"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #3051
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

The heart tests are hanging over me, sinuses are going nuts because of all the fire smoke, one of my new patients has been a friend for years and she's dying of pancreatic cancer. I'm just having a very bad day.
Oh, geez, you sure are, PF. Hug your kitties, puppies, and Shrek, and know you're in my thoughts! You are one tough ogress!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #3052
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks Alix and Dawg...I just found out with my new medication I can go back to grapefruit...Yahoo! And there isn't a drop of it in the house...

Old 08-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #3053
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Great news! Now to find the GF trees in Montana and go raiding.

Wait, does Montana have GF trees?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #3054
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Great news! Now to find the GF trees in Montana and go raiding.

Wait, does Montana have GF trees?
I'd have better luck Snipe hunting...
Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #3055
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sometimes I wish I drank...

Thanks, TL!

Thanks here too. I am with you PF I would be rip roaring drunk right now. Instead, I had a couple of mouthfulls of some pasta with sauce. I am feeling calmer now.

One of the nicer tenants's husband has been sent to a hospice center. We had a good talk today. He wants to come home and she wants him with her. I can understand that He has about a month to live. They have been married for 53 years. Her health is not the greatest either. I asked her if it gets to be too difficult for her to take care of him by herself, can she bring herself to ask for help. He is a big man. And he is in constant pain from the cancer. It is throughout his body. I asked her some hard questions. Having outlived two husbands and a daughter, I know what she is going to be going through. She wants to be holding him when he goes. And I agree with her that she should. But she can do that at the hospice place. They will put a bed in the room for her. And at the same time she will be relieved of the taking care of all his needs. The hospice folks are really great at what they do. Give them a chance to do their work. I gave her some thoughts to dwell on.

When the other tenants ask how he is doing, her standard answer is, "Oh, he is fine." It is mostly the gossip ring that asks her. And they are the last ones you want to tell anything to. They ALWAYS manage to turn the conversation around to themselves. She has a social worker that gives her about 20 minutes each time he talks to her. She said it mostly him asking questions about getting ready for his funeral. That is not the kind of counseling she needs right now.

We really had a good conversation. She was getting tired and was ready to go upstairs and get some rest. She hugged me and gave me a big Thank You. I have the feeling we will be talking again. And I will be here if and when she wants to.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #3056
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thanks here too. I am with you PF I would be rip roaring drunk right now. Instead, I had a couple of mouthfulls of some pasta with sauce. I am feeling calmer now.

One of the nicer tenants's husband has been sent to a hospice center. We had a good talk today. He wants to come home and she wants him with her. I can understand that He has about a month to live. They have been married for 53 years. Her health is not the greatest either. I asked her if it gets to be too difficult for her to take care of him by herself, can she bring herself to ask for help. He is a big man. And he is in constant pain from the cancer. It is throughout his body. I asked her some hard questions. Having outlived two husbands and a daughter, I know what she is going to be going through. She wants to be holding him when he goes. And I agree with her that she should. But she can do that at the hospice place. They will put a bed in the room for her. And at the same time she will be relieved of the taking care of all his needs. The hospice folks are really great at what they do. Give them a chance to do their work. I gave her some thoughts to dwell on.

When the other tenants ask how he is doing, her standard answer is, "Oh, he is fine." It is mostly the gossip ring that asks her. And they are the last ones you want to tell anything to. They ALWAYS manage to turn the conversation around to themselves. She has a social worker that gives her about 20 minutes each time he talks to her. She said it mostly him asking questions about getting ready for his funeral. That is not the kind of counseling she needs right now.

We really had a good conversation. She was getting tired and was ready to go upstairs and get some rest. She hugged me and gave me a big Thank You. I have the feeling we will be talking again. And I will be here if and when she wants to.
I agree with the Hospice center choice, you are spot on. She will be able to spend more time WITH him there than she could at home caring for him. Ease her into this better choice, it's a hard one to make, especially now. I feel for her, my thoughts and prayers go out to her and her husband.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #3057
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The hospice was the best place for my dad at the end. They managed his pain well, and at the end they gave him all of the pain medication that he needed, this type of care wouldn't be as easy to give at home. They set up a bed for mom, and she spent the last 2 weeks with him. They kept refreshements outside of the room at all times for the family. They are trained so well to do this, it must take a special person to be a hospice nurse.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #3058
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
The hospice was the best place for my dad at the end. They managed his pain well, and at the end they gave him all of the pain medication that he needed, this type of care wouldn't be as easy to give at home. They set up a bed for mom, and she spent the last 2 weeks with him. They kept refreshements outside of the room at all times for the family. They are trained so well to do this, it must take a special person to be a hospice nurse.
Thanks, BC...it is fulfilling work. Hard on the heart...
Old 08-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #3059
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I agree with the Hospice center choice, you are spot on. She will be able to spend more time WITH him there than she could at home caring for him. Ease her into this better choice, it's a hard one to make, especially now. I feel for her, my thoughts and prayers go out to her and her husband.
She leaves in the morning and gets home about six at night. I will try to grab her tomorrow when she gets home. Hopefully the rubber noses won't be around.

I find that asking questions and giving a person something to think about, rather than telling them what they should do is a much better approach and more productive. She has a daughter that is in her 40's and bipolar. She is one step below useless. Her son has taken a week off from work. So she is not alone at this time.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #3060
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
She leaves in the morning and gets home about six at night. I will try to grab her tomorrow when she gets home. Hopefully the rubber noses won't be around.

I find that asking questions and giving a person something to think about, rather than telling them what they should do is a much better approach and more productive. She has a daughter that is in her 40's and bipolar. She is one step below useless. Her son has taken a week off from work. So she is not alone at this time.
Rubber noses, ask her in for a coffee and a relax. Just being there and supportive of any decisions she makes will be the biggest help. I was not suggesting telling her, just helping.

I'm glad she has you there.