"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-08-2014, 02:46 AM   #3861
Proud American

I'm so sorry, bakechef. I certainly do know how it feels to find your car damaged. I'm so sorry, and I know this hurts you.

Now I forgot what I was unhappy about.

I'm sorry, bakechef.

With love,
~Cat

Old 02-08-2014, 02:50 AM   #3862
Master Chef

Susan (might be) my New Best Friend.

What's that? Is that a light at the end of the tunnel? And how much longer does this tunnel go on?

Called the "Hell Connector" today about the two mailings. Susan worked her tail off, got all my info and checked with supervision on stuff she couldn't answer. It sounds like this is where I'm at:
1) I still have to send in the verification of residency and citizenship, but it seems like most folks are having to do that. Blame the computer? The state as much as admitted yesterday that when it had to make adjustments to the MA website to line up more with the federal one it completely "fuzzed" up the works. (Thanks for that great substitute work PF!)
2) The most recent piece of mail I got (the bill) shows a different I.D. number because (wait for it) that number is one assigned to my by my selected insurance provider! I will call them Monday to make sure I am, in fact, in their system, but all indications are that I am.
3) That check that was cashed in December and hasn't been applied to any premium payment? It is supposed to be applied to this first payment, due 2-21 for insurance effective 3-1. The EFT I set up will not start withdrawing premium payments until late in March for the April premium payment.

IF all those things are true, it would mean this saga is over. I hope so...I'm tired of being uber-careful so I don't break or cut off anything, and also trying to keep calm enough to not cause a stroke. So far, so good - thanks to you guys letting me vent and laughing along with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Just don't start having two bottle nights.... I wish I was having some problem with mine so you wouldn't feel so alone in the fight. What a monumental fuzz up...I do have a few choice words you can borrow...
Alone? You guys are all in on this just by reading it! And two bottles? Nah, my nightly wine comes from a box. However, I'd be happy to share:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
In a few years, this could make a really funny story. "CG, tell the one about the time you signed up for health insurance."...:
Yeah it's funny. Funny as a heart attack. I tell ya though, after going through this much to figure out the MA system I'm rethinking the plan to move back to OH this year or next. Might just wait till I turn 65 and am on Medicare...

Old 02-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #3863
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
What's that? Is that a light at the end of the tunnel? And how much longer does this tunnel go on?

Called the "Hell Connector" today about the two mailings. Susan worked her tail off, got all my info and checked with supervision on stuff she couldn't answer. It sounds like this is where I'm at:
1) I still have to send in the verification of residency and citizenship, but it seems like most folks are having to do that. Blame the computer? The state as much as admitted yesterday that when it had to make adjustments to the MA website to line up more with the federal one it completely "fuzzed" up the works. (Thanks for that great substitute work PF!)
2) The most recent piece of mail I got (the bill) shows a different I.D. number because (wait for it) that number is one assigned to my by my selected insurance provider! I will call them Monday to make sure I am, in fact, in their system, but all indications are that I am.
3) That check that was cashed in December and hasn't been applied to any premium payment? It is supposed to be applied to this first payment, due 2-21 for insurance effective 3-1. The EFT I set up will not start withdrawing premium payments until late in March for the April premium payment.

IF all those things are true, it would mean this saga is over. I hope so...I'm tired of being uber-careful so I don't break or cut off anything, and also trying to keep calm enough to not cause a stroke. So far, so good - thanks to you guys letting me vent and laughing along with me.
Yay! Sounds like you might be on to something! I hope this finally takes

Quote:
Alone? You guys are all in on this just by reading it! And two bottles? Nah, my nightly wine comes from a box. However, I'd be happy to share:
At least, I am a cheap date, one gets me fuzzy, the second fuzzed up
Old 02-08-2014, 05:18 AM   #3864
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
This has really got to stop

Came out of work today to find my hood scratched up and dented. Looks like someone backed into it with the tailgate of their truck down. $542 worth of damage! Hit and run.

UGH!
Yes, quite enough! Sorry this has happened, but like you say in another post, you can get it taken care of while you are on vacation.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #3865
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Well that bites! Is it general parking where you put your car, or is there a specific employee vehicle area? If employee cars are clustered together in a distant part of the lot, I would cruise around the parking area looking for a truck with a tailgate that would skim the top of your hood if the gate was down.
No, we park where the customers do, just a bit further out. I actually park in a way to minimize the chance of my car being hit, or so I thought! This person had to back up way too far. If I had been pulled all the way ahead in the spot, they would have likely caused a lot more damage. Even the police officer said that she didn't know why anyone needed to back up that far!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #3866
Master Chef

I love the continuing use of the word “tragic” in regards of the death of another junky who succumbed to his weakness. Tragic is a death of a young mother, the death of the soldier who went down in the helicopter at no fault of his own, tragic is when a child dies of incurable disease. Not the death of a drug user. I do not care how talented he was or was not for that matter. There hundreds or maybe thousands of them die around the country/world and nobody even knows that they died, sometimes not even relatives, as they have been missing from the life of said relatives for years. All of a sudden the Hollywood loses one of its own and the whole wide world has to start crying, has to look for the drug suppliers, condemn the drug use etc. At the same time only few month ago when couple of states legalized drug use (ok, only certain drug use) the Hollywood was up in arms praising the liberties of the people in those states.
There is nothing “tragic” about it, though it is sad of course. Of course who am I to judge the use of English language.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #3867
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I love the continuing use of the word “tragic” in regards of the death of another junky who succumbed to his weakness. Tragic is a death of a young mother, the death of the soldier who went down in the helicopter at no fault of his own, tragic is when a child dies of incurable disease. Not the death of a drug user. I do not care how talented he was or was not for that matter. There hundreds or maybe thousands of them die around the country/world and nobody even knows that they died, sometimes not even relatives, as they have been missing from the life of said relatives for years. All of a sudden the Hollywood loses one of its own and the whole wide world has to start crying, has to look for the drug suppliers, condemn the drug use etc. At the same time only few month ago when couple of states legalized drug use (ok, only certain drug use) the Hollywood was up in arms praising the liberties of the people in those states.
There is nothing “tragic” about it, though it is sad of course. Of course who am I to judge the use of English language.
I think that any loss of life is tragic.

We all have weakness, most of us are just lucky that they aren't of the magnitude of drug addiction.

Having relatives dealing with it puts it in perspective. My cousin who is my age is on the fast track to death, he has everything to live for, but doesn't see that. He got into heavy drugs shortly after the suicide of his father who he was very close to, to numb the pain. He has the support system but can't seem to kick it. Even his ex wife will take him off the streets to get him help, but nothing has worked yet.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #3868
Master Chef

Quote:
CharlieD; we may not agree on pancakes, but we sure do agree on this. Tragic should not be mistaken for stupidity. Tragic is someone who is just getting their life together, after years of struggling, and then is made a vegetable by a drunk driver (happened to a good friend of mine). Tragic is when someone who is thoughtful and kind to their family, and who is of great benefit to all around them, through no fault of their own, is severely injured in such away as to ruin their lives, or taken from mortality. Tragic is when through no fault of their own, a loving parent is removed from the family. Tragic, is the state that our society is heading in, thanks in large part to the entertainment industry, and the greedy.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #3869
Head Chef

Quote:
I'm glad that this post is back on DC. Thanks to whoever did that.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #3870
Admiral of the Texas Navy

This thread has been moderated. Please keep the discussion civil and centered on the topic at hand.