"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #3281
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm recuperating from the marathon bookkeeping session. I took a three hour nap. I still feel like a wet dish rag, but at least my brain is working again.

I have emailed PDFs of all the reports to the other members of the executive. When they have had a look, they will go to our auditor. That's not for a formal audit. It's just for club purposes. Our auditor is a club member who has stepped up to the plate at the last minute. I think he has an accounting background.

Yeah, I will probably wind up being the treasurer next year.

And thanks everyone for all the encouragement. It helped me get through this mess to know that you guys were rooting for me.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #3282
Head Chef

Been going to the same vet for years.. we tell them we need tails docked and dew claws removed.. and they tell us they dont do inhumane procedures... So we had to scramble to find a vet that we like and trust .. got one .. but man what a pain..

Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #3283
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2"Q" View Post
Been going to the same vet for years.. we tell them we need tails docked and dew claws removed.. and they tell us they dont do inhumane procedures... So we had to scramble to find a vet that we like and trust .. got one .. but man what a pain..
I'm curious, why do you feel that you need tails docked? I assume you are talking about dogs.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #3284
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I'm curious, why do you feel that you need tails docked? I assume you are talking about dogs.
Its for our boxer puppies.. breed standerd...
Old 11-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #3285
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2"Q" View Post
Its for our boxer puppies.. breed standerd...
Will you be showing the pups?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #3286
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
Will you be showing the pups?
No... But the new owners can if they would like...
Old 11-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #3287
Chef Extraordinaire

My neighbour came over today to have copies made of some paperwork she has from the city. It is a letter to the condo association, dated 31 July 2009. It tells them that there is a broken water main on condo property and that they should get it fixed ASAP. The other paper is the results of their inspection on 22 June 2009.

The condo association told my neighbour that we can't afford to fix it. It has now gotten worse. I listened to the noise from outside her basement door and it was really loud. She says she can't sleep for the noise.

I can't believe they are being so stupidly stubborn. When something needs to get fixed, we have to fix it. If we don't have the money, then we have to assess a special fee to be collected from all the condo owners, assuming we don't have the money in our contingency fund. We better danged well have the money in our contingency fund. We have had battles about that in the past. We decided that we have to have a contingency fund. When all the roofs needed to be repaired, we paid a lot of extra money in contingency fund assessment for a couple of years. We didn't ever want to have that happen again.

The city will be sending the condo association a registered letter giving them a deadline to start work on the repair. There will be a daily fine if they don't start the work by the deadline. They danged well better start the work on time. I don't want my condo fees going towards paying fines.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #3288
Certified Pretend Chef

TL, I don't know the structure of your condo association, but where I live, owners can vote out any Board members and vote in new people. Also, you association finances should be available to all owners on request.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #3289
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
TL, I don't know the structure of your condo association, but where I live, owners can vote out any Board members and vote in new people. Also, you association finances should be available to all owners on request.
Yup, we can vote them out at the AGM in June. I can certainly get another copy of the finances as of the last AGM. I might be able to get a copy of the current state of our finances, but I have my doubts. I don't think they are well enough organized to have anything up to date between AGMs.

I missed the last AGM. I think I wasn't feeling well. I try to go to them, even though I hate them. I dislike the squabbling and petty nonsense. I dislike power tripping. I dislike the lack of common sense.

I can't find the financial statements that they handed out this year. I found the ones from the previous year. At that time we had over $50,000 in the contingency fund. There was nothing in the budget that should have used that up. I haven't heard about any other emergency expenditures.

I would run for rep, but I don't think anyone wants to nominate me. Most of my neighbours are not people I would choose as friends. And I think it would be a real PITA to be a rep with this group. I really admire you for being willing to do the work of being on the board.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #3290
Chef Extraordinaire

Even if I had the money, I would never consider living in a condo. I have heard just too many horror stories about them over the years. I love living here in elderly housing. It is owned by HUD (Housing and Urban Development) a federal agency. They in turn hire a property management agency to run and manage the place. HUD shows up once a year to inspect the property. For every little thing they find wrong, the property agency loses points, and gets paid less money. So management here does fix things as fast as they can. When HUD does show up for inspection, the randomly pick apartments to inspect with a fine tooth comb. My apartment has been inspected twice. The tenant is asked questions and management is not allowed to talk to the tenant or give any answers. It is a great system and I love it.

The property agency is paid $50 for each tenant each month for recreation purposes. So last year they asked me if I enjoyed the extra entertainment and parties. I was stunned by the question. All I could say was we had a really great Christmas party each year. It wasn't a lie, I just didn't tell them that there was no monthly entertainment here. I should have spoken up, but why get someone in trouble when I really didn't care if there is a party each month or not. I wouldn't be participating in any of it anyway. So I let it go.