"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #3821
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Well, at least I know now and it didn't cost me hundreds to find out from an allergist. I'll be careful when ordering in restaurants. Poor Shrek has to eat the whole shrimp tray on his own.
Glad you're OK Princess. We think my 3 year old grandson is allergic to shellfish, his little face swelled up to where he was darn near unrecognizable the first time he was exposed to it. Not something to mess with, for sure.
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #3822
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Glad you're OK Princess. We think my 3 year old grandson is allergic to shellfish, his little face swelled up to where he was darn near unrecognizable the first time he was exposed to it. Not something to mess with, for sure.
Okay, now I would not experiment with the baby. I would assume he has the allergy and be sure to tell the doctor. He needs it listed on his medical record.

I probably shouldn't have done it, but I so wanted some shrimp and I was careful.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:37 AM   #3823
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Okay, now I would not experiment with the baby. I would assume he has the allergy and be sure to tell the doctor. He needs it listed on his medical record.

I probably shouldn't have done it, but I so wanted some shrimp and I was careful.
Absolutely...it's in his medical records, and also his preschool records. He is kept far away from not only shellfish, but canned tuna and any kind of fish. His mom and dad took him to a Chinese restaurant with them when he was 2, but he only had a broccoli and noodle dish. We're pretty sure it was the cross contamination with the seafood, and fortunately a trip to the dr. and some Benadryl cleared it up right quick. Quite a scare, though.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:23 AM   #3824
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
... Poor Shrek has to eat the whole shrimp tray on his own.
Aw, poor baby! But he'll sacrifice to keep his love safe.

Glad you didn't get seriously ill from those couple little shrimp. All you got out of it was the kinds of lips some women pay big bucks for.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:52 AM   #3825
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Aw, poor baby! But he'll sacrifice to keep his love safe.

Glad you didn't get seriously ill from those couple little shrimp. All you got out of it was the kinds of lips some women pay big bucks for.
They didn't even do that, just tingly feeling like they went to sleep and were waking up. Five pieces of shrimp over two hours. Took fewer shrimp this time
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #3826
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Absolutely...it's in his medical records, and also his preschool records. He is kept far away from not only shellfish, but canned tuna and any kind of fish. His mom and dad took him to a Chinese restaurant with them when he was 2, but he only had a broccoli and noodle dish. We're pretty sure it was the cross contamination with the seafood, and fortunately a trip to the dr. and some Benadryl cleared it up right quick. Quite a scare, though.
Many things at a chinese restaurant are made with fish sauce or oyster sauce, pretty much anything with a brownish colored sauce, such as chicken and broccoli, beef and broccoli, even lo mein. It doesn't taste fishy, but it is one of the main flavor components of MANY chinese saucy dishes.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #3827
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Many things at a chinese restaurant are made with fish sauce or oyster sauce, pretty much anything with a brownish colored sauce, such as chicken and broccoli, beef and broccoli, even lo mein. It doesn't taste fishy, but it is one of the main flavor components of MANY chinese saucy dishes.
That's what I was thinking.

BTW, most Worcestershire sauce has anchovies.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #3828
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
On my way home there is a stoplight with two lanes. After you go through the light it goes down to one lane after about 500 yards. If you are in the right lane, and going to the day care or credit union, you are good, if you need to continue straight, then you need to make your way left. Well without fail there are people in the wrong lane, and they will do crazy maneuvers to merge left, I'm always looking out for them, so I can hit the brakes and let them in if needed.

Today there was a semi truck (Lorry for those across the pond), in the right lane. I was already 3/4 of the way up, so I figured that I would keep going and he could pull in behind me, there was room. Then he started pulling into my lane with no turn signals at all! I had to pull into a small median (painted, not raised) and slam on my brakes to avoid driving into oncoming traffic. I then pulled back into my lane, I tried to get a plate number, but it was covered up by a fork lift mounted on the back (this can't be legal). His windows were blacked out (also illegal) and there was absolutely no identifying marks or company names on that truck.

I was tempted to follow him, but anyone that dangerous behind the wheel, that has gone to such lengths to hide any identifying marks, would likely be more dangerous face to face. If it hadn't been for that small median, he would have physically pushed me into oncoming traffic and there would have been nothing I could have done to prevent it.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #3829
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
Gah! Now that sounds scarey, Bakechef! You did the right thing, too bad you couldn't identify the SOB.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #3830
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,084
I'm still a bit shaken. I'm not a timid driver in the least, I'll drive just about anywhere and do a pretty good job dealing with traffic situations. I'm also not the type to make rash, dangerous maneuvers, or be overly aggressive, the consequences are just not worth it. I'm just not used to being in type of situation that often.
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.