"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #3581
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I think what you are doing is wonderful!!!
The slaughtering makes no sense to me. Some folks are just plain "Stupid!" Knowing CWS as we do, what else could she do but to take them in. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't start rescuing chickens and finding homes for them like she does her St. Bernards. She has a heart as big as her St. Bernards. I wonder if she has a special guest coop for them.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #3582
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The slaughtering makes no sense to me. Some folks are just plain "Stupid!" Knowing CWS as we do, what else could she do but to take them in. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't start rescuing chickens and finding homes for them like she does her St. Bernards. She has a heart as big as her St. Bernards. I wonder if she has a special guest coop for them.
You pegged me, Addie. I set up a special coop for these girls. Still waiting to see if they arrive. It is up to the owners if they want to entrust them into my care or that of the HS (personally, I think it is a no-brainer). Y'all know that I think everyone should have chickens at least once and municipalities that outlaw backyard chickens are not helping--with 1 out of 5 children going to bed hungry in North America, it makes no sense to restrict a family's means of producing a source of food.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #3583
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I can see banning roosters because they are just obnoxious in a suburban setting, but a few chickens isn't going to hurt anything. I doubt that the neighbors would even notice.

We have a good friend that had chickens in her suburban back yard, that's where she cut teeth so to speak on chicken rearing. Now she has a farm and lots more chickens. I think that this is what she is cut out for. She is raising some, from chicks and has what it takes to "cull" the aggressive nuisance roosters for the freezer... I'm not sure that I'd have the stomach for that. It surprises me because she didn't grow up on a farm. When the previous owners left, they abandoned about 20 chickens. She was able to tame quite a few of them to live in a coop again, and the ones that couldn't be, well, you know!

It's interesting how she can care so much for them, but in the end, know that they are a source of food and not pets.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #3584
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I can see banning roosters because they are just obnoxious in a suburban setting, but a few chickens isn't going to hurt anything. I doubt that the neighbors would even notice.

We have a good friend that had chickens in her suburban back yard, that's where she cut teeth so to speak on chicken rearing. Now she has a farm and lots more chickens. I think that this is what she is cut out for. She is raising some, from chicks and has what it takes to "cull" the aggressive nuisance roosters for the freezer... I'm not sure that I'd have the stomach for that. It surprises me because she didn't grow up on a farm. When the previous owners left, they abandoned about 20 chickens. She was able to tame quite a few of them to live in a coop again, and the ones that couldn't be, well, you know!

It's interesting how she can care so much for them, but in the end, know that they are a source of food and not pets.
Chickens are fairly easy to "tame." They will follow the person who offers them food. They just don't have great memories. I think it is 50 x of one "click" to train a chicken re: clicker training and 6 x to train a dog. I never thought I'd like having birds, but I love my hens. They entertain me.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #3585
Head Chef

I recently saw a documentary from a vegan, "Vegucated," that exposed several regular old carnivores to the practices of commercial/industrial animal 'farmers.' I have cut back on my meat-buying and meat-eating habits for a year or so now, and was aware for the most part of what happens down on the big farms now. I wasn't prepared to see the little chicks come tumbling down the sorter, potential laying hens down this chute, little roosters-to-be down that one. Don't need all those males. I presume they turn the unwanted fowl into pet food. I've bought a lot of dog and cat food over the years and check for protein content in them -- chicken meal figures greatly in the contents.

I guess I just don't want to think about the reality of where the incredible amount of pet-food protein comes from. So many cans of wet food - I'm afraid to do the math.

And baby cows. And lambs. And little pigs whence come the baby back ribs and later the bacon I adore. Yes, it bothers me, but I don't go vegan. Too many years of indulgence.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #3586
Head Chef

And speaking of chickens, I just read through the "Egg Question" thread. It is full of interesting facts and comments, about both egg and hen. It's very complete - probably all we ever need to know. CWS sure knows her stuff.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #3587
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
You pegged me, Addie. I set up a special coop for these girls. Still waiting to see if they arrive. It is up to the owners if they want to entrust them into my care or that of the HS (personally, I think it is a no-brainer). Y'all know that I think everyone should have chickens at least once and municipalities that outlaw backyard chickens are not helping--with 1 out of 5 children going to bed hungry in North America, it makes no sense to restrict a family's means of producing a source of food.
The Boston Food Bank gets mis shapenbed eggs from some of the farms in surrounding rural areas and are given to families. The carton could contain anything from pullets to double yolkers. But considering they are free to the food bank and then the recipients, not a bad deal.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #3588
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I recently saw a documentary from a vegan, "Vegucated," that exposed several regular old carnivores to the practices of commercial/industrial animal 'farmers.' I have cut back on my meat-buying and meat-eating habits for a year or so now, and was aware for the most part of what happens down on the big farms now. I wasn't prepared to see the little chicks come tumbling down the sorter, potential laying hens down this chute, little roosters-to-be down that one. Don't need all those males. I presume they turn the unwanted fowl into pet food. I've bought a lot of dog and cat food over the years and check for protein content in them -- chicken meal figures greatly in the contents.

I guess I just don't want to think about the reality of where the incredible amount of pet-food protein comes from. So many cans of wet food - I'm afraid to do the math.

And baby cows. And lambs. And little pigs whence come the baby back ribs and later the bacon I adore. Yes, it bothers me, but I don't go vegan. Too many years of indulgence.
The old saying "Everybody loves sausage. But no one wants to see it being made!" comes to mind!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #3589
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Tinlizzie, the Romans figured out what to do with "unwanted" male chicks. Castrate them and they grow up to be big, tender, delicious capons.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #3590
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
What else could I offer? I think it is WRONG that these girls would be slaughtered. So they can come here while their owners duke it out in by-law court.
When I lived in Everett, a couple of towns over from where I live now, and a crowded blue collar community, the people in back of me had chickens. No one complained until one of their chickens started to crow. The police were called, the rooster went into the pot, and they continued to raise their chickens. And the law is very clear. No farm animals can be kept within the city limits. But when it doesn't bother the neighbors, looking the other way is practiced by everyone.