"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #3511
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Bakechef, I would get an external hard drive. They aren't expensive nowadays and then you can use it when you eventually upgrade the laptop.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #3512
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Bakechef, I would get an external hard drive. They aren't expensive nowadays and then you can use it when you eventually upgrade the laptop.
I'd put the new drive in to make the machine "fresh", I made the old laptop drive into an external and mounted it on the network, so i'd still have access to the files. Now I'll wait for the new drive, and set up the new operating system all over again! Oh, well....

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #3513
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I'd put the new drive in to make the machine "fresh", I made the old laptop drive into an external and mounted it on the network, so i'd still have access to the files. Now I'll wait for the new drive, and set up the new operating system all over again! Oh, well....
What a pain in the patooty.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #3514
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Well, let's see...ready for a rant about the hospital where I had my knee surgery? You're going to get one anyway.

I'm still trying to get the hospital bill straightened out from my knee surgery in early November. Yes, over 6 months ago. Soon 7 months.

I've talked to so many people at the hospital, my head is about to explode and I now have a folder that is nearly an inch thick that contains the bill (incorrect), communications with the insurance company and pages and pages and pages of my detailed notes with the hospital personnel.

On April 16 I talked with a person who was supposed to "take care of" the mess. She assured me that she'd be right on top of it and communicate with the insurance company so everyone would be comparing apples to apples. Yeah, right!! I heard the words, hoped some of what she said would bear fruit, but.......

So, since it's been about 6 weeks, I thought that would be ample time to rectify things or at least have a good start at it, I called my insurance company this morning. They have heard nothing from the hospital. Nothing since some time in February. Nada, nothing, zero, zip, big goose egg!!!!!

I'm so angry I can't see straight. Real helpful hospital!!! NOT!! But when it comes to them wanting their money, they'll call you a few days after sending their bill (by the way, 5 months after the date of service) so they can set you up on a payment plan. I'm ready to hit people and break things.

I'm sick to death of this crap and, by Monday, I will have a plan.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:34 AM   #3515
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Well, let's see...ready for a rant about the hospital where I had my knee surgery? You're going to get one anyway.

I'm still trying to get the hospital bill straightened out from my knee surgery in early November. Yes, over 6 months ago. Soon 7 months.

I've talked to so many people at the hospital, my head is about to explode and I now have a folder that is nearly an inch thick that contains the bill (incorrect), communications with the insurance company and pages and pages and pages of my detailed notes with the hospital personnel.

On April 16 I talked with a person who was supposed to "take care of" the mess. She assured me that she'd be right on top of it and communicate with the insurance company so everyone would be comparing apples to apples. Yeah, right!! I heard the words, hoped some of what she said would bear fruit, but.......

So, since it's been about 6 weeks, I thought that would be ample time to rectify things or at least have a good start at it, I called my insurance company this morning. They have heard nothing from the hospital. Nothing since some time in February. Nada, nothing, zero, zip, big goose egg!!!!!

I'm so angry I can't see straight. Real helpful hospital!!! NOT!! But when it comes to them wanting their money, they'll call you a few days after sending their bill (by the way, 5 months after the date of service) so they can set you up on a payment plan. I'm ready to hit people and break things.

You have an itemized bill from the hospital? This is beyond ridiculous for you. Sorry you are going through this Katie, hopefully your insurance company will stand up for you.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #3516
Master Chef

You have my deepest sympathies Katie. A few years back I went through insurance hell trying to straighten out an emergency visit bill for my...knee. What IS it with that body part? Anyway, the issue was with terminology in my case. The Emergency Room was not called that because the clinic was at a national park on federal ground. They call things differently in the gubmint. Since the right name wasn't used the insurance company didn't want to pay. I ended up getting things cleared up and paid but it took me months and months and all kinds of "proof" including Google topo maps showing that where I was would have taken almost 3 hours to get to what they considered a hospital ER. As it was it took an hour to get to the NP clinic. But my case DID get paid by insurance. I'm sure if you beat on the right people it will work out for you too. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:41 AM   #3517
Chef Extraordinaire

Hang in there Katie. You are much stronger than the hospital people who don't know their job and don't know the meaning of "follow through."
Old 06-02-2013, 04:06 AM   #3518
Master Chef

Boy, can I identify with medical bills. It is just too weird to believe. I fractured my hip LAST JULY. The paperwork grows and grows, and the bills keep on coming. Statements from one insurance company, statements from another company. The hospital, two ambulance companies, the various doctors. And I was in & out in less than 3 days, and only had a couple of follow-on visits and a few PT sessions. I often do not understand how older people keep it straight because I'm thoroughly confused and started avoiding doctors the day I got our of the Air Force. It isn't that pain that gets me, it's the pain in the derriere of all the paperwork and the pain in the checkbook.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #3519
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post

Don't upset yourself.

Be the cat, let them be the mouse!

If your knee is working and you have not sent them the final payment you are the one that is winning and in control.

Just continue to document the heck out of everything, that is where most people fall down.

It will all work out eventually.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #3520
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow Katie! What a PITA. (((Hugs)))

When I lived in Denmark, they decided that tourists would be covered by Danish medicare for anything that happened/started in Denmark. They said it was because the paperwork to collect cost so much that it was just more efficient (and nicer) not to charge them.