"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #361
Honey Badger

Babe,

Do you have any reliable neighbors that have kids/ grand kids that would like to earn some spending money?

College kids have books and tuition due now! I just spent a bundle..

Your Manager might know someone who could help you.
Leave a note on the bulletin board. Let them know what you need done and preferences.

When I was a kid my Mom would send us over to help a neighbor. If we came home with money we were in big trouble!

Old 01-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #362
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Babe,

Do you have any reliable neighbors that have kids/ grand kids that would like to earn some spending money?

College kids have books and tuition due now! I just spent a bundle..

Your Manager might know someone who could help you.
Leave a note on the bulletin board. Let them know what you need done and preferences.

When I was a kid my Mom would send us over to help a neighbor. If we came home with money we were in big trouble!
I was sitting here wishing I could run over and help her out.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #363
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I was sitting here wishing I could run over and help her out.
Me to. I can't mow my own lawns or vacuum, mop the floors anymore. I make my kids earn that home cooked dinner. My younger days, I've sent my boys over to mow the neighbors lawn, take out the cans on trash night. If they weren't feeling good or just had knee surgery. The same rules applied to them as well.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #364
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Me to. I can't mow my own lawns or vacuum, mop the floors anymore. I make my kids earn that home cooked dinner. My younger days, I've sent my boys over to mow the neighbors lawn, take out the cans on trash night. If they weren't feeling good or just had knee surgery. The same rules applied to them as well.
I used to take Greyhound to Cheyenne every two weeks to do those things for my Great Grandmother...it was worth it for me just to be with her for the weekend.

And my Uncle Vernon used to take me to a fantastic buffet for breakfast
Old 01-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #365
Head Chef

Is there a reason for paint not being available by the half gallon? And the price of two quarts is nearly as much as a gallon, so you buy a gallon and have a bunch left over. I know there's a place to take the leftover paint so it won't go to waste, but still... phooey.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #366
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Is there a reason for paint not being available by the half gallon? And the price of two quarts is nearly as much as a gallon, so you buy a gallon and have a bunch left over. I know there's a place to take the leftover paint so it won't go to waste, but still... phooey.
I plan painting projects with a friend...over the years our bathrooms have been painted the same color, just different decorations. Same with our kitchens.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #367
Head Chef

I was reading some of the posts about people working for friends and neighbors and sometimes helping out someone in need and it reminded me of a work situation a number of years ago.

There was this guy John, I worked with, he was the most selfish person I have seen in years. Every decision was based on how it could help him financially or work related, never on how he could help his employer or business. He'd have me do his work, and spend his time talking with his manager about how he would do this or that and see if his manager would give him goods or services for his own benefit. It made me sick, you know that sick feeling in your stomach that comes from being uncomfortable and not knowing why you are uncomfortable?

I wondered where do these people come from? People that take advantage of others. I didn't figure it out until John told his manager this story, in my presence.

He said his son wanted some money, he was around 8 years old. So it happened that their neighbor grandfatherly age man died of a heart attack leaving the grandmotherly aged woman alone. He encouraged his child to 'take advantage' of the situation by offering to mow her lawn now for $30 for a postage sized lot because she could not do it.

Essentially, he said: take advantage of this older lady for your own benefit. It taught me that people like this are not born, they are trained. And, the child was only 8!

I'm not against a fair wage for fair work, but, I'm certainly not for taking advantage of the elderly either. It's a different story for someone to help a neighbor in need for $5-8/hour when the homeowner has a $20/hour job and they'd like to farm out some yardwork so they can continue their better paying job. And sometimes, the person in need of help, can't afford the help, so helping a neighbor for free, is right, just because is the right thing to do.

I noticed no one here has said anything this corrupt, or nasty...I'm not sure what word to use. It made me glad to be part of this forum.

Thanks for reminding me, it was the first time I have talked about it since it happened. It taught me a lesson, careless thoughtless selfish people are trained and not born that way. Most of them anyways.

Hoping, the apparent kindness we have for each other, will continue.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #368
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thank you, Blissful. I know you feel better getting that off your chest. Greedy people suck!

I think one of the reasons this is such a helpful and successful site is that we think in terms of we, and us. If I find a recipe trick that works, I want to share it with people who share their great ideas with me.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #369
Master Chef

greed makes me shudder- i luv 2 give, while managing my own finaces, too
Old 01-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #370
Head Chef

Z and L--