"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #3631
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
I'm P1 and DH is P2....
I figured as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've been in this position before and still am from time to time. I have learned when SO has a thought in her mind, there is no point telling her otherwise. I just shut up and let it happen. While that is sometimes difficult, I've avoided conflict and earned the right to rub it in that I was right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Shrek argues like that, too and has no clue why I am aggravated and remain aggravated. I tend to dwell on things...especially if I am upset.
On our wedding day ages ago my cousin Tony gave Himself priceless advice. Something like "if the two of you are arguing something and it goes five minutes, just give in. At that point you have no chance." Plus, if we're trying to get you guys to do something Tony said you should "save the energy to do whatever it is you were trying to get out of!"

Old 09-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #3632
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I'm still a bit ticked off at some guy who came knocking at my door this morning......Jerk!
What a Rude Dude he was. Probably working with some sort of work-service program to earn points...which, from what I've read, the door-knockers never reap the benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
....When I got old I stopped feeling the need to be polite to strangers that call me on the telephone or ring my doorbell!
Got that right! You go Girl.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #3633
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I understand your anger. Cyclists can act very entitled when on the road. Motorists are warned to share the road with cyclists but it works both ways.
Andy, we recently had a major road rebuilt. It is a bridge going from Eastie to Winthrop. The bridge was widened and when the new lines were painted, bike lane were painted in. We have those lanes on all the main roads here in Eastie and other parts of Boston. Even downtown. The solid line separating the bike lane from cars lanes is much wider than the standard car lanes. During my working days I would see cyclists in droves riding to work and back home each day while I was on the bus. and they weren't just going down the road to the office. At BMC, there is a very large garage right near the entry way to the doors of the large clinic building. Everyday it is filled with cycles. I would love to see America become like some countries in Europe. More cycles than cars on the road each day. What most folks aren't aware of is that cyclists are subject to the same rules of the road as are the automobiles.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:21 AM   #3634
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I don't even bother going to the door!

I live in a security building and people who know me call before they come over.

When I got old I stopped feeling the need to be polite to strangers that call me on the telephone or ring my doorbell!
Spike has a key to the front door. Everyone else has to ring and I can talk through the security system asking who is it.

My kids know to call first to let me know they are coming. I know when my meds are to be delivered, when I am expecting a UPS package, or when the van is going to be picking me up. Other than those reasons, I don't hit that buzzer to open the door downstairs until I know who you are.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #3635
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
What a Rude Dude he was. Probably working with some sort of work-service program to earn points...which, from what I've read, the door-knockers never reap the benefits.

Work service program? Please don't say Judge ordered community service. Who knows what was at my door.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #3636
Master Chef

NoNoNo! Not an ex-con! There are do-good organizations that have worked our neighborhood where the youth or, in some cases, down-on-their-luck adults, go door-to-door to drum up business for some kind of thing. I know one time it was magazine subscriptions. The door-knocker is expected to reach a minimum number of contacts and, probably, sales. The reward promised to the door-knocker is rarely delivered because of some technicality on meeting the requirements. It's basically a well-meaning scam. We've also had a wave of environmental activists coming around some years, but not this one. Guess even they have to hide in their AC when they are out fighting global warming.

In our town anyone going door-to-door is required to first get a permit from the town hall. They have to show documentation of the group or business in order to get permits - probably put down some sort of bond money too. If that is the case where you are the person should be able to show a badge or permit page to indicate they have clearance from your town/city's PTB. Not a guarantee of personal safety, but at least you know they are some kind of legit.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #3637
Head Chef

Today's vent

Why is it that all of my small appliances die at the same time? It's not like I bought them all at the same time...as if that would make any difference. In the last month my printer died, I used my c a n n e r s twice and now the gaskets are so stretched out they are unuseable, my bowl to the food processed cracked and my ice cream maker gave up the ghost. All that I could almost handle but it comes on top of literally several thousand dollars worth of auto repairs and dental work. Oh well I didn't need that silly old emergency bank account anyway. I mean it's not like my 25 year old furnace is going to break down or anything like that! lol sigh.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #3638
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((Hugs Joesfolk)))
Old 09-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #3639
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
(((Hugs Joesfolk)))
Thank you.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #3640
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Why is it that all of my small appliances die at the same time? It's not like I bought them all at the same time...as if that would make any difference. In the last month my printer died, I used my c a n n e r s twice and now the gaskets are so stretched out they are unuseable, my bowl to the food processed cracked and my ice cream maker gave up the ghost. All that I could almost handle but it comes on top of literally several thousand dollars worth of auto repairs and dental work. Oh well I didn't need that silly old emergency bank account anyway. I mean it's not like my 25 year old furnace is going to break down or anything like that! lol sigh.
Man, that just sucks. I hope nothing else breaks on you and that everything quiets down for a bit.