"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #2931
Executive Chef

I'm so furious at the cat right now. He just peed all over two of my best dress shirts. Two of my favorites that I wear all the time to work and church and when Rol and I go out. Two that I always get compliments on and that actual fit well and that I feel comfortable in. And it's not like I can afford to just go out and get new shirts. I've got them soakibg in hot water and they'll stay there until I can find change to wash them. I'm hoping if I run them through three or four washes all in a row without lettibg them dry, that the smell will come out. Otherwise they're ruined.

I just don't get it. He's never peed on stuff before! I mean, he's had accidents when he was scared, like on the way home from the vet, but he's never intentionally peed on our stuff. He used the bathtub once when Rol and I were out of town and his litterbox got too full but his box wasn't that full. And it's not like he was looking for a place and accidently hit the clothes. It was a pile of clothes in the middle of the floor that we'd just gathered up to pack into the laundry bags so we could take them to the wash. He delibrately chose something of ours to pee on. I'm just... Grrr!

Old 08-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #2932
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe
I'm so furious at the cat right now. He just peed all over two of my best dress shirts. Two of my favorites that I wear all the time to work and church and when Rol and I go out. Two that I always get compliments on and that actual fit well and that I feel comfortable in. And it's not like I can afford to just go out and get new shirts. I've got them soakibg in hot water and they'll stay there until I can find change to wash them. I'm hoping if I run them through three or four washes all in a row without lettibg them dry, that the smell will come out. Otherwise they're ruined.

I just don't get it. He's never peed on stuff before! I mean, he's had accidents when he was scared, like on the way home from the vet, but he's never intentionally peed on our stuff. He used the bathtub once when Rol and I were out of town and his litterbox got too full but his box wasn't that full. And it's not like he was looking for a place and accidently hit the clothes. It was a pile of clothes in the middle of the floor that we'd just gathered up to pack into the laundry bags so we could take them to the wash. He delibrately chose something of ours to pee on. I'm just... Grrr!
So sorry, PAG. Could it be a bladder or kidney infection?

Old 08-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #2933
Executive Chef

I hope not but we do need to get him to the vet for a checkup so we can have them check for that then.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #2934
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe

Imo. I may very well be wrong about this, but isn't it common for domesticated animals to become destructive and spiteful when they feel they have been wronged? A dog will tear up your sneakers if you don't spend enough time with it. A cat will crap on your pillow if you leave the cat outside for too long. And so on and so on. Either way, I hope your shirts are ok. :) cheers.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #2935
Everymom

If I were to guess I'd say the cat MIGHT have thought a large pile of clothes might indicate another move or you packing for an out of town trip. Cats HATE that. He was likely just registering his displeasure at the thought of more emotional trauma.

Sorry about your shirts PAG. Blissful taught me the dishwasher powder trick to whiten whites, it has the added benefit of killing odor, you could try that in your soak water.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #2936
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
If I were to guess I'd say the cat MIGHT have thought a large pile of clothes might indicate another move or you packing for an out of town trip. Cats HATE that. He was likely just registering his displeasure at the thought of more emotional trauma.

Sorry about your shirts PAG. Blissful taught me the dishwasher powder trick to whiten whites, it has the added benefit of killing odor, you could try that in your soak water.
I agree with Alix. Today we were moving furniture around to give DH and I our own space for computers, etc. Our dogs went crazy! Violet would get in the way no matter if we were moving a small box or heavy desk. Then she was shaking and panting all over the place. Animals do not like change, even when they only perceive it.

I hope you can salvage your shirts.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #2937
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post

+1 and for the dishwasher soap trick.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #2938
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier
I hated Mother's day because I wasn't one
I avoid Mother's Day and Father's Day services at church and only go to weddings of family or very close friends. I'm still somewhat bitter that I never had the blessings of husband and children. Listening to a sermon about the virtue of marriage and raising children hurts and puts me into a mild depression for a day or so. Sometimes reading FB posts from high school classmates going on about their children and grandchildren brings up that same yearning/jealousy. I've thought about foster care or adoption but my house isn't big enough for another person or in good enough condition to sell and I can't afford to fix it. I'm old enough now that I've got to accept that I'll grow old alone. I've never liked being alone but what is. ..is. My few friends have families of their own and we rarely see each other. That's partly why I show up at school several times a week during summer break. If not for my parents and my job, I don't think anyone would notice for quite a while if something should happen to me.
Well, enough wallowing in self-pity. I need to get to bed.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #2939
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindercat View Post
I avoid Mother's Day and Father's Day services at church and only go to weddings of family or very close friends. I'm still somewhat bitter that I never had the blessings of husband and children. Listening to a sermon about the virtue of marriage and raising children hurts and puts me into a mild depression for a day or so. Sometimes reading FB posts from high school classmates going on about their children and grandchildren brings up that same yearning/jealousy. I've thought about foster care or adoption but my house isn't big enough for another person or in good enough condition to sell and I can't afford to fix it. I'm old enough now that I've got to accept that I'll grow old alone. I've never liked being alone but what is. ..is. My few friends have families of their own and we rarely see each other. That's partly why I show up at school several times a week during summer break. If not for my parents and my job, I don't think anyone would notice for quite a while if something should happen to me.
Well, enough wallowing in self-pity. I need to get to bed.
You really, really, seriously need to find an outlet for your loving feelings. Time to get out and work at a shelter, find people who need surrogate relatives, there are hundreds of places, I'm sure, that need you to get out there and move in your community. Look at your own interests and then find a source for helping out. There is no reason to be lonely. Libraries and museums run on volunteer work. Schools often need class room bus, etc, monitors. Some schools and libraries have days when you can go in and read to children. Some communities have ESL (English as a Second Language) classes that need volunteers.

Wake up tomorrow morning (I'd say today but it is Sunday) and find a good fit for you. It sometimes takes a few tries to find volunteer work that you enjoy, but please do it.

Having children isn't the be all to end all, and trust me, having a spouse can be worse than having no spouse. As I said many years ago (yes I am married now, and childless by choice), you probably don't believe it, but trust me it is true. Being lonely when you're married and/or have children is much worse than being lonely by yourself. So embrace your time alone, and when it is too much, make sure you have a place where you can help care for others.

Also, find a place that is your "third place". That is to say, find somewhere you like the ambiance, and just buy a drink and start nursing it and hanging out. You'd be surprised at how many people you will meet doing this. I've seen people hanging out at the library, at the local McD's, coffee houses, etc.

Do not waste one more minute of your life with regrets. You don't make friends by sitting in your home. Move on out. Now!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #2940
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Do not waste one more minute of your life with regrets. You don't make friends by sitting in your home. Move on out. Now!
Great advice!

When I get feeling low I go over the lyrics of Cabaret!

Put down the knitting,
The book and the broom.
Time for a holiday.
Life is Cabaret, old chum,
Come to the Cabaret.

Get out and get involved, do a little self promotion.

Like Woody Allen said " ninety percent of life is showing up!"