"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #3031
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, you Canadians have done it now. Washingtonians are up in arms. It seems that there is a Costco's just two miles from the border. Canadians are crossing the border in droves because our milk is much cheaper, gas is a dollar less on this side and many other items. Americans can't find the items they need. I would say it is a Costco problem, not a Canadian problem. They need to keep filling their shelves. Even if they have to hire more help to keep up with the demand. Those folks in Western Canada need to take care. Those Americans want to have you all stopped at the border. They sure are an angry bunch right now. Watch out for them.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #3032
Chef Extraordinaire

The reason milk in Canada is more expensive is the milk quota. I always buy dairy products in the States, but because of the milk quota, there is a $20/person restriction re: bringing dairy products back. There is also a 10 kg restriction bringing poultry back and one can only bring one turkey per person.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #3033
Everymom

Milk quota? What the heck are you talking about? We have a milk quota?

Addie, are you talking about Bellingham or Blaine, WA? Vancouverites have been cross border shopping for years, why is there such a hullaballoo now? The folks from the US come up to get their meds here so it all works out IMO.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #3034
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post

Addie, are you talking about Bellingham or Blaine, WA? Vancouverites have been cross border shopping for years, why is there such a hullaballoo now? The folks from the US come up to get their meds here so it all works out IMO.
We do in Ontario--to have a dairy herd and sell the milk, you have to belong...and, I've been hit at the border for having more than $20 in dairy products--it is in the fine print of the "What you can bring back" brochure that is on the customs web site. Who knew!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #3035
Sous Chef

BT - AT&T transferred my main contact list but it doesn't keep groupings, picture icons, addresses or notes. It keeps a list of installed apps so you can reinstall them. Apps tied to websites kept my levels but if it's just the game, it goes back to the beginning. One of my games would help reinstall & keep scores but you have to have both phones working to do it. Not helpful.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:43 AM   #3036
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

The news report said it was 'west' of Seattle and two miles from the border. So I have to assume it would be Bellingham and right on Puget Sound. But that is more than two miles from the border. Blaine is right on the border. I think someone didn't do their research.

Why the 'milk quota?" And what is the reason for it?

I personally think the whole story is funny.

But for our buying drugs over the border. If it is a drug that is not FDA approved and you get caught, you can be prosecuted for dealing in illegal drugs. A bit more serious than buying too much milk for children to drink.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:47 AM   #3037
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
We do in Ontario--to have a dairy herd and sell the milk, you have to belong...and, I've been hit at the border for having more than $20 in dairy products--it is in the fine print of the "What you can bring back" brochure that is on the customs web site. Who knew!
Belong to what?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #3038
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The news report said it was 'west' of Seattle and two miles from the border. So I have to assume it would be Bellingham and right on Puget Sound. But that is more than two miles from the border. Blaine is right on the border. I think someone didn't do their research.

Why the 'milk quota?" And what is the reason for it?

I personally think the whole story is funny.

But for our buying drugs over the border. If it is a drug that is not FDA approved and you get caught, you can be prosecuted for dealing in illegal drugs. A bit more serious than buying too much milk for children to drink.
Never heard of a milk quota here, but then I don't bring much milk over the border. Weird.

As to the drugs Addie, I was referring to things like insulin and other commonly used drugs that are cheaper here. My sister would frequently border hop to get insulin for her pet. Chances are good that whatever you can get up here is legal there, Health Canada tends to be even more rigid than your FDA.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #3039
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...I was referring to things like insulin and other commonly used drugs that are cheaper here. My sister would frequently border hop to get insulin for her pet. Chances are good that whatever you can get up here is legal there, Health Canada tends to be even more rigid than your FDA.

The Canadian govt. insists the US drug companies sell at a reasonable price or they can't do business in Canada. A novel concept our govt. should look into. Instead, we pay the highest prices on the planet so the drug companies can cut prices elsewhere.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #3040
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

The Canadian govt. insists the US drug companies sell at a reasonable price or they can't do business in Canada. A novel concept our govt. should look into. Instead, we pay the highest prices on the planet so the drug companies can cut prices elsewhere.
As much as I don't like the idea of the gov't interfering, the drug companies have a monopoly, they know there are things we HAVE to buy, so they take advantage of the situation. I used to take anti-depressants, but I can't afford them anymore. It's ok for now- I am lucky that it will stay in remission for anywhere from 6 months to 2 years. I've been on and off them for 12 years. Since I'm starting school though, I should be on them to prevent a relapse from stress. I can't work 40 hrs a week and go to school full time, so maybe now I would actually qualify for some gov't benefits... Hmm...