"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #311
Head Chef

Medicare Costs

The whole health care subject makes my stomach hurt. When I moved to FL a couple of years ago, I had a Medicare Advantage plan with no - zero $ - premiums. Found out the doctor I was assigned down here was in another county with no local hospital privileges. So, signed up for the AARP Medicare Supplement plan with a hefty monthly premium. Just got a letter from them that it will be increased by around $7 a month starting Jan., so was considering signing up with a premium-free plan that has become available, before the open enrollment ends Dec. 31. But asking around, I found that the plans with no premium aren't accepted everywhere and don't do that well if you really become sick. So I decided to just swallow hard and leave things as they are and pay the stupid increase. Shall I hope I get something serious wrong with me to make my decision look smart?

The older I get the more impatient I am with lots of things and people. Used to give it/them the benefit of the doubt, but am getting pretty tired of that.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #312
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
The whole health care subject makes my stomach hurt. When I moved to FL a couple of years ago, I had a Medicare Advantage plan with no - zero $ - premiums. Found out the doctor I was assigned down here was in another county with no local hospital privileges. So, signed up for the AARP Medicare Supplement plan with a hefty monthly premium. Just got a letter from them that it will be increased by around $7 a month starting Jan., so was considering signing up with a premium-free plan that has become available, before the open enrollment ends Dec. 31. But asking around, I found that the plans with no premium aren't accepted everywhere and don't do that well if you really become sick. So I decided to just swallow hard and leave things as they are and pay the stupid increase. Shall I hope I get something serious wrong with me to make my decision look smart?

The older I get the more impatient I am with lots of things and people. Used to give it/them the benefit of the doubt, but am getting pretty tired of that.
Is there any good reason not to sign up for the no premium plan and keep the AARP Medicare Supplement plan?

Old 12-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #313
Master Chef

Being in my age group and self-employed, it sucks to have to pay for HMO insurance premiums. Our premium increases have averaged 15% yearly for as far as I can remember.
It'll eventually come to a point where it'll be more cost effective for me to seek a new career, working for someone else, regardless of pay, which offers good medical/dental plan for me and my wife.

Currently, our insurance premium is our single most expensive monthly payment we make and that doesn't cover dental. We pay cash for dental work when needed.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #314
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I Hate Mice Part III

On one good note, the mouse I ordered from Walmart was in my mailbox today.

It works just fine, the plain old cheap-o.

HOWEVER: What's going on with the sizes? Mice used to be one size.

The one I got with the computer, was smaller than "normal". I really enjoyed the way it fit my hand. That's the one with the short retractable cord Grrrr.

The next one I got had the wrong plug. They show a picture of it when you order it, showing that it has a cord, but doesn't show the plug end. Took it back, Grrrrr.

The third one I decided to go wireless. It eats batteries and not only was larger, but with two AA batteries, much heavier to push around. Grrrrr.

My newest has a cord so I don't have to buy batteries by the busload, I can deal with the cord since it is long enough, but this one is huge. It is the size of a rat! Grrr.

I know I'll get used to it, but just had to get that last Grrr out.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #315
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Is there any good reason not to sign up for the no premium plan and keep the AARP Medicare Supplement plan?
Sorry, Taxlady - I don't understand what would be the purpose of having both, and I'm not even sure they'll let you belong to more than one. Is there some advantage? I've missed the window for this year, but if it would make sense, perhaps I'll try again next Fall if it's a good move. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #316
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Sorry, Taxlady - I don't understand what would be the purpose of having both, and I'm not even sure they'll let you belong to more than one. Is there some advantage? I've missed the window for this year, but if it would make sense, perhaps I'll try again next Fall if it's a good move. Thanks.
I figured you could get a proper feel for the no premium plan that way, without risking being left without adequate coverage.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #317
Master Chef

they won't cover an incredibly pertinent item 4 me. aw, well.....i found
loopholes & got the item w/out $$.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #318
Honey Badger

DMV Is Frustrating

4 hours and I'm still waiting to make an appointment to renew my license. My Insurance company just notified me that if I don't renew by the 11th of this month I won't be covered anymore. I revert back to a newbie driver. I will have to pay double to be reinstated.

It takes 6 weeks to receive the new license and they wait until the lat minute to tell me.

I don't think I want one now. I'll walk!

Munky.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #319
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
4 hours and I'm still waiting to make an appointment to renew my license. My Insurance company just notified me that if I don't renew by the 11th of this month I won't be covered anymore. I revert back to a newbie driver. I will have to pay double to be reinstated.

It takes 6 weeks to receive the new license and they wait until the lat minute to tell me.

I don't think I want one now. I'll walk!

Munky.
Are you in California?? Six weeks to receive a new one??? That's
Old 01-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #320
Master Chef

State workers....especially at the DMV.....figures....