"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #2761
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
TL, we do. We also have a person on one of our local newscasts that deals in this sort of thing. I don't want to make it public, but how many other people are having these problems.

I personally just want it to go away. I don't want to have to deal with it anymore. I am doing well with my grief, but having this continual reminder is getting tough to take.
An acquaintance had that problem with satellite TV. Have s/one else "pretend" to be you and demand to be escalated to the VP of customer experience and explain to him the situation. To get to this person, you will have to go through about 3 levels to get there, but just telling the person "no, I don't want to talk to you, I want to talk with the VP of Customer Experience. Escalate me." Get out of the overseas call center. The acquaintance had to send a copy of the death certificate FOUR times before the contract for satellite TV was cancelled. Get your DH to do it, or a dear friend.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #2762
Head Chef

Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation!!
By the time I reached 40 I've forgotten most of the rules.

I cannot for the life of me remember how to punctuate sentences when using single or double quote marks or parenthesis and ending with a period. I wish someone would remind me how to do that.

I end sentences with a preposition and I *should* be able to be able to rewrite it correctly, but, I can't.

So if you ever quote me and I've written something incorrectly, feel free to fix it and maybe I'll learn something. Think of it as charity towards old people.

I saw this and had to share.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #2763
Everymom

blissful says, "I cannot for the life of me remember how to punctuate sentences when using single or double quote marks or parenthesis and ending with a period. I wish someone would remind me how to do that."

Is that helpful blissful?
If you would like more help with grammar (its one of the things I teach) just drop me a PM. Or you could cheat and just use the Grammar check function on your computer.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #2764
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
blissful says, "I cannot for the life of me remember how to punctuate sentences when using single or double quote marks or parenthesis and ending with a period. I wish someone would remind me how to do that."

Is that helpful blissful?
If you would like more help with grammar (its one of the things I teach) just drop me a PM. Or you could cheat and just use the Grammar check function on your computer.
Why, yes it is helpful, especially since I'll be watching my posts get fixed from now on. (Is that ending a sentence in a preposition?)

I seem to learn best when being embarrassed in public. (seriously)

MS Word does have grammar checking, though, they don't explain anything in any detail. I write a lot of passive sentences.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #2765
Master Chef

Finally have a nice weather day where I can open the windows and what do I hear but the parrot who lives across the street, squawking. The lady who owns it, puts the darn thing in the window and he makes that awful sound all day long.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #2766
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I reckon the parrot was just happy to feel a breeze too
Old 07-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #2767
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot
I reckon the parrot was just happy to feel a breeze too
ROFL!!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #2768
Master Chef

I just came here to vent, I am glad you both think it is funny.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #2769
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Why, yes it is helpful, especially since I'll be watching my posts get fixed from now on. (Is that ending a sentence in a preposition?)

I seem to learn best when being embarrassed in public. (seriously)

MS Word does have grammar checking, though, they don't explain anything in any detail. I write a lot of passive sentences.
The dangling preposition is one of my pet peeves. However, common usage has moved this usage to being commonly accepted. Personally, I try to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition because it can introduce ambiguity. I also hate the dangling it. What is that, you ask? That is when there is no anaphoric or cataphoric reference for the proform it (most people will call the proform a pronoun, but I'm trained in linguistics and we call it a proform). (Anaphoric reference is pointing back to replace the last noun the proform replaces, cataphoric is pointing forward to replace the next noun. Cataphoric reference is a technique used in literature and often not used well.)

PS-get your minds out of the gutter, boys. I know what you were thinking when you read "dangling it." Not THAT it.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #2770
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The dangling participle is perpendicular to the crennalated preposition when used in conjunction with a properly used formulated adverbial pronoun. The ancient grammarians found this to be particularly true when used in a conscientiously applied program of oral hygiene and regular professional care.