"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #3111
Chef Extraordinaire

I am on Vicodin for my hip and spine. Take two, three times a day. I receive a ten day supply each refill. I hate taking them They leave my mouth so dry. I only take one. And some days none at all. It all depends on how much I walk or stand. My present refill has lasted me 17 days so far. And I still have some left. I hate taking pain medications or mind altering ones. My needing the Lorazapam the other day was a rare occurence. The last time I took it was five years ago when some stupid doctor told me that my leg couldn't be saved.

Yet I am the first one to feel that if someone is in acute pain, they should ask for something to releive it. The same goes for mental distress. I have a very high tolerance for pain. If I just sit down when the pain starts (and I hate to do that) it does subside. I have yet to accept the fact that I am not superhuman. But one thing at a time. I am presently still learning to not be so stubborn. And that is a big order.

I am grateful to have these drugs available to me if and when I need them. When I ask for them I always remember the first thing new doctors are taught.

I Will DO No Harm

And I know that if they refuse me, it is in my best interest. Allowing a patient to be in pain without offering help, is doing harm.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #3112
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I know its not for everyone, but I get tremendous relief from yoga. They have special restorative classes designed to help manage pain, in various body parts. I was told about 13 years ago I'd be on painkillers daily forever (at the time it was Vioxx) and I take nothing unless I do something stupid.
It's the doing something stupid that gets you every time (for me it was of all things, walking in my sleep). I'm not crazy about Yoga (requires more patience, flexibility, and balance than I have, and yes, I know if I did it regularly it would probably improve the latter two). But I do take yoga's baby sister, Pilates, and find it to be a great deal of help. It really helps with posture, which in turn helps with back pain. I call it yoga's baby sister because all of my Pilates instructors have been Yoga instructors, so the version of Pilates I take has a lot of Yoga stretches mixed in.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #3113
Sous Chef

Today I came down with the worst UTI I've ever had in my life. Had to sit through my early class feeling like I had to go to the bathroom the entire time. I thought it was the coffee. If I had known it was a UTI coming on, I would have just gone!!! It's amazing how suddenly it came on. I usually feel them creeping. There was even enough blood to make my urine red. I'm so upset I couldn't get into the doctor today. I am so uncomfortable!!!! The AZO I took finally seems to be helping a little. I've also been drinking so much water I have to go every half hour. The bright orange color from the AZO is a little unnerving.... Tomorrow I have to sit through 2 morning classes before I can go to the doctor. I refuse to start the year off behind. I know myself, and with how much there always is to do at the start of the year I would have a hard time getting caught back up. I read a warm compress could make me feel better, but it was unclear whether to put it on my bladder, or on my urethra... Anyone ever tried this? And does anyone know how to keep it from getting ten times worse overnight? I need to be able to function in the morning...
Old 08-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #3114
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Today I came down with the worst UTI I've ever had in my life. Had to sit through my early class feeling like I had to go to the bathroom the entire time. I thought it was the coffee. If I had known it was a UTI coming on, I would have just gone!!! It's amazing how suddenly it came on. I usually feel them creeping. There was even enough blood to make my urine red. I'm so upset I couldn't get into the doctor today. I am so uncomfortable!!!! The AZO I took finally seems to be helping a little. I've also been drinking so much water I have to go every half hour. The bright orange color from the AZO is a little unnerving.... Tomorrow I have to sit through 2 morning classes before I can go to the doctor. I refuse to start the year off behind. I know myself, and with how much there always is to do at the start of the year I would have a hard time getting caught back up. I read a warm compress could make me feel better, but it was unclear whether to put it on my bladder, or on my urethra... Anyone ever tried this? And does anyone know how to keep it from getting ten times worse overnight? I need to be able to function in the morning...
Oh no! (((hugs))). Doesn't the university have an emergency clinic?
Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #3115
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
Oh no! (((hugs))). Doesn't the university have an emergency clinic?
Hmm I don't know. It's probably too late now anyway... Even if they have anything this late it would probably be more expensive. I'll just toughen up and wait til tomorrow. Not looking forward to tomorrow morning tho :(
Old 08-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #3116
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

So sorry Skittle! Hope you get some relief. Cranberry juice?
Old 08-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #3117
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver
So sorry Skittle! Hope you get some relief. Cranberry juice?
I took some cranberry pills. Hopefully that will help keep it from getting too much worse overnight... Garlic is supposed to be a natural anti microbial too, and I had some garlic tablets (not the useless low odor kind lol) on hand anyway, so I took one of those too. The AZO seems to be working. This is the first time I've tried it- the UTI's I've had in the past were mild so I never bothered. Sent poor bf to the store to get it. I told him he should pick up some miconazole cream and tampons while he was in that aisle and see if the cashier gives him bf of the year award ha ha ha... I don't think he was as amused as me ::
Old 08-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #3118
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Double up on the AZO and garlic, tonight and in the morning. Lots of water to keep your system flushed. You want to make your urine as acid as possible.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #3119
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Double up on the AZO and garlic, tonight and in the morning. Lots of water to keep your system flushed. You want to make your urine as acid as possible.
Is it safe to double up on the AZO? The cranberry pills have vitamin C too so that helps with the acidity. Maybe I should drink some orange juice. We actually happen to have some...
Old 08-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #3120
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Is it safe to double up on the AZO? The cranberry pills have vitamin C too so that helps with the acidity. Maybe I should drink some orange juice. We actually happen to have some...
Did you get AZO Cranberry? If so, it's just concentrated cranberry, won't hurt you. There is also an AZO UTI Pain relief, that one take as directed.