"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #3341
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You can get them here: Medical History Bracelet CARE Medical History Keychain with 2.0 e-Manager Software

They are simple to keep updated.
Thanks for the info. There is a Canadian site that sells them too: www.icetag.ca They also sell tags to hang on your key chain, attach to your backpack, helmet, shoe,...

I'm waiting to hear back if the USB key is in French and English. In Quebec, I would usually get Francophone first responders who may speak English, but may not read it. Spanish is fairly useless here.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #3342
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I update mine after each Doctor's appointment and it has all my labs in it, too. It's right on my laptop, easy to access. I keep Shrek's up to date, too. All of my POA info and emergency contacts are in there. Med list, insurance info... It's got everything!

Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #3343
Sous Chef

I just found out that only one space belongs after a period, not two. Ugh. I've been doing it wrong my entire life!! Whatever teacher taught me that should go chew on a typewriter. Grr. Back to homework. Seems like I would rather do just about anything else lol
Old 11-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #3344
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I just found out that only one space belongs after a period, not two. Ugh. I've been doing it wrong my entire life!! Whatever teacher taught me that should go chew on a typewriter. Grr. Back to homework. Seems like I would rather do just about anything else lol
No, you weren't taught incorrectly, Skittle. That's the way I was taught, way back when. It's only been very recently that that "rule" has changed.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #3345
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post

No, you weren't taught incorrectly, Skittle. That's the way I was taught, way back when. It's only been very recently that that "rule" has changed.
A single space has been standard since 1950 when the font is proportional. Two spaces is acceptable on a typewriter, or with a font that uses the same amount of space for a skinny letter (I) as a thicker letter (W), because all the open space makes it harder to distinguish between sentences. Hitting that space bar twice is a hard habit to break- I keep having to go back and correct it lol
Old 11-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #3346
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Yep, Katie is right. When I took typing in junior high we were taught to always put one space after a comma and two after a period (and all end punctuation marks).
Old 11-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #3347
Executive Chef

that two-space after a period rule is still a habit with me when i type. my computer "corrects" my text by adjusting the double space to single. am i anal for being mildly annoyed at that? what bothers me even more though, are all the changes in word spellings that have been made in recent years. my way of spelling many words is now considered to be an 'alternate', or worse yet, 'archaic' spelling---sheesh!!

d'ya see what i'm saying? i double-spaced after every period in my post--am doing it right now too....
Old 11-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #3348
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
A single space has been standard since 1950 when the font is proportional. Two spaces is acceptable on a typewriter, or with a font that uses the same amount of space for a skinny letter (I) as a thicker letter (W), because all the open space makes it harder to distinguish between sentences. Hitting that space bar twice is a hard habit to break- I keep having to go back and correct it lol
Me too. Two spaces at the end of a sentence. I never bother to correct that to one because I don't write anywhere it's a problem. I don't think most people notice.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #3349
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I learned to type in 1962. I learned to put two spaces, since the typewriters at that time had fixed width font. I don't remember how long ago I switched to single space after punctuation.

I was also taught to indent paragraphs and not to leave a blank line, except for business letters. Just about all of us got used to doing that.

And Andy, if you ever do need to write something where someone cares if it is one space, you can always "search and replace" the two spaces to one.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #3350
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

Me too. Two spaces at the end of a sentence. I never bother to correct that to one because I don't write anywhere it's a problem. I don't think most people notice.
I am just anal. Even though most people don't care one way or the other, I care. My iPhone does one space for me even though I hit the space bar twice, so that's why my posts on here are all correct lol.