"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #3821
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Well, at least I know now and it didn't cost me hundreds to find out from an allergist. I'll be careful when ordering in restaurants. Poor Shrek has to eat the whole shrimp tray on his own.
Glad you're OK Princess. We think my 3 year old grandson is allergic to shellfish, his little face swelled up to where he was darn near unrecognizable the first time he was exposed to it. Not something to mess with, for sure.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #3822
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Glad you're OK Princess. We think my 3 year old grandson is allergic to shellfish, his little face swelled up to where he was darn near unrecognizable the first time he was exposed to it. Not something to mess with, for sure.
Okay, now I would not experiment with the baby. I would assume he has the allergy and be sure to tell the doctor. He needs it listed on his medical record.

I probably shouldn't have done it, but I so wanted some shrimp and I was careful.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:37 AM   #3823
Master Chef

Quote:
Okay, now I would not experiment with the baby. I would assume he has the allergy and be sure to tell the doctor. He needs it listed on his medical record.

I probably shouldn't have done it, but I so wanted some shrimp and I was careful.
Absolutely...it's in his medical records, and also his preschool records. He is kept far away from not only shellfish, but canned tuna and any kind of fish. His mom and dad took him to a Chinese restaurant with them when he was 2, but he only had a broccoli and noodle dish. We're pretty sure it was the cross contamination with the seafood, and fortunately a trip to the dr. and some Benadryl cleared it up right quick. Quite a scare, though.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:23 AM   #3824
Master Chef

Quote:
... Poor Shrek has to eat the whole shrimp tray on his own.
Aw, poor baby! But he'll sacrifice to keep his love safe.

Glad you didn't get seriously ill from those couple little shrimp. All you got out of it was the kinds of lips some women pay big bucks for.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:52 AM   #3825
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Aw, poor baby! But he'll sacrifice to keep his love safe.

Glad you didn't get seriously ill from those couple little shrimp. All you got out of it was the kinds of lips some women pay big bucks for.
They didn't even do that, just tingly feeling like they went to sleep and were waking up. Five pieces of shrimp over two hours. Took fewer shrimp this time
Old 02-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #3826
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Absolutely...it's in his medical records, and also his preschool records. He is kept far away from not only shellfish, but canned tuna and any kind of fish. His mom and dad took him to a Chinese restaurant with them when he was 2, but he only had a broccoli and noodle dish. We're pretty sure it was the cross contamination with the seafood, and fortunately a trip to the dr. and some Benadryl cleared it up right quick. Quite a scare, though.
Many things at a chinese restaurant are made with fish sauce or oyster sauce, pretty much anything with a brownish colored sauce, such as chicken and broccoli, beef and broccoli, even lo mein. It doesn't taste fishy, but it is one of the main flavor components of MANY chinese saucy dishes.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #3827
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Many things at a chinese restaurant are made with fish sauce or oyster sauce, pretty much anything with a brownish colored sauce, such as chicken and broccoli, beef and broccoli, even lo mein. It doesn't taste fishy, but it is one of the main flavor components of MANY chinese saucy dishes.
That's what I was thinking.

BTW, most Worcestershire sauce has anchovies.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #3828
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

On my way home there is a stoplight with two lanes. After you go through the light it goes down to one lane after about 500 yards. If you are in the right lane, and going to the day care or credit union, you are good, if you need to continue straight, then you need to make your way left. Well without fail there are people in the wrong lane, and they will do crazy maneuvers to merge left, I'm always looking out for them, so I can hit the brakes and let them in if needed.

Today there was a semi truck (Lorry for those across the pond), in the right lane. I was already 3/4 of the way up, so I figured that I would keep going and he could pull in behind me, there was room. Then he started pulling into my lane with no turn signals at all! I had to pull into a small median (painted, not raised) and slam on my brakes to avoid driving into oncoming traffic. I then pulled back into my lane, I tried to get a plate number, but it was covered up by a fork lift mounted on the back (this can't be legal). His windows were blacked out (also illegal) and there was absolutely no identifying marks or company names on that truck.

I was tempted to follow him, but anyone that dangerous behind the wheel, that has gone to such lengths to hide any identifying marks, would likely be more dangerous face to face. If it hadn't been for that small median, he would have physically pushed me into oncoming traffic and there would have been nothing I could have done to prevent it.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #3829
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Gah! Now that sounds scarey, Bakechef! You did the right thing, too bad you couldn't identify the SOB.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #3830
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'm still a bit shaken. I'm not a timid driver in the least, I'll drive just about anywhere and do a pretty good job dealing with traffic situations. I'm also not the type to make rash, dangerous maneuvers, or be overly aggressive, the consequences are just not worth it. I'm just not used to being in type of situation that often.