since I been doin' OK without a rain gauge, ain't no need to get one now.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #2677
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Amen PAG!
Old 07-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #2678
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Amen PAG!
+1
Old 07-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #2679
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
What are hot spots? I know Teddy's tongue gets hot when he is not feeling well. It is usually from something he ate. Like finding a dead pigeon on one of his walks and eating just enough before he is stopped.
Hot spots are an in-balance of the naturally occurring bacteria on a dog's skin. They usually are moist stinky infections (boo-boos) on the skin's surface. Alix--did you change his diet recently or introduce new treats?If no, dog food manufacturers don't have to change the ingredients list for 6 months after the formula is changed. But, a call to the 1-800 # might answer that question (s/thing different about the food). I have used Blue Power on hot spots with some success as well.

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/Adob...0Treatment.pdf
Old 07-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #2680
Head Chef

Trapper doesn't know how to taste food. (it appears)

I made some orange vanilla pound cakes the other day, he takes a bite and says to me 'there's cornmeal in it'. Well, no there is not cornmeal in it. There is a crispish crust on it from flour and shortening but no cornmeal. He says there is cornmeal in it. He misidentified a taste with the texture of the crust.

I made a tuna macaroni salad, put some cucumbers chopped finely in it, no onions. He starts to eat it and says 'there is onion in it, I can taste it'. There is no onion in it. He misidentified the crunch of the cucumber with onion.

Then (yes all last week this happened) I make a pear pecan quinoa salad with some lemon juice. (maybe lime too) He says 'there is vinegar in here'. No there is no vinegar in there. Everything sour is not vinegar.

The texture of things seems to be more important than the taste.
I'm thinking I should have him eat blind folded and try to identify things by taste.
This whole thing is weird and irritating!