"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #3881
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Vented here during my health insurance saga so much I have to put the good here so you all can see that...

I (apparently) HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE!!! I called the provider today and they had me in their system. Then when Himself brought the mail in I had a letter from the Health Connector telling me I've been accepted into my selected plan. Only one thing to follow up on...so far the insurance provider has not received payment for my March premium. I'll call the health connector on Friday to make sure the check they cashed in December has been processed to be applied to my March premium. I'd call tomorrow but the state offices will probably all be closed since we're getting at least one snowflake.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #3882
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Vented here during my health insurance saga so much I have to put the good here so you all can see that...

I (apparently) HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE!!! I called the provider today and they had me in their system. Then when Himself brought the mail in I had a letter from the Health Connector telling me I've been accepted into my selected plan. Only one thing to follow up on...so far the insurance provider has not received payment for my March premium. I'll call the health connector on Friday to make sure the check they cashed in December has been processed to be applied to my March premium. I'd call tomorrow but the state offices will probably all be closed since we're getting at least one snowflake.
Yay!!! Bout time!!!

Old 02-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #3883
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Glad to read it CG.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:07 AM   #3884
Proud American

I thought I had health insurance, but I found out earlier my policy is cancelled. I tried to call my doctor, but I received just a recording.

I don't know what to do. I paid everything, but it is cancelled.

I have to see a surgeon now with no insurance.

With love, ~Cat
Old 02-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #3885
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Call the insurance company ~Cat!!! I had the same thing happen to me two days before my surgery, but everything was fine.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #3886
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I thought I had health insurance, but I found out earlier my policy is cancelled. I tried to call my doctor, but I received just a recording.

I don't know what to do. I paid everything, but it is cancelled.

I have to see a surgeon now with no insurance.

With love, ~Cat

I hope you can get this worked out, Cat. This is not a good time for you to be having insurance problems.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #3887
Chef Extraordinaire

I come home from Winthrop and my key won't work in the front door. The wind is blowing really hard and the snow is so thick you can't see the houses across the street. Fortunately there was someone on the inside and they opened the door for me. They inform me that the elevator is out and half the building of electricity. Oh great! That means my scooter will have to stay downstairs while I try to climb the stairs to the second floor. But before I can face that task, one of the tenants just got out of the hospital. She has had a serious episode with her heart and doesn't understand what happened. They put a pacemaker in her and she is scared to go near even her stove. So I went over all the papers she brought home with the doctors notes and instructions. It seems she has never had any kind of episode with her heart before.

So I get her calmed down and face the daunting task of the stairs. It is a very long flight. I get half way up and my bad leg starts to give out on me. I sit down on the steps to rest and then attempt it again. I honestly didn't think I was going to make it. I poke around the apartment and I get a phone call from the pharmacy. They are making a delivery for me. The front door still is not working so I go downstairs AGAIN and he is not there at the door where I told him to wait for me. I am about to give up and attack those dang stairs again and I spot him. I get my meds and go to attack the stairs. This time I almost fell down the flight of stairs. Scared the holy crap out of me. I sat there for ten minutes and finished going up the stairs.

I am hungry and I want to eat. The stove is not working. It only heats up to luke warm. And the micro won't even give me a sigh. I give up. I go to lay down and all of a sudden everything in the house goes on. Except for one lamp. And it is plugged into the same outlet as the computer. Oh well, I will let Spike worry about it. I am tired. I will go downstairs and bring up my scooter.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #3888
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
(((Hugs Addie))), what an "adventure". I'm glad to read that you are safe in your apartment and the power came back on.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:20 AM   #3889
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
(((Hugs Addie))), what an "adventure". I'm glad to read that you are safe in your apartment and the power came back on.
Thanks TL. The next time I have to tackle those stairs, I am going to go up them on all floors and I don't give a dang what it may look like to others. At least I know I will be safe. When I almost fell down the flight of stairs, it scared me crapless. I was still shaking ten minutes later. Those stairs are all metal.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #3890
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thanks TL. The next time I have to tackle those stairs, I am going to go up them on all floors and I don't give a dang what it may look like to others. At least I know I will be safe. When I almost fell down the flight of stairs, it scared me crapless. I was still shaking ten minutes later. Those stairs are all metal.

Addie, I have a suggestion that may not be appropriate since I do not know all your circumstances. I suggest that every day, you walk up 5 steps or so, and back down. If you do this every day, eventually you might be able to do more, like 6 or 7. Then, if a day every comes that the power is out again, you might not have such a hard time with the steps.

I have a bad knee and I really struggle with our cellar steps, but I make sure I go up and down those steps at least once a day. Someday I might need a stairlift, but I don't want to lose my mobility if I can help it. DH always offers to go down to get things for me, but I make myself do it. In case of an emergency, I either have to go down those stairs, or down the cement steps in front of my house. So I need to know I can do it.

I realize that this suggestion is not for everyone. We all have different issues.