"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #3511
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Bakechef, I would get an external hard drive. They aren't expensive nowadays and then you can use it when you eventually upgrade the laptop.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #3512
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Bakechef, I would get an external hard drive. They aren't expensive nowadays and then you can use it when you eventually upgrade the laptop.
I'd put the new drive in to make the machine "fresh", I made the old laptop drive into an external and mounted it on the network, so i'd still have access to the files. Now I'll wait for the new drive, and set up the new operating system all over again! Oh, well....
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #3513
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I'd put the new drive in to make the machine "fresh", I made the old laptop drive into an external and mounted it on the network, so i'd still have access to the files. Now I'll wait for the new drive, and set up the new operating system all over again! Oh, well....
What a pain in the patooty.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #3514
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,167
Well, let's see...ready for a rant about the hospital where I had my knee surgery? You're going to get one anyway.

I'm still trying to get the hospital bill straightened out from my knee surgery in early November. Yes, over 6 months ago. Soon 7 months.

I've talked to so many people at the hospital, my head is about to explode and I now have a folder that is nearly an inch thick that contains the bill (incorrect), communications with the insurance company and pages and pages and pages of my detailed notes with the hospital personnel.

On April 16 I talked with a person who was supposed to "take care of" the mess. She assured me that she'd be right on top of it and communicate with the insurance company so everyone would be comparing apples to apples. Yeah, right!! I heard the words, hoped some of what she said would bear fruit, but.......

So, since it's been about 6 weeks, I thought that would be ample time to rectify things or at least have a good start at it, I called my insurance company this morning. They have heard nothing from the hospital. Nothing since some time in February. Nada, nothing, zero, zip, big goose egg!!!!!

I'm so angry I can't see straight. Real helpful hospital!!! NOT!! But when it comes to them wanting their money, they'll call you a few days after sending their bill (by the way, 5 months after the date of service) so they can set you up on a payment plan. I'm ready to hit people and break things.

I'm sick to death of this crap and, by Monday, I will have a plan.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:34 AM   #3515
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Well, let's see...ready for a rant about the hospital where I had my knee surgery? You're going to get one anyway.

I'm still trying to get the hospital bill straightened out from my knee surgery in early November. Yes, over 6 months ago. Soon 7 months.

I've talked to so many people at the hospital, my head is about to explode and I now have a folder that is nearly an inch thick that contains the bill (incorrect), communications with the insurance company and pages and pages and pages of my detailed notes with the hospital personnel.

On April 16 I talked with a person who was supposed to "take care of" the mess. She assured me that she'd be right on top of it and communicate with the insurance company so everyone would be comparing apples to apples. Yeah, right!! I heard the words, hoped some of what she said would bear fruit, but.......

So, since it's been about 6 weeks, I thought that would be ample time to rectify things or at least have a good start at it, I called my insurance company this morning. They have heard nothing from the hospital. Nothing since some time in February. Nada, nothing, zero, zip, big goose egg!!!!!

I'm so angry I can't see straight. Real helpful hospital!!! NOT!! But when it comes to them wanting their money, they'll call you a few days after sending their bill (by the way, 5 months after the date of service) so they can set you up on a payment plan. I'm ready to hit people and break things.

I'm sick to death of this crap and, by Monday, I will have a plan.
You have an itemized bill from the hospital? This is beyond ridiculous for you. Sorry you are going through this Katie, hopefully your insurance company will stand up for you.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #3516
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,292
You have my deepest sympathies Katie. A few years back I went through insurance hell trying to straighten out an emergency visit bill for my...knee. What IS it with that body part? Anyway, the issue was with terminology in my case. The Emergency Room was not called that because the clinic was at a national park on federal ground. They call things differently in the gubmint. Since the right name wasn't used the insurance company didn't want to pay. I ended up getting things cleared up and paid but it took me months and months and all kinds of "proof" including Google topo maps showing that where I was would have taken almost 3 hours to get to what they considered a hospital ER. As it was it took an hour to get to the NP clinic. But my case DID get paid by insurance. I'm sure if you beat on the right people it will work out for you too. Good luck and keep us updated.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:41 AM   #3517
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,080
Hang in there Katie. You are much stronger than the hospital people who don't know their job and don't know the meaning of "follow through."
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:06 AM   #3518
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Boy, can I identify with medical bills. It is just too weird to believe. I fractured my hip LAST JULY. The paperwork grows and grows, and the bills keep on coming. Statements from one insurance company, statements from another company. The hospital, two ambulance companies, the various doctors. And I was in & out in less than 3 days, and only had a couple of follow-on visits and a few PT sessions. I often do not understand how older people keep it straight because I'm thoroughly confused and started avoiding doctors the day I got our of the Air Force. It isn't that pain that gets me, it's the pain in the derriere of all the paperwork and the pain in the checkbook.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #3519
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Well, let's see...ready for a rant about the hospital where I had my knee surgery? You're going to get one anyway.

I'm still trying to get the hospital bill straightened out from my knee surgery in early November. Yes, over 6 months ago. Soon 7 months.

I've talked to so many people at the hospital, my head is about to explode and I now have a folder that is nearly an inch thick that contains the bill (incorrect), communications with the insurance company and pages and pages and pages of my detailed notes with the hospital personnel.

On April 16 I talked with a person who was supposed to "take care of" the mess. She assured me that she'd be right on top of it and communicate with the insurance company so everyone would be comparing apples to apples. Yeah, right!! I heard the words, hoped some of what she said would bear fruit, but.......

So, since it's been about 6 weeks, I thought that would be ample time to rectify things or at least have a good start at it, I called my insurance company this morning. They have heard nothing from the hospital. Nothing since some time in February. Nada, nothing, zero, zip, big goose egg!!!!!

I'm so angry I can't see straight. Real helpful hospital!!! NOT!! But when it comes to them wanting their money, they'll call you a few days after sending their bill (by the way, 5 months after the date of service) so they can set you up on a payment plan. I'm ready to hit people and break things.

I'm sick to death of this crap and, by Monday, I will have a plan.
Don't upset yourself.

Be the cat, let them be the mouse!

If your knee is working and you have not sent them the final payment you are the one that is winning and in control.

Just continue to document the heck out of everything, that is where most people fall down.

It will all work out eventually.
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #3520
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Wow Katie! What a PITA. (((Hugs)))

When I lived in Denmark, they decided that tourists would be covered by Danish medicare for anything that happened/started in Denmark. They said it was because the paperwork to collect cost so much that it was just more efficient (and nicer) not to charge them.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.