"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #3751
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sounds like they need someone who just runs the window. Again, they can't fix it if they don't know it's broken. Maybe they need three people to do the front counter work. The person's making appointments and arranging transportation don't need the other distractions.
I just called and the sensible one answered. I asked her to look to see if I was scheduled for this month at any time. Nope! So it is not their fault this time. The nurse that called me to let me know when they wanted me to come in again forgot to notify the front desk that I was to come in today. The head nurse is looking into it. I just love it when this particular nurse does my vitals. I have to tell her what to do. BP, temp, oxygen level, weight. How hard is that? She always forgets something. And then the nurse who is in charge of the vitals room always has to remind her to enter them into the computer. I don't see her lasting very long. Her attention to details in nil.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:15 AM   #3752
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
....yesterday's appointment never happened. When I called Winthrop, they informed me that they never got the notice......And to tell the truth, I hate going to Winthrop just for my vitals. I am there for just 15 minutes. How long can it take for your temp, weight, oxygen level and BP? Then I am out of there and on my way back home. It is when I have to go for my six month checkup that I am there for all day.....
I don't understand why they don't use visiting nurses to go to the homes of the elderly for these monthly vitals checks. A friend of mine worked for VNA for years starting in the mid-1990s in St. Louis, then in Phoenix, going out to the elderly doing just this thing. Mary Jeanne LOVED her job visiting all her "aunts" and "uncles", because her regulars became close like family to her (she's a really good, but now retired, nurse). You would think with all the claims of the Boston area's outstanding medical services they would have something like this operational ages ago. Maybe you need to start rattling cages Addie, and be a little activist on this for yourself and all your fellow senior citizens. You could wage your war right from you computer. Probably declare yourself a non-profit and write off all "expenses".

Old 01-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #3753
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I don't understand why they don't use visiting nurses to go to the homes of the elderly for these monthly vitals checks. A friend of mine worked for VNA for years starting in the mid-1990s in St. Louis, then in Phoenix, going out to the elderly doing just this thing. Mary Jeanne LOVED her job visiting all her "aunts" and "uncles", because her regulars became close like family to her (she's a really good, but now retired, nurse). You would think with all the claims of the Boston area's outstanding medical services they would have something like this operational ages ago. Maybe you need to start rattling cages Addie, and be a little activist on this for yourself and all your fellow senior citizens. You could wage your war right from you computer. Probably declare yourself a non-profit and write off all "expenses".
They do have a nurse that goes into the homes. But by having the patient go to the facility, it keeps the patient active and gets them out of their home and into a setting whereby they have to interact with others. It helps keep the amount of elderly depression down. I have the 24 hour number to call for the nurse if I think I need her. I have used the number a couple of time. Once when I had the Noro Virus. I didn't want to go into Winthrop and infect everyone there. As it turned out they were having their own outbreak and closed the facility. The visiting nurse earned her paycheck for the next two weeks. They also have Aides that go into the homes of wheelchair patients. They help them to get ready for bed and up in the morning everyday. We have two such patents in this building. They also give them showers, help the men to shave, etc. But those patients also are picked up by van and go to Winthrop at least two times a week to keep their minds active.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #3754
Head Chef

Quote:
Sounds like they need someone who just runs the window. Again, they can't fix it if they don't know it's broken. Maybe they need three people to do the front counter work. The person's making appointments and arranging transportation don't need the other distractions.
I agree with PF about reporting it---- it can be done in a non-confrontational way (although I would find that hard to do, myself!).

And although I also agree with PF about them needing 3 people at the desk----in this day of 'down-sizing' (sometimes called greed) that may not happen.

Of all the places that don't need down-sizing it's in a hospital or clinic----- but it happens all the time.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #3755
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
They do have a nurse that goes into the homes. But by having the patient go to the facility, it keeps the patient active and gets them out of their home and into a setting whereby they have to interact with others...
That's a valid point. I guess I figure most seniors are like you and our other older members: tech active, busy with kids, etc. I can't judge all seniors by the fun group of older posters we have here at DC. Heck, in a handful of years I'LL be one of those "older" posters! Then again, by the time I hit 70 I may have moved the stick up on what is older...
Old 01-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #3756
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Then again, by the time I hit 70 I may have moved the stick up on what is older...
Bite your tongue, you young whippersnapper!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #3757
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Are you a great granny or just a granny, Cave??? CG is a mommy only, unless she counts the twins fur babies.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #3758
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Are you a great granny or just a granny, Cave??? CG is a mommy only, unless she counts the twins fur babies.
My mum was very displeased when I referred to my cats as her grandchildren. My sister, on the other hand, is perfectly happy to be the auntie of cats.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #3759
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My mum was very displeased when I referred to my cats as her grandchildren. My sister, on the other hand, is perfectly happy to be the auntie of cats.
My Mom doesn't care if her grandkids are pink, purple or furry...
Old 01-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #3760
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver1968 View Post
Thanks for all the encouraging words...it really helped. Sometimes you just need to hear it....even if it's from someone you've never met. Thanks for the compliments on my table..I was proud of it...I'd probably be a pretty good gay guy, if I didn't like women so much. :) Mom says someday I'll make some woman a really good wife. :)

You're funny on the top of it too.