"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #3901
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I agree that he should be reported. But always keep in mind that if your complaint goes on record all the other doctors in your state will know about that. I've known doctors who ask on their intake form for a new patient "Have you ever filed a complaint against a doctor?"

Now it doesn't take much brain power for that patient to decide to lie about that. But then when the prospective new doctor finds out you lied AND had filed a complaint---- there may be some blow-back.

The Old Boy White Coat Network is alive and working efficiently.

I wouldn't hesitate to lie about that. The intake form should be to inform the doctor of your past health information. I would not consider it a legal document. They should treat you to the best of their ability and there should be no blow-back. Doctors don't always tell their patients the truth, or they omit facts that are not asked.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:46 PM   #3902
Master Chef

A few days ago I got one of those phone calls where the guy says he is my grandson. He did kind of sounded like him with a cold. He asked if I could keep a secrete. I got on alert. I said, what is your first name and he said, come on grandma you know my name, I kept asking him and he had no answer. So I said what is my first name and he kept saying, come on grandma, you know this is your favorite oldest grandson and I said you sound awful old for 11 (my oldest grandson is 32). And he hung up. I have often heard of these phone calls but I never thought I would get one. I guess they say they are in trouble and ask you to send them some money.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #3903
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
A few days ago I got one of those phone calls where the guy says he is my grandson. He did kind of sounded like him with a cold. He asked if I could keep a secrete. I got on alert. I said, what is your first name and he said, come on grandma you know my name, I kept asking him and he had no answer. So I said what is my first name and he kept saying, come on grandma, you know this is your favorite oldest grandson and I said you sound awful old for 11 (my oldest grandson is 32). And he hung up. I have often heard of these phone calls but I never thought I would get one. I guess they say they are in trouble and ask you to send them some money.
Good thing you were suspicious.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #3904
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
I would love to play with one of those phone calls. I'm such a brat on the phone.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #3905
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
On all fours was what I was thinking.
Those wrong dang keys jumped under my fingers again!

I can almost run down stairs backwards just fine. But in my right leg where I have the graft, there is a very big hole under that graft where there is no tissue. Before they put the graft in, you could look into the front part of my leg and see the back. That leg is forever going to be my weak leg. So when I go up stairs, my left leg has to do all the work. Completely support me and lift me up at the same time. Those stairs are equal to two full flights. More than 30 steps from top to bottom.

Before the surgery, I was in a wheelchair for just over a year. As a result, my 'good' leg became very weak and I have never regained full strength back into it. And according to my doctors, I won't. There is damage there also from the diabetes. So if I should come to visit any of you, your neighbors will get a sight! I am going to be going up your front steps on all fours. Almost falling down that flight of stairs really scared me.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #3906
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I would love to play with one of those phone calls. I'm such a brat on the phone.
Me too. I just love to jerk them around. One time I got a call from an investment firm. They wanted to help me plan my retirement and handle my investments for me. I had that lady going and making all plans for me. Then when she started to ask for more detailed info as to where my funds were presently, I told her the courts had control of them because they found me guilty of mail fraud and a few other charges related to RICOH. All of a sudden I hear a very loud "CLICK!" Hey it kept me entertained for about 15 minutes.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #3907
Executive Chef

You were very smart, Joann, to ask for names. So many people get taken in by these scams. I would tell them that if they were really a family member they would know not to call ME for money, because they all know I don't have any!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #3908
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
You were very smart, Joann, to ask for names. So many people get taken in by these scams. I would tell them that if they were really a family member they would know not to call ME for money, because they all know I don't have any!
I had another call were the man said he was from MSN and wanted to "talk to the person who used the computer". His accent was so bad I could hardly understand him. I told him that I was recording the phone call and he hung up. Later that week there was an article in our newspaper that it was some sort of scam.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:39 AM   #3909
Executive Chef

Grrr. Slipped on a patch of ice. You know that stretch where you pull your foot towards your butt and how some people can actually touch their heal to their butt? I can't quite get that far but I can get within a couple inches and it's a good thing because that's how I landed. Right knee bent, my butt landed on my foot. Fortunately my calf was directly under my thigh so my knee didn't twist, but it did get over stretched and the initial fall was caused not just by my foot slipping on the ice but also by my ankle twisting when my foot slipped. I took a couple ibuprofen, elevated my leg, and iced my knee and ankle. No swelling or bruising of either but both are kind of achey.

The hubby and I spent the day helping friends move so I'd already been lifting boxes and going up and down stairs all day. I was already fealing a bit stiff. We're supposed to help them finish up tomorrow. We'll see if I'm up to that. Will sleep in the recliner tonight so my leg stays elevated. Here's hoping.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:50 AM   #3910
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Owie PAG! Don't even try tomorrow if it's hurting.