"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #2971
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
It looks like her dry food, only wet. She blorps several hours after eating.

She's had several behavioral changes too. She barks at cats and coyotes, and watches for them constantly. I'm wondering if she's stressed by this. She's not a dog who usually barks.
Be sure to mention that to the vet--that she blorps several hours after eating. Does she give you the rolf-rolf-rolf sound before she blorps (fwiw, I'm very good at getting the dog outside between the first and second rolf sound...) or does she just blorp? I don't think the two are necessarily related. Dogs blorp for a variety of reasons. It could be an internal parasite, it could be helio bacter, it could be other things. Only the vet will be able to tell you. Have you taken her temperature?

Old 08-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #2972
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Be sure to mention that to the vet--that she blorps several hours after eating. Does she give you the rolf-rolf-rolf sound before she blorps (fwiw, I'm very good at getting the dog outside between the first and second rolf sound...) or does she just blorp? I don't think the two are necessarily related. Dogs blorp for a variety of reasons. It could be an internal parasite, it could be helio bacter, it could be other things. Only the vet will be able to tell you. Have you taken her temperature?
One retch, then blorp. I tried to catch her on the last blorp, she ran away from me and blorped on the dog bed in the living room. She feels warm to me.

I'm wondering about an ulcer, or if she's stressed over protecting us from outdoor cats, coyotes, and deer.

She was also watching a bunny for about an hour the other day, then a stray pitbull tore out of the woods and attacked HER bunny. She was very upset.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #2973
Chef Extraordinaire

blorp. blorp, rolf, rolf. I must add these words to my dictionary in case they come up in a Scrabble game. I will insist that they are real words from Dc members. And they should know.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #2974
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
a stray pitbull
This would worry me if it is truly a stray rather than one just let run loose by the owner. Stray critters like that might be likely to contract rabies, given their proclivity to engage with other critters at will. And let me point out that I have no quarrel with pitbulls....My grandson and DIL both have pits that are some of the smartest and well mannered dogs I have known. But they do love to play and give chase.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 AM   #2975
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Great advice!

When I get feeling low I go over the lyrics of Cabaret!

Put down the knitting,
The book and the broom.
Time for a holiday.
Life is Cabaret, old chum,
Come to the Cabaret.

Get out and get involved, do a little self promotion.

Like Woody Allen said " ninety percent of life is showing up!"
probably doesn't surprise anyone, this is a favorite of mine as well. Come on, start celebrating, life is where your table's waiting.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #2976
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
This would worry me if it is truly a stray rather than one just let run loose by the owner. Stray critters like that might be likely to contract rabies, given their proclivity to engage with other critters at will. And let me point out that I have no quarrel with pitbulls....My grandson and DIL both have pits that are some of the smartest and well mannered dogs I have known. But they do love to play and give chase.
+1
Old 08-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #2977
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
+1
We haven't seen the stray since. Am hoping it belongs to somebody.

Beagle hasn't blorped for a day. Took her to the vet this morning, it was time for Bordatella shot and heartworm check. Vet said she should be fine, but prescribed some precautionary deworming meds. I also learned if she blorps again, to withhold food and water for 24 hours. Beagle never did lose her appetite, so would probably be very unhappy to not get fed!

Thanks for all the concerned advice!
Old 08-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #2978
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
We haven't seen the stray since. Am hoping it belongs to somebody.

Beagle hasn't blorped for a day. Took her to the vet this morning, it was time for Bordatella shot and heartworm check. Vet said she should be fine, but prescribed some precautionary deworming meds. I also learned if she blorps again, to withhold food and water for 24 hours. Beagle never did lose her appetite, so would probably be very unhappy to not get fed!

Thanks for all the concerned advice!
Glad to hear she hasn't blorped for a day and the vet thinks she should be fine. Here's hoping she is.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #2979
Chef Extraordinaire

A 24-hour fast usually does the trick for minor stuff. Even for dogs on hw meds, they can still get worms that can cause vomiting. I always fasted new dogs that came in for 36-hours so I could change food without having to do the gradual wean to new food thing. I never had any issues when I did that, and I did that with .... 80+ foster dogs. They also got a dose of two different wormers (one for general, one specifically for tape) whether they needed it or not. I used to worm my own dogs on New Year's Eve (during the off-time re: hw meds here), whether they needed it or not! I also did the fasting thing with the stray cat, but I did give her access to water.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #2980
Executive Chef

I'm so glad that Beagle is ok. Our pets are our children, and it is terrible when they are sick.