"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #2751
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
Here I sit with the fire alarm going like mad. Not one person in the building is paying attention to it. "Why?", you ask. Because this is a common occurence. Some idiot burnt toast and allowed the smoke to get out into the hall and set off the main alarm. If it was a real fire, it would have set off the sprinklers. Even the fire department is in no hurry to answer the alarm. The fire house is up the street and I still haven't heard the sirens. The alarm has been ringing for five minutes and tied directly to the fire department. Idiots! I am surrounded by idiots! Keep your door closed if you burn the toast or open your windows.
I agree. Having a "boy who cried wolf" situation when it comes to a fire alarm is not good. In the house I grew up in, the fire alarms were wired together, so if one went off they all would, and one night the alarm woke me up. I got out of bed and grabbed the quilt my grandma made me and my favorite sweater, and felt my bedroom door. It wasn't warm, and there was no smell of smoke, so I opened the door. No sign of fire... So I go to the next room and grab the 3 kittens and wrap them in the blanket. My parents got a good laugh as a creeped down the stairs wearing pajama pants and my favorite sweater, with the 3 kittens wrapped in a blanket and mama kitty following behind. The chimney had clogged and the basement was full of smoke lol. No fire :) I still have one of those kitties that I was trying to rescue, although mama kitty has long since passed. She was a stray I rescued, and was spayed after that litter.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #2752
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
DH called the phone company this morning and they can't remove my Dad's smart ring number from our line. Why? Because they say it isn't our number.

He quoted our bills which show we have been paying for it. He mentioned we are still getting calls on it. He even told the woman to call the number and see who picks it up - they can't do that because it could be breaching someone's privacy.

To really rub salt in the wound, she was able to tell him that the number (which was a separate line for my Dad for almost four years) has been registered to someone else for "many years" and never registered to us. That would be the people who's calls we have been getting.

Does that mean we can go after them to refund every penny we paid for it?
That (the phone company) is just ridiculous.
Just don't pay the bill and when they cut off service and request the mailing address for the owner, give them the location of the cemetery and the location within the cemetery where he is buried (if he was). Also remind them at that time, that sending an invoice to his casket would be a breach of privacy for him and a good newspaper article for the local news.

I'm sorry for your losses.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #2753
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
DH called the phone company this morning and they can't remove my Dad's smart ring number from our line. Why? Because they say it isn't our number.

He quoted our bills which show we have been paying for it. He mentioned we are still getting calls on it. He even told the woman to call the number and see who picks it up - they can't do that because it could be breaching someone's privacy.

To really rub salt in the wound, she was able to tell him that the number (which was a separate line for my Dad for almost four years) has been registered to someone else for "many years" and never registered to us. That would be the people who's calls we have been getting.

Does that mean we can go after them to refund every penny we paid for it?
Does the phone company have an ombudsman with whom you could speak? Does BC have a consumer protection agency?
Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #2754
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
That (the phone company) is just ridiculous.
Just don't pay the bill and when they cut off service and request the mailing address for the owner, give them the location of the cemetery and the location within the cemetery where he is buried (if he was). Also remind them at that time, that sending an invoice to his casket would be a breach of privacy for him and a good newspaper article for the local news.

I'm sorry for your losses.
Thanks, Blissful. It isn't really about the money. Not at all. It is about the fact we get spam calls and have, for four years gotten calls for the people who had the number prior to Dad. They had collection calls, friends, etc. who all didn't seem to know the family no longer had the number. I mentioned earlier that the wife of the family has the same name as my Mom and this always shook up Dad, and is really hard for me now.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #2755
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Does the phone company have an ombudsman with whom you could speak? Does BC have a consumer protection agency?
TL, we do. We also have a person on one of our local newscasts that deals in this sort of thing. I don't want to make it public, but how many other people are having these problems.

I personally just want it to go away. I don't want to have to deal with it anymore. I am doing well with my grief, but having this continual reminder is getting tough to take.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #2756
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Is the phone straight wired to the jack? If not just unplug it. If it is straight wired, it is a simple matter to take the wires off.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #2757
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
TL, we do. We also have a person on one of our local newscasts that deals in this sort of thing. I don't want to make it public, but how many other people are having these problems.

I personally just want it to go away. I don't want to have to deal with it anymore. I am doing well with my grief, but having this continual reminder is getting tough to take.
A phone company ombudsman should be able to straighten it out without too much aggro.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #2758
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Is the phone straight wired to the jack? If not just unplug it. If it is straight wired, it is a simple matter to take the wires off.
It's a special ring on their regular phone. If they unplug it, they won't get their own calls.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #2759
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I see.....Didn't understand that part.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #2760
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier
Thanks, Chopper. My Mom has been gone for 17 years, and while I have always had times where I miss her, ever since Dad passed in March there are just so many reminders of both of them.

I don't need wrong numbers to make it worse.

On the good side, I found a picture of my parents (one of my all time favourites) where they were in Indian costumes my Mom made for a hallowee'n party. She was such a great seamstress, cook, craftswomen, writer, painter, etc. I think I got my creative side from her. I think she would be proud of what I have done - she died long before culinary school.

Oh, I have to stop - the tears are falling again.
I'm also shedding tears for you too. I hope this phone mess can get cleared up soon. Sometimes things are just so much harder than they should be.