"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #3391
Master Chef

Thanks Tax!

Old 12-08-2012, 03:02 AM   #3392
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Well, I'm kind of ticked because the same vacuum cleaner that I bought at Costco 6 weeks ago is $55 off this week. Had I known about this upcoming sale I would have waited to make the purchase.
I'm going there this evening to see if I can get a credit for the difference. Knowing Costco's excellent return policy I'm sure they'll honor the sale price and hand me over $55 plus tax. I'll hand that money right back at them by my purchasing some Prime cuts of meat....LOL...
Good luck RF, hope you get the credit

Old 12-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #3393
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Being that English is not my first language, it is even harder for me to understand when people talk in riddles. I hate that. Speak your mind, say what you mean, don't go around beating on a bush (or whatever the expression is). I feel your pain, Skittle.
My father's first language was not English, neither were any of my girlfriend's mothers when I was a kid. At one point, as we were traveling, my husband asked me, "Is her mother French, too?" Yes. "your father is French-Canadian, and all your childhood friends had French war brides as mothers?" Yes. All of them. No, I had one friend in Germany who's mother was French Canadian.

If you find yourself in a place or position where you need to deal with people who are not native English speakers, or are hard of hearing, you need to learn to look that person in the face while talking, and use your hands and an expressive face. Part of my youth was spent in France and Germany, and we took trips to Quebec and Slovenia. The latter language is very, very difficult (since, as I've mentioned, I came from a French-speaking background, although I'm not anyway near good at it, my ear is more attuned to it). I guess I'm saying I didn't have an "ear" for Slovene. But you'd be amazed at what you can "get" from body language. Make eye contact. Do not mumble into your collar. Sounds obvious, but, in fact, people do. Bank tellers, checkout people at the grocery store. They don't look you in the face. Look the person you're dealing with in the face. Do you want to be understood? Then look that person in the face when you are talking to them.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #3394
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Good luck RF, hope you get the credit
Thanks, I got the credit, no problem.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #3395
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Thanks, I got the credit, no problem.
w00t!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #3396
Master Chef

Thanks Tax! But instead of buying meat with that money, as I as walking though the camera isle these digital cameras were calling my name. They somehow knew my old camera was on its last leg so I made an impulse buy. I picked up a nice little point and shoot Canon.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #3397
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
In one of my stupid online classes, we are required to read every single post and response by every person. The teacher can see if we did. So I read, or at the very least skim through, every single one, and the teacher just posted under my discussions grade that I only read 58/143 posting. WHAT??! This must be some kind of computer error... I sent her an email, and if she doesn't fix this I'm going to be so mad... It's a medical class so you need 94% for an A, and I'm already at like 96% because of the horrible wording on her assignments. I got 50% on one assignment because the questions were so vague I was answering questions about injury log records, and she was talking about exposure report forms. I guess I'm supposed to be psychic, and know what she's talking about when she just asks about documentation. She said it wouldn't be fair to the other students if she gave me the points, even though my answers were right in relation to OSHA's sharps injury log :/ Why do some teachers seem to enjoy confusing us? Isn't the point to make sure we know the material??

Aww, and on a side note I just got an email from a different teacher thanking me for my patience throughout the semester: "You are a truly great student who needs to be challenged and your academic abilities will bring you far. Regrettably, a number of your classmates were not quite prepared for a college level course, so thank you for being patient."

Cool!!
Phew, it was an error on the teachers part. That means I just need at least 85% on the final exam, and I should have an A in the class :)
Old 12-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #3398
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Phew, it was an error on the teachers part. That means I just need at least 85% on the final exam, and I should have an A in the class :)
Yay! Good job, Skittles! Proud of you for sticking to your guns.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #3399
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yay! Good job, Skittles! Proud of you for sticking to your guns.
+1
Old 12-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #3400
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks Tax! But instead of buying meat with that money, as I as walking though the camera isle these digital cameras were calling my name. They somehow knew my old camera was on its last leg so I made an impulse buy. I picked up a nice little point and shoot Canon.
I'm quite fond of my Canon point and shoot. I just need to buy a tripod for it.