"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #381
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Possibly. One problem is that it is on a gravel laneway. Maybe I can let the weeds grow up and cover it this summer.
I was thinking more of a potted shrub or small tree, but it sound like there's not much room.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #382
Everymom

I'm crabby (and so I'm going to sign off soon so I don't inadvertently moderate out of my grumpiness!) because the furnace in my Mom's house stopped working sometime Saturday night and its STILL not fixed. I had a guy out Sunday who told me they needed a special part ($800!!!) that they would order Monday. Well great and wonderful! In the meantime the house is 6C (42F)!!! I've got space heaters going in a couple of places and the gas fireplace is running but its still freaking freezing in there. I'm worried about a pipe bursting. There isn't much else I can do unfortunately but wait.

I'm mostly irritated because if I don't work, I don't get paid. I'm a casual employee and have no leave with pay. I've had to take yesterday off work and I might have to take tonight off as well. I feel guilty about taking time off because the place I'm supposed to be working is already running short because of all the colds/flus that are running rampant at the moment. BAH! Murphy's Law sucks!

I'm ticked at a cab company too. My oldest daughter went downtown for a school program yesterday after school and was supposed to be cabbed back to the school. The cab never showed. When the girls called to get a second cab dispatched that one never showed either. My husband went downtown (he'd just come home from there!) and picked up both girls. What kind of ignorant driver leaves two teenaged girls stranded alone downtown in the middle of winter???? Called cab company - complained. Big whoop. They won't do anything, they have pretty close to a monopoly in town here.

Grump grump grump. I'm signing off before I depress all of you. I'll go have some chocolate and come back happier.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #383
Head Chef

Same problems down here would be no biggie -- but up where 'freezing' is literally freezing! What's wrong with those people?!? I have no dog in the fight, but am in high dudgeon on your behalf, whatever that's worth. Cleopatra or somebody like that used to take a bath in donkey milk - maybe a chocolate soak would be helpful.

'Scuse me now - I'm going to go look for another cliche' to use.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #384
Certified Pretend Chef

Just sitting here trying to picture a row of donkeys being milked by as many Egyptians and wondering how many donkeys have to be milked to fill Cleopatra's bathtub.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #385
Everymom

Thanks for the support tinlizzie. And thanks for the smile Andy.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #386
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Just sitting here trying to picture a row of donkeys being milked by as many Egyptians and wondering how many donkeys have to be milked to fill Cleopatra's bathtub.
You bet your donkey it would take a bunch. Now, how do we get a tubful of chocolate - Hershey's syrup?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #387
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
You bet your donkey it would take a bunch. Now, how do we get a tubful of chocolate - Hershey's syrup?
Find a chocolate cow?

I'm thinking Dove Dark, I'll donate a couple of bags.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #388
Master Chef

OK, anyone have this frustration? I've got few choices in town for buying products of any type, and Wal-Mart is the major one. How about having to buy sizes larger than you need, then having the dispenser fail when you've only used half or so of the product. I've got a half-can of hairspray, half of spray starch, half of a spray cleaning product, and half of heavy duty skin lotion all in dispensers that render the stuff somewhere between unusable or difficult. In my lifetime the size of the average U.S. family has decreased considerably, but the packaging has gotten more and more and more. I'm constantly throwing half of something away because the pump or spray just doesn't work any more and I get frustrated with it!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:16 PM   #389
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
OK, anyone have this frustration? I've got few choices in town for buying products of any type, and Wal-Mart is the major one. How about having to buy sizes larger than you need, then having the dispenser fail when you've only used half or so of the product. I've got a half-can of hairspray, half of spray starch, half of a spray cleaning product, and half of heavy duty skin lotion all in dispensers that render the stuff somewhere between unusable or difficult. In my lifetime the size of the average U.S. family has decreased considerably, but the packaging has gotten more and more and more. I'm constantly throwing half of something away because the pump or spray just doesn't work any more and I get frustrated with it!
Have you tried clearing the nozzles by holding the cans upside down and spraying until there is just air coming out? Or soaking the nozzles in hot water in case they are clogged?

I don't buy aerosol cans, so nope, I don't have that frustration. I can always put something in a different container if the pump breaks.

Wait, I do have a trial size can of hairspray that is aerosol...I use it to kill bees and wasps if they get in the apartment. If that quits on me, I just get another.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #390
Master Chef

Yeah, I've tried that with some success. I'll put the lotion dispenser in a bowl of hot water and try it again tomorrow. The hairspray and spray starch I'll just toss and buy new. But there are more and more two person households (like ours) so why don't .... well, you get the picture. Heck, half my friends are single, for that matter.