"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #3621
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The name of the actor in a movie is not earth shattering...

But when it comes to work, the job depends on dependability and compulsiveness to do the job right. Worrying about the job, it's better to follow your instincts and double check yourself if that's what is needed.
Absolutely!

Old 08-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #3622
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The name of the actor in a movie is not earth shattering...

But when it comes to work, the job depends on dependability and compulsiveness to do the job right. Worrying about the job, it's better to follow your instincts and double check yourself if that's what is needed.
Yes.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:34 PM   #3623
Honey Badger

Jerk

I'm still a bit ticked off at some guy who came knocking at my door this morning.

It was the usual morning get hubby's breakfast/lunch cooked packed ready to go. I had just finished all that, cleaned up the kitchen. When this guy laid in on my door bell. One ring would have sufficed buy noooo. Mr Jerk had to ring it 3 times in succession.

I looked out the curtain to see who it was. Didn't recognize the person the window was open. Hearing was enough I thought.

I asked who is it? Seeing him, but not opening the door.
He looks at me through the window and made the comment. Oh, I see you. Were talking through the window ok, well uh anyways. Pulls out some kind of laminated long slip of paper.

I asked him what was it that he wanted to talk to me about? Still not opening the door. He commented,ok, so your not going to open the door to talk to me? I said no I'm not.
He got irritated. Never told me what he wanted. Stormed off stopped stomped his foot yelled RUDE. VERY RUDE!! His body was getting pumped up.

I thought it was a Jehovah witness. Thought better of it because they never go out alone. Not here anyways that I've seen.

My husband asked who was at the door ringing it like that. I told him. What that guy said. What I did.Gave him a very clear description of that man. He wasn't impressed at all.
He told me that guy was up to no good. That I was right for standing my ground un intimidated and not opening that door.

That guy really ticked me off. It's my house if I don't know you that door stays locked, not opened. State your business it's not that hard. Show some kind of ID. What did he expect anyways? Easy prey?
Better to play it safe than be sorry later.
Don't get testy because I ask questions. Jerk!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #3624
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That was a real jerk. I often holler out the window. People usually just tell me what they want. Then I open the door or not.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #3625
Master Chef

I don't even bother going to the door!

I live in a security building and people who know me call before they come over.

When I got old I stopped feeling the need to be polite to strangers that call me on the telephone or ring my doorbell!
Old 08-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #3626
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I'm still a bit ticked off at some guy who came knocking at my door this morning.

It was the usual morning get hubby's breakfast/lunch cooked packed ready to go. I had just finished all that, cleaned up the kitchen. When this guy laid in on my door bell. One ring would have sufficed buy noooo. Mr Jerk had to ring it 3 times in succession.

I looked out the curtain to see who it was. Didn't recognize the person the window was open. Hearing was enough I thought.

I asked who is it? Seeing him, but not opening the door.
He looks at me through the window and made the comment. Oh, I see you. Were talking through the window ok, well uh anyways. Pulls out some kind of laminated long slip of paper.

I asked him what was it that he wanted to talk to me about? Still not opening the door. He commented,ok, so your not going to open the door to talk to me? I said no I'm not.
He got irritated. Never told me what he wanted. Stormed off stopped stomped his foot yelled RUDE. VERY RUDE!! His body was getting pumped up.

I thought it was a Jehovah witness. Thought better of it because they never go out alone. Not here anyways that I've seen.

My husband asked who was at the door ringing it like that. I told him. What that guy said. What I did.Gave him a very clear description of that man. He wasn't impressed at all.
He told me that guy was up to no good. That I was right for standing my ground un intimidated and not opening that door.

That guy really ticked me off. It's my house if I don't know you that door stays locked, not opened. State your business it's not that hard. Show some kind of ID. What did he expect anyways? Easy prey?
Better to play it safe than be sorry later.
Don't get testy because I ask questions. Jerk!
I must say that I would have done the same as you. My attitude is that it's my front door, I paid for it and I'll decide who I open it to.

Mind you it sometimes backfires. Where I used to live we got a lot of canvassers, collectors and Avon ladies, etc. A few years back there was a knock on the door. I ignored it. Another knock. I ignored it again. Yet another knock. I went to the door, threw it open and announced crossly "I haven't, I can't and I won't" to the lady on the doorstep. She laughed, waved her ID badge and said "You have to. It's the electoral roll" (In the UK you don't have to vote but you do have to be registered on the list of electors for your area) "Collapse of stout party" (i.e. me!)
Old 08-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #3627
Executive Chef

Please may I vent about bl**dy cyclists?

Sunny weekends and summer evenings never fail to bring all the idiot cyclists out. Why is it that the flashier the bike, especially when the rider is dressed from head to foot in an outfit that matches the bike, the more he (because it usually is a "he") appears to have a total absence of brains?

The road up to the stables is the old main road from Stockport to Sheffield so we aren't talking country lanes here. It is a very dangerous and busy road. Four miles of one lane in each direction and a 40mph limit, with blind bends every few yards made worse by very high hedges and trees, double white lines almost all the way, chicane-type bends with adverse cambers and with a lot of heavy vehicles as well as cars, motorbikes and cyclists. Regular and frequently fatal accidents on it and when I was learning to drive Dad used to make me drive along it because I was frightened of it. A friend who is a copper says that even the police drivers don't like it.

There are the cyclists who deliberately hog the middle of the road so you can't pass in the few places it is safe to do so, the ones who wobble about all over the shop and follow a zig-zag course despite it not being a hilly road, the ones who hunt in packs - 5 rows of 3 abreast one evening recently, and the one the other day, who pottered along the double white line at 10mph holding up a stream of traffic behind him and me. Then, when we reached a safe overtaking place and I pulled out to overtake, he actually started racing me so I couldn't get past in the space available!

And not one of them wears hi-viz clothing. It's almost as if they think that a helmet magically renders them invincible!

This morning there was a chap in overalls (and a hi-viz waistcoat) pedalling along at a reasonable speed, observing the Highway Code, obviously on his way to work and one of these idiots ran him into the kerb and nearly knocked him off his bike and I am so absolutely certain that he did it on purpose that I'd be prepared to stand up in court and say so!

Of course when one of them gets killed because of his own stupid behaviour it'll be the poor motorist who gets it in the neck! I'm more and more convinced that cyclists should have to pass a test, be licenced and carry a prominent registration number on their bikes.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #3628
Certified Pretend Chef

I understand your anger. Cyclists can act very entitled when on the road. Motorists are warned to share the road with cyclists but it works both ways.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:36 PM   #3629
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I agree. Drives me crazy when cyclists ride 8 abreast on our winding road, and there's no way to pass. I even called the sheriff to find out if that's legal, he just said cyclists have the same right as cars do. I asked him if cars have the right to drive 8 in a row across the road, and he just repeated what he'd said.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #3630
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I agree. Drives me crazy when cyclists ride 8 abreast on our winding road, and there's no way to pass. I even called the sheriff to find out if that's legal, he just said cyclists have the same right as cars do. I asked him if cars have the right to drive 8 in a row across the road, and he just repeated what he'd said.
Motorcyclists aren't allowed to drive even 2 abreast.