"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #351
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
OH, and I forgot to mention that I was carrying a bucket

Old 01-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #352
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
The hubster watched an AB video on making sawmill gravy. Oh dear. 2 Tblsps of fat to 1/4 cup of flour? Not with whole grain flour at any rate.

I heard distressed noises from the kitchen. I went over to the stove to see if I could help. I have never seen so many lumps in a gravy. I told him to add some more milk and try to smash the lumps with the back of a wooden spoon. It was working, but there were just too many, so I told him to turn off the heat and he would squish them through a sieve (the little one with the tight mesh). I had to show him because he didn't believe it would work. His mum always used a sieve, but her gravy was always lumpy.

I helped him get the gravy off the pan and into the sieve and left him to play with it. He was frustrated and cranky and broadcasting bad vibes all over the place.

When I went in the kitchen to make supper, it was a disaster area. Big blobs of goopy gravy here and there. He hadn't washed anything he had used. Oh joy, wash some dishes so I can cook and clean up goop. All the while I'm still picking up the bad vibes. Well, he calmed down and we had supper. But, by then I was kinda stressed. That's probably why I stupidly burned myself (it's much better now).

Then this evening I got a craving for a salty snack. My DH made me popcorn, even though he didn't want any

So, though I had a fairly stressful evening, cursing gravy lumps, it turned out okay.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #353
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
OH, and I forgot to mention that I was carrying a bucket
Okay, RL, what was the bucket for, the dead mouse? You're not kidding are you? How were you going to pick up this poor mouse, in your bear hands? Ewww.

Short story aside:

While my Mom was away on vacation, a friend had bought a white mouse for his snake, only his snake died and I ended up with the white mouse.

Of course, The mouse had gotten loose in the house before mom got home. She arrived with her sisters and we're all sitting around the living room, when Mousie goes scurrying by. I said, "Oh, by the way, Mom, we have a pet mouse." The silence was deafening.

Mousie become family, of course. I caught Mom putting down pop corn seeds and bits of bread. When I finally caught him and threw him outside, getting nicely bitten in the process, it was peaceful for a while, but Mousie liked being treated so nicely and broke back into the house where he knew he would never starve.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #354
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Okay, RL, what was the bucket for, the dead mouse? You're not kidding are you? How were you going to pick up this poor mouse, in your bear hands? Ewww.

The mouse was alive. I first grabbed the hocey stick to try and reach and scoop the mouse out of the corner where the boxes were piled. Then my big plan was to flick it into a bucket, which was there in the room already. After succeeding at that, I went outside with both the bucket(containing said mouse) and hockey stick to release the mouse. That is where the work gloves come in. I don't know what I was thinking! I had just woken up a few minutes ago. I put both items in the shed before coming back inside. That is when I said hello to my neighbor.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #355
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
The mouse was alive. I first grabbed the hocey stick to try and reach and scoop the mouse out of the corner where the boxes were piled. Then my big plan was to flick it into a bucket, which was there in the room already. After succeeding at that, I went outside with both the bucket(containing said mouse) and hockey stick to release the mouse. That is where the work gloves come in. I don't know what I was thinking! I had just woken up a few minutes ago. I put both items in the shed before coming back inside. That is when I said hello to my neighbor.
Well, I'm really glad you didn't traumatize your daughter, but I also really wish your neighbor had a camera.

In any case, he will have a picture in his mind that will always make him laugh! Me too.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #356
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Well, I'm really glad you didn't traumatize your daughter, but I also really wish your neighbor had a camera.

In any case, he will have a picture in his mind that will always make him laugh! Me too.
I'm about dead from laughing...Thanks RL!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #357
Chef Extraordinaire

once more a cleaning person has not shown up. i registered with heart to heart caregivers for someone one to do light housekeeping. vacuuming, moping, the stuff that wears me out. last week was first appointment. no show and no call. called to complain. the woman in charge called me back. said she had missed a message from the care giver. she was at the e.r. with her aunt.

ok that is a very valid excuse. appointment for today, no show and no phone call either. i called and left a message to forget it and that i would find someone more reliable. no call back.

i don't know why people can't just do what they say they will. it is not like this was a free service. i can't tell you how much it ticks me off. if i was late to pay, they would certainly be johnny on the spot to let me know. good thing i had not paid in advance. so back to the hunt. in meantime will just have to do it myself.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #358
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
once more a cleaning person has not shown up. i registered with heart to heart caregivers for someone one to do light housekeeping. vacuuming, moping, the stuff that wears me out. last week was first appointment. no show and no call. called to complain. the woman in charge called me back. said she had missed a message from the care giver. she was at the e.r. with her aunt.

ok that is a very valid excuse. appointment for today, no show and no phone call either. i called and left a message to forget it and that i would find someone more reliable. no call back.

i don't know why people can't just do what they say they will. it is not like this was a free service. i can't tell you how much it ticks me off. if i was late to pay, they would certainly be johnny on the spot to let me know. good thing i had not paid in advance. so back to the hunt. in meantime will just have to do it myself.
That really stinks, Babe! Call Aging Services and see if they have any recommendations.
San Diego County Aging Services - 1255 Imperial Avenue, San Diego - (619) 338-2558
Old 01-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #359
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks your highness. i will certainly give it a try. merry maids are reliable but very expensive. $100 for two hours. i really can't afford that much. you are a sweetie.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #360
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
thanks your highness. i will certainly give it a try. merry maids are reliable but very expensive. $100 for two hours. i really can't afford that much. you are a sweetie.
Hopefully, they know of people who are reliable and won't charge you an arm and a leg.

Maybe I should become a Merry Maid...they make way more than I do an hour!