"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #301
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh boy, where do I start.

Transportation.
I'm 64.

It's your Anniversary tonight, Princess. It's a good topic. But you, my dear, have a Shrek to cuddle.

More on this later. I know you'll come up with some good resources as I'm sure others of us who are getting to be:

a. Old
b. Crochety
c. Geezers
d. Coots
e. All of the above

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #302
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I Hate My Mouse

I hate my computer mouse.

I changed from a retractable cord (?) to an optical wireless. It eats batteries.

There isn't much that's as aggravating as getting all nice and comfortable with your laptop on your lap, ready to check in with the other DCers and see what there're up to, and

Suddenly, your mouse doesn't work. Nope, nada, Pfffft. First you've got to get up, stash the laptop . CARefully, and go get batteries. OR...

you can go get out the old optical retractable cord and attach it to the free USP extension cord ... never mind.

Okay, I opted to get out the old retractable.

BTW, I did order and am waiting on a plain optical with a cord.

In the meantime, having gotten used to the wireless mouse, I keep forgetting and every time I get up to do something, bang, clatter, there goes the mouse on the floor.

I'll get over this, it should only be a couple of days before my newest victim arrives. But I just had to vent.

I love this thread.

I feel better already.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #303
Head Chef

Zhizara, a couple pages back you posted about your drain being clogged with hair. (At least, I think it was you.)

I bought a thingie at Lowes--a long white strip of semi-flexible plastic, less than half an inch wide, with barbs cut into the sides. You run it down into the drain, push it in and out a couple times, and it brings up the most amazingly disgusting, smelly, big, slimey wads of hair, which you pull off and toss into the trash. Et voila! A clean, free running drain.

I would think you could make one out of a bleach bottle--cut around and around the bottle til you have a strip about 18 inches long, then cut the barbs along the sides.

The Lowe's thingie is meant to be disposable, but I wash it and use it over and over.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #304
Master Chef

I am so mad at my self, I got speeding ticket last night. all my fault, I just want to scream at my self and my stupidity.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #305
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Oh boy, where do I start.

Transportation.
I'm 64.

It's your Anniversary tonight, Princess. It's a good topic. But you, my dear, have a Shrek to cuddle.

More on this later. I know you'll come up with some good resources as I'm sure others of us who are getting to be:

a. Old
b. Crochety
c. Geezers
d. Coots
e. All of the above
I am not sure of the transportation availability in NOLA, unless the Senior center has a bus.

Are you on disability? I know Medicare can kick in early if you are disabled. Otherwise you are in the Medicaid system, but you have to sign up for it, they don't come find you. It's why I suggested Aging Services, they can help you get what you are eligible for.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #306
Master Chef

Do we have any laweyrs here? Can somebody give me advise what to do about this to avoid getting in on my record? Or other stuff I have no clue about it?
Old 12-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #307
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Zhizara, a couple pages back you posted about your drain being clogged with hair. (At least, I think it was you.)

I bought a thingie at Lowes--a long white strip of semi-flexible plastic, less than half an inch wide, with barbs cut into the sides. You run it down into the drain, push it in and out a couple times, and it brings up the most amazingly disgusting, smelly, big, slimey wads of hair, which you pull off and toss into the trash. Et voila! A clean, free running drain.

I would think you could make one out of a bleach bottle--cut around and around the bottle til you have a strip about 18 inches long, then cut the barbs along the sides.

The Lowe's thingie is meant to be disposable, but I wash it and use it over and over.
Yes, that was me. A friend made me one once with a wire coat hanger with a little hook on the end. I am on the lookout for something with some flexibility to use as you can't remove the stopper. It raises up about 3/8" to drain so I don't have much room. The plunger works for draining purposes, but did bring up a hunk of hair once and I pulled out as much as possible. Someone also suggested bleach. I had to buy more bleach, but still haven't gotten around to using it on the drain. Maybe this will have been enough of a reminder for me to get it out of the kitchen and into the bathroom.

I'll look around Walmart and see if they have something like you describe.

Thanks for the input.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #308
Master Chef

The best thing for plugged drain is concentrated sulfuric acid; it is sold as "drain opener" in hardware stores, including Home Depot. But they will first recommend all kind of junk that doesn't work at all, like "draino". One must insist on sulfuric acid, works miracle.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #309
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I am so mad at my self, I got speeding ticket last night. all my fault, I just want to scream at my self and my stupidity.
We were pulled over not long ago by the Highway Patrol.
That guy tagged us from the opposite direction. They've really gone out of their way looking for minor infractions.

This guy went well out of his way to get across the center divider and catch up with us. He jerked open my door so fast I almost fell out of my seat. Good thing I was buckled in or I would have. His reason for pulling us over? Speeding. said we were doing 82, our speedometer said 65. He was extremely rude, borderline nut case. He let us off with a warning.. Nice of him, really.. It was an unnecessary pull over. We were going with the flow of traffic. Why don't they enforce the law when people DON'T pull over when they see emergency vehicles lights on?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #310
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I Hate Mice Part II

I ordered another mouse because the wireless mouse eats batteries and it's annoying to be interrupted.

I checked the order tracking yesterday and it said had been forwarded, BY ME!

I found the original confirmation from Walmart, and replied to customer service that I did not forward it and to please have it delivered.

They sent me a generic answer that had nothing at all to do with the topic so I checked the tracking and it reads as if it is out for delivery. The notations were changed so maybe I'll get it today.

My old backup mouse quit working. I often had to bang on it to get it started, plus it has a retractable cord, very short.

I got an extension cord with the wireless mouse so I was able to have a working mouse. It kept getting knocked to the floor and finally died completely.

If the batteries go on this one, I'll have to use the one on the laptop. I really, really hate that because I always brush it while I'm typing.

Thanks. It does feel better to get it out.