"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #2681
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Trapper doesn't know how to taste food. (it appears)

I made some orange vanilla pound cakes the other day, he takes a bite and says to me 'there's cornmeal in it'. Well, no there is not cornmeal in it. There is a crispish crust on it from flour and shortening but no cornmeal. He says there is cornmeal in it. He misidentified a taste with the texture of the crust.

I made a tuna macaroni salad, put some cucumbers chopped finely in it, no onions. He starts to eat it and says 'there is onion in it, I can taste it'. There is no onion in it. He misidentified the crunch of the cucumber with onion.

Then (yes all last week this happened) I make a pear pecan quinoa salad with some lemon juice. (maybe lime too) He says 'there is vinegar in here'. No there is no vinegar in there. Everything sour is not vinegar.

The texture of things seems to be more important than the taste.
I'm thinking I should have him eat blind folded and try to identify things by taste.
This whole thing is weird and irritating!
Introduce him to the stove...

Old 07-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #2682
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Introduce him to the stove...
I've tried that, he finishes something (anything) and he wanders off outside or downstairs, I can never find him.
Could you cut up this vegetable? Sure. Then he's gone in a flash, I don't know how he does it, it's almost magic.
Today he was going to stir the bacon and watch it, and he went upstairs to watch tv and thought he could just check it at commercials.
I think his taster is broken.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #2683
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I've tried that, he finishes something (anything) and he wanders off outside or downstairs, I can never find him.
Could you cut up this vegetable? Sure. Then he's gone in a flash, I don't know how he does it, it's almost magic.
Today he was going to stir the bacon and watch it, and he went upstairs to watch tv and thought he could just check it at commercials.
Then...he can eat what you cook, and you don't put in what he doesn't like or he can eat baby food...no texture, no flavor...

Shrek eats whatever he scrounges...I got tired of his complaining about what I cooked. I wouldn't have gotten so discouraged if he would have at least tasted what I cooked.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #2684
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Taste can change when you get older. I really like the idea of taste testing. If he's willing, let us know how it's turning out.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #2685
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Then...he can eat what you cook, and you don't put in what he doesn't like or he can eat baby food...no texture, no flavor...

Shrek eats whatever he scrounges...I got tired of his complaining about what I cooked. I wouldn't have gotten so discouraged if he would have at least tasted what I cooked.
See and that is why it makes sense to try the 'taste this' blindfolded. If he can't correctly identify what it is and what is in it, then he doesn't get any of it. Plus it sounds like fun.
I'll get him to taste something, and I'll magically disappear to some place in the house he won't expect. Then he can spend his time searching for me.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #2686
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
See and that is why it makes sense to try the 'taste this' blindfolded. If he can't correctly identify what it is and what is in it, then he doesn't get any of it. Plus it sounds like fun.
I'll get him to taste something, and I'll magically disappear to some place in the house he won't expect. Then he can spend his time searching for me.
LOL!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #2687
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
I know alcoholism all too well. It is a hard life to live. I feel sorry for everyone involved
this is a man in pain. you and your mom need to stop enabling him. who buys his liquor? who is refilling his meds. i would suggest a commitment, with or without his permission. he will be angry with you. but the doctor's can ease the pain of withdrawal from the alcohol. once he can think clearly, then it is his game and his choice. i wish all of you the best of luck
Old 07-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #2688
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Oh crap, blissful, you and I share the same husband! Trapper morphs into my DH when Trapper wanders out of the room and vice versa. No wonder I can never find the DH when I need him--he morphs into Trapper...the start to chop veggies and disappear in a flash after thing--that must be when they cross over between WI and SE ON. Ah...things are beginning to make sense.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #2689
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I ain't had a rain gauge since Isabel blew through here. Took my two best pecan trees, clothesline and attached rain gauge. Replaced the clothesline but I reckon since I been doin' OK without a rain gauge, ain't no need to get one now.
Hmm. Come to think of it, if there's water standing in the yard, it probably rained a lot. Maybe I'll just save my pennies. But I was looking forward to a trip to the Tractor Supply farm store where I got the last gauge. It's a treat to browse through the aisles of interesting stuff - and fairly safe since I can't use any of it and am not so tempted to buy.

Sorry about your pecan trees. Now, that's a real loss.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #2690
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Oh crap, blissful, you and I share the same husband! Trapper morphs into my DH when Trapper wanders out of the room and vice versa. No wonder I can never find the DH when I need him--he morphs into Trapper...the start to chop veggies and disappear in a flash after thing--that must be when they cross over between WI and SE ON. Ah...things are beginning to make sense.
The joke is on us!

Sometimes I catch him as he is slinking away and I tell him how much I appreciate his help and could he now......do this or that?

It usually goes like this:
Me: WHERE are you going? (I recall this conversation with my child with attention problems wandering off.)
Trap: Um I was just ....(hurry make up some excuse)...looking at this or that.
Me: Would you mind chopping up that tomato? If not, you can stir this here and I'll chop the tomato.
Trap: No, I can chop the tomato FOR YOU. (what? I'm making this for US)
Me: You do such a good job, just bite sized, thanks so much.
Trap: Yep.
Me: WHERE are you going? ......on and on until I give up.

I really don't mind cooking by myself, I'm sure you don't mind either, it's just nice to spend time together in the kitchen sometimes. Only sometimes.