"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #3691
Chef Extraordinaire

I have grass growing right outside my big window. Our maintenance workers start work at 7 a.m. They used to start up the large rider mower as soon as they arrived in the morning. That came to a quick halt!

Old 09-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #3692
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Maintenance at the facility were told they weren't allowed to start mowing until after breakfast was done. Folks in the dining rooms could not hear each other talk.

They mow once a week here, when I was working nights they hired a new company. I had to call and ask them to pick a day and time. I can sleep through anything if it's expected. Heck, Shrek's alarm clock doesn't even wake me up, because I know it's not for me.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #3693
Executive Chef

It's very frustrating that my 2 y/o niece has figured out how to lie but isn't quite developed enough to understand what constitutes a lie and why she shouldn't tell them. It makes it much more difficult to teach her not to do it.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #3694
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Ugh! My sleeping schedule is all messed up lately. I've been waking up at 3:00 a.m. This morning I got up to do laundry then went back to bed close to 4:00 just to toss and turn till 6:45 when I get up to cook breakfast. Melatonin is not working for me anymore. Could it be my age? LOL I'm going to try some yoga tonight for relaxation. Sigh!
Old 12-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #3695
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Ugh! My sleeping schedule is all messed up lately. I've been waking up at 3:00 a.m. This morning I got up to do laundry then went back to bed close to 4:00 just to toss and turn till 6:45 when I get up to cook breakfast. Melatonin is not working for me anymore. Could it be my age? LOL I'm going to try some yoga tonight for relaxation. Sigh!
Natrol makes an extended release Melatonin, it works for me when I wake up too early. They have it at Walgreen's or Walmart.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #3696
Senior Cook

I'm upset, frustrated, and just tired of red tape bs. Hubby and I are trying to get through the adoption approval process through the public ministry, and just got another monkey wrench thrown at us. We applied in January of 2013, and still are working through this. One of the things we were not looking at was a legal risk placement, due to the uncertainty factor for the child/children and us as well. We had a meeting tonight, and effective Jan 1, 2014 all placements will be considered legal risk until the adoption is finalized (anywhere up to 16 months or so). Basically it boils down to the birth parents/family would be able to appeal and possibly overturn any placement up until the time the adoption is finalized. It's a small risk, but a risk none the less. 90% of adoptions will proceed exactly as they do now, but the 10% possibility scares the hell out of me. I just want a family, is that so much to ask? My heart is breaking just a little bit, and we have less than 2 weeks to decide. If we say no, this is the end of all the work we've done over the last year. If we say yes, it's a totally different ball game.

Legal risk adoption - also known as 'foster to adopt' or 'foster with a view to adopt'. This type of adoption occurs when a child is placed in a home as a foster child and is later adopted by his/her foster parents. This type of adoption is a 'legal risk adoption' because the courts have not yet made the child legally free to be adopted and there is still a chance that he/she may be returned to his/her biological family. Children are considered a legal risk but only a small percentage of children placed through the 'foster to adopt' program are returned to their biological families.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #3697
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffiffeezz View Post
I'm upset, frustrated, and just tired of red tape bs. Hubby and I are trying to get through the adoption approval process through the public ministry, and just got another monkey wrench thrown at us. We applied in January of 2013, and still are working through this. One of the things we were not looking at was a legal risk placement, due to the uncertainty factor for the child/children and us as well. We had a meeting tonight, and effective Jan 1, 2014 all placements will be considered legal risk until the adoption is finalized (anywhere up to 16 months or so). Basically it boils down to the birth parents/family would be able to appeal and possibly overturn any placement up until the time the adoption is finalized. It's a small risk, but a risk none the less. 90% of adoptions will proceed exactly as they do now, but the 10% possibility scares the hell out of me. I just want a family, is that so much to ask? My heart is breaking just a little bit, and we have less than 2 weeks to decide. If we say no, this is the end of all the work we've done over the last year. If we say yes, it's a totally different ball game.

Legal risk adoption - also known as 'foster to adopt' or 'foster with a view to adopt'. This type of adoption occurs when a child is placed in a home as a foster child and is later adopted by his/her foster parents. This type of adoption is a 'legal risk adoption' because the courts have not yet made the child legally free to be adopted and there is still a chance that he/she may be returned to his/her biological family. Children are considered a legal risk but only a small percentage of children placed through the 'foster to adopt' program are returned to their biological families.
Oh, Toffi, it sounds so frustrating! {{{{Toffi}}}}

Here's hoping things work out for you and Hub!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #3698
Chef Extraordinaire

Toffi, my heart goes out to you and your husband. If it were me, I would say "go for it!" If it turns out that any child placed with you is returned to their parents, at least you know that you showed a child what real love in a family is. You will have given a child a lifetime of memories. Don't give up. There is a child out there for you both.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #3699
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((Hugs Toffi))) Sending good vibes in your direction for a happy outcome soon.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #3700
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Toffi, my heart goes out to you and your husband. If it were me, I would say "go for it!" If it turns out that any child placed with you is returned to their parents, at least you know that you showed a child what real love in a family is. You will have given a child a lifetime of memories. Don't give up. There is a child out there for you both.
I agree!

I would rather have a broken heart because I chose to help a child than have one because I didn't.