"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #3261
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Cute, Barbara!

So, my GP talked to the cardiologist who said he put me on the aspirin and blood thinner for a reason and I should just suck it up and not worry about the bruising unless I have other bleeding as PF said.

My doctor is fuming! She didn't send me to this guy, the hospital did and while she isn't a cardiologist she said my tests don't seem so bad - that the angiogram is just to be safe and with my other conditions she is worried more about the drugs and the bruising than me having a heart attack. She is going to get me in to see a new cardiologist ASAP. She won't change the medication until she can get the second opinion but if I have other symptoms I am to go off the aspirin first and then contact her office ASAP.

My doctor is really good (she actually phoned me today twice and the cardiologist on her day off because the receptionist thought it was serious enough to contact her). She wants us to photograph the bruising and I need to phone in the morning for an emergency appointment to see her as she is fully booked. They know I will be calling but they have to follow procedure.

This is the second time a doctor has told me to "suck it up". The first one was an orthopedic surgeon who said that no one would touch my knee for 10 years and I would just have to suck it up with the pain and inability to walk. I had the replacement surgery 6 months later by another doctor who when it was done said I couldn't have waited one year let alone 10!
If you and I weren't nice Christian ladies, I would suggest that you wave your fist in that cardiologist's face and say, "Oh yeah?! Suck THIS up!"

Old 10-25-2012, 08:22 PM   #3262
Certified Pretend Chef

Laurie your GP sounds great and your cardiologist is an ass. If it was me, I'd change cardiologists.

I hope you and the GP can get your stuff straight ASAP. Take care.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #3263
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That cardiologist sounds like one of the doctors I dealt with in the ER a couple of years ago. I had fallen on the sidewalk and my knee hurt like the dickens. I had broken my kneecap 10 years previously, so I had a brace for that. I was wearing it at the ER.

Doctor, "Why are you wearing that?" points at the brace.
Me, "Because it hurts when I don't."
Doctor, "Quit being such a big baby."
Me, "But what if the kneecap is broken."
Doctor, "Don't be silly. It isn't broken."
Me, "Then why does it hurt like a broken bone."
Doctor, "It's arthritis."

No, I don't have arthritis; yes, it was broken.

Someone should teach those doctors that the body doesn't make pain to be mean, it makes pain to tell you to change something or stop doing something.

If I had listened to that doctor walked around without the brace, I would probably have needed surgery and staples in the kneecap. That's what the other doctor told me.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #3264
Chef Extraordinaire

Gotta get this off my chest.

I'm the vice president of the Danish Club in Montreal. Our treasurer resigned in February. Our secretary said he would take over until the end of the next election if I would help. He wanted to do the accounting the way he saw fit and didn't want to hear what I and a chartered accountant tried to explain. Too complicated. It was agreed that he would keep track of the money and expenses and someone else would do the financial statements.

Now he has prepared the year end financial statement, or so he thinks. It doesn't come close. It only goes from February to October. Okay, it doesn't have to follow GAAP (generally accepted accounting practices), but it does have to be clear, be complete, and make sense. He thought I was going to audit his financial statement. I don't know how to audit properly. I do know how to make a financial statement. I have to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

He won't give me the password to the bank account. He wants me to have my own password. I would prefer that, but they don't do that with biz accounts. He has a joint account with his wife and they have each their own password, he didn't say so, but I don't think he believes me. When we all went to the bank and gave our signatures, they explained about the one password. We agreed that that was alright.

I asked him to download the transactions. He doesn't think I need them, because I have everything in hard copy. He sent me a screen shot of the last 30 days of transactions. I can't even copy and paste from a screen shot.

Now I will have to enter everything by hand. I'm using QuickBooks® so I can get the nice reports. It would have been nice to import those transactions from the bank.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #3265
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Gotta get this off my chest.

I'm the vice president of the Danish Club in Montreal. Our treasurer resigned in February. Our secretary said he would take over until the end of the next election if I would help. He wanted to do the accounting the way he saw fit and didn't want to hear what I and a chartered accountant tried to explain. Too complicated. It was agreed that he would keep track of the money and expenses and someone else would do the financial statements.

Now he has prepared the year end financial statement, or so he thinks. It doesn't come close. It only goes from February to October. Okay, it doesn't have to follow GAAP (generally accepted accounting practices), but it does have to be clear, be complete, and make sense. He thought I was going to audit his financial statement. I don't know how to audit properly. I do know how to make a financial statement. I have to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

He won't give me the password to the bank account. He wants me to have my own password. I would prefer that, but they don't do that with biz accounts. He has a joint account with his wife and they have each their own password, he didn't say so, but I don't think he believes me. When we all went to the bank and gave our signatures, they explained about the one password. We agreed that that was alright.

I asked him to download the transactions. He doesn't think I need them, because I have everything in hard copy. He sent me a screen shot of the last 30 days of transactions. I can't even copy and paste from a screen shot.

Now I will have to enter everything by hand. I'm using QuickBooks® so I can get the nice reports. It would have been nice to import those transactions from the bank.
As a retired accountant, I feel your pain. Since you are a signer on the account, can't you get the info from the bank in person or do you need the PW?

I would insist on his cooperation. Tell him you feel obligated to tell the club members your professional opinion of the financial report.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #3266
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
As a retired accountant, I feel your pain. Since you are a signer on the account, can't you get the info from the bank in person or do you need the PW?

I would insist on his cooperation. Tell him you feel obligated to tell the club members your professional opinion of the financial report.
I can't get a download from the bank. I have the information. If I go to the bank in person all I can get is hard copy.

The rest of the executive of the club is hearing about my opinion of his financial report and I know he will take offence. Tough noogies. We battle about technology on a regular basis.

He has all the amounts from all the luncheons in Word. He didn't even use the calculator in Word, he just has a column of numbers and a column of descriptions. I'm pretty sure he got the total using a paper and pencil. He didn't want me to give him templates in Excel.

Next year, if we all get re-elected, I will insist on doing the bookkeeping on a monthly basis. And we will figure out something about the online banking.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #3267
Certified Pretend Chef

Sounds like the club needs a new officer - Vice President/Treasurer.

All in favor...
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #3268
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Aye!

I just wonder who gave the password to this idiot. Something sounds very fishy.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #3269
Executive Chef

i can feel your headache from virginia, taxy--one you don't need or deserve. all too often, 'doing the right thing' involves unwonted hardships--almost never is easy or goes smoothly.... :(
Old 11-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #3270
Chef Extraordinaire

I was hired by a church to put all their finances on the computer. They were still in the manual age. What a nightmare. Numbers from Sundays collections on little slips of paper kept in a drawer, no church member list anywhere, no accounting of the weekly envelopes, etc. A disaster area. It took me two years to get it all together and on the computer. I was constantly fighting a group of old members who thought the old way was best. After all the church was 100 years old and had survived all those years without a computer. And why did the church have to pay me? A lot of times I took the work home on an F file and did the work at home with no charge for my hours. So I can understand your frustrations. Stand your ground and don't let him get away with anything.