"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-17-2010, 05:47 AM   #291
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Nothing I can do about it anyway. I'll be fine.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #292
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Nothing I can do about it anyway. I'll be fine.
It still stinks!

Old 12-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #293
Certified Pretend Chef

I got the same letter. I also have medicare deducted AND have to pay for additional insurance to fill the gaps in Medicare.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #294
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I got the same letter. I also have medicare deducted AND have to pay for additional insurance to fill the gaps in Medicare.
Yes, we are looking at the gap fillers now, too! So confusing! And I do the Medicare paperwork in my job, I still don't know what to do!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #295
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Just curious, is the amount one pays for medicare based on income?
Old 12-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #296
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Just curious, is the amount one pays for medicare based on income?
I don't think so, otherwise like everyone else, they would have told Shrek I make too much money. I'm the reason he can't get the VA benefits he is entitled to.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #297
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes, we are looking at the gap fillers now, too! So confusing! And I do the Medicare paperwork in my job, I still don't know what to do!
It sure is confusing. I had to select a new insurance this year because last year's plan was canceled. You get tons of mail from insurance companies then you have to decide which of the plans for each company is the best for you.

Then there's Rx coverage...
Old 12-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #298
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It sure is confusing. I had to select a new insurance this year because last year's plan was canceled. You get tons of mail from insurance companies then you have to decide which of the plans for each company is the best for you.

Then there's Rx coverage...
I've never been on this end of the fiasco. I deal with making sure people are within the guidelines to continue receiving their Medicare benefits and I go all out to make sure they are getting it. I'm really good at picking the nits to get them the benefits. Many have to go to their Part B benefits, because they just cannot Rehab as fast as the government wants them to.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #299
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I've never been on this end of the fiasco. I deal with making sure people are within the guidelines to continue receiving their Medicare benefits and I go all out to make sure they are getting it. I'm really good at picking the nits to get them the benefits. Many have to go to their Part B benefits, because they just cannot Rehab as fast as the government wants them to.
Could you do a favor and find out how someone like me is going to get medical help and doesn't have it?

I'm on social security, but for now $100 a month is out of the question.

I will need medical care in the next few years. Transportation at my age is a problem too. How will I pay for medication?

If my body will just hold up, I'm at a great place with my life. I don't really want to go through any of the above. My motto is stress free living.

If I were to find out I had cancer and that I could extend my life by going through chemotherapy?

Forget it. Chemo doesn't work all the time, so your last few years are stressful, painful to you and those who love you. It isn't fair to them to have to watch you suffer. They suffer with you.

They shoot horses, don't they?

Okay, Princess Fiona, your Majestic Ogressness, you got me to talk about it. Good Job. Thanks XOX ((((HUGE HUG}}}}}}} Z

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #300
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Could you do a favor and find out how someone like me is going to get medical help and doesn't have it?

I'm on social security, but for now $100 a month is out of the question.

I will need medical care in the next few years. Transportation at my age is a problem too. How will I pay for medication?

If my body will just hold up, I'm at a great place with my life. I don't really want to go through any of the above. My motto is stress free living.

If I were to find out I had cancer and that I could extend my life by going through chemotherapy?

Forget it. Chemo doesn't work all the time, so your last few years are stressful, painful to you and those who love you. It isn't fair to them to have to watch you suffer. They suffer with you.

They shoot horses, don't they?

Okay, Princess Fiona, your Majestic Ogressness, you got me to talk about it. Good Job. Thanks XOX ((((HUGE HUG}}}}}}} Z
Make an appointment with Aging Services in your area, after the New year, they are swamped right now with Open enrollment. Get yourself on the Medicaid Rolls ASAP. If not now, you will have to be filling out paperwork when you end up in the hospital and that is not the best place to be making these types of decisions. How long have you lived in NOLA, now? If it's been over a year you should not have any problems.

Use Aging Services, it's what they are there for! I know SS doesn't pay well, have you applied for disability? Becuase you sure as shooting cannot work with the way your back is. That should give you the extra so you can afford Medicare and the GAP/Prescription coverages. Shrek is back to what he was getting prior to applying for disability after the GAP and RX are taken out.

He finally got himself signed up, through the AARP services. Did it while I was at work, so I'm still a bit befuddled about what actually took place, but he is happy with his choices...that makes me happy.

At 50, I know I have some time before I have to really worry, but lately 15 years goes by awful fast! Shrek will be 65 next month...just in time, so I didn't have to keep him on my insurance for another year. Gave my the option to get some life insurance so I can make my brother rich...

Anyway, I know Z. that you would be eligible for Medicare A coverage in the hospital if you are over 65, which is no small thing, they take care of a lot.

On my end, in Montana, Med A pays completely for the first 20 days in a rehab, after that you pay a co-pay for the next 80 days. I am just learning right now, how much is paid for certain cares in the facility, depending on the type of care and what you actually need in the way of supplies, nursing hours and therapy. So, I am not the authority on this subject, but at least I know where to look.

And it depends on the Cancer you get...some treatments are livable and easily treated with a high success rate. BTW...my Mom's life was saved by Breast Cancer...if they hadn't caught it when they did they never would have found her Ovarian cancer until it was too late.