"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #3971
Sous Chef

I hate that part when you're recovering from a stomach bug and your appetite returns before you're all the way better. I kept down some crackers earlier. I just ate a piece of bread and so far so good. I really just want to dig into a full meal, but know that's probably unwise at the moment! Fortunately the bug seems to be passing through my system pretty quickly!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #3972
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I'm better in the morning, but get worse at the night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Charlie, when I worked at Wyeth Pharmaceutical, I read an article about why patients feel worse at night, but seem all right during the day. It has something to do with the atmospheric pressure dropping at night when the temperature drops. I don't remember all of the explanation, but that was the whole gist of the article.

Have you ever noticed that your kids are always a lot sicker at night and you swear you are going to take them to the doctor first thing in the morning? But by then they feel much better and you think it was something minor and don't bother with the doctor visit. Then come night again and you are kicking yourself for not going to the doctor with the child.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #3973
Master Chef

Wow. Interesting. Thank you. BTW, since I last posted, I had the stones crushed and removed and the a week latter they took out the stent. So I feel better now, thank G-d for modern medicine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 04-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #3974
Master Chef

Charlie, I'm glad you're feeling better! Keep up the good work...and rest. I bet you feel better in the morning just because you got a nice night of sleep and rest. As the day wears, on so will you. Take it easy and don't do too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Charlie, when I worked at Wyeth Pharmaceutical, I read an article about why patients feel worse at night, but seem all right during the day. It has something to do with the atmospheric pressure dropping at night when the temperature drops...
Himself said that's known as "Gay-Lussac's Law". It's one of the four important Gas Laws he studied while majoring for three years at The Ohio State University. It wouldn't affect you on a day-by-day basis since it's such a minor difference daily. It IS what makes your joints ache when we're supposed to get rain or, in my case, what gives you a huge headache when a storm is approaching - namely, the sudden drop in the atmospheric pressure do to that approaching storm front. Daily? Not so much.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #3975
Proud American

Pets are also sicker at night.

I'm not complaining, but I am worried. DA is failing. She is requiring much more attention and to be honest, I know she is coming to the end of her days with me.

I just hope she will be well for to go back home in July. If not, Uncle Nicu has a small jet and that may be best for her. I may have to make a decision of this soon and I just hate it.

I am already of the option of Uncle's jet. It will make stops for fuel, but it will get her there in better comfort.

If she continues, I will do this. I promised to take her home while she is alive, and I shall do this. I'm very worried.

With love,
~Cat
Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #3976
Executive Chef

My husband has been in a lot of pain the past several days and he just showed me a rash on his side. He has shingles! I will call the DR tomorrow for meds. I am very glad to know what was causing the pain since he would NOT go to the doctor, but he is in for some really miserable days ahead. Shingles is terrible, and really bad in an older person. He is 71.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #3977
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Pets are also sicker at night.

I'm not complaining, but I am worried. DA is failing. She is requiring much more attention and to be honest, I know she is coming to the end of her days with me.

I just hope she will be well for to go back home in July. If not, Uncle Nicu has a small jet and that may be best for her. I may have to make a decision of this soon and I just hate it.

I am already of the option of Uncle's jet. It will make stops for fuel, but it will get her there in better comfort.

If she continues, I will do this. I promised to take her home while she is alive, and I shall do this. I'm very worried.

With love,
~Cat
Hang on there my Dear Girl, I have some prayers and good thoughts going forth for you and DA.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #3978
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My husband has been in a lot of pain the past several days and he just showed me a rash on his side. He has shingles! I will call the DR tomorrow for meds. I am very glad to know what was causing the pain since he would NOT go to the doctor, but he is in for some really miserable days ahead. Shingles is terrible, and really bad in an older person. He is 71.
Oh those are miserable, the first time I had them I was 15, have had them several times since. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. My condolences to your husband.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:32 AM   #3979
Master Chef

PF, shingles aren't a "one and done" problem? I have my annual check-up with my doctor tomorrow (actually today per MA time) and I plan on asking about the vaccination. I'm surrounded by family that has had them. Mom was around 60 when she had a bout, our son was only 15 and in his freshman year of high school. When he got them we thought he had developed a rash from the wrestling mats at school. Imagine how surprised we all were to find out he had shingles. He's 33 now and, fingers crossed, hasn't had a repeat episode.

Carol, I hope those clear up quickly for him. Our son was young so he toughed it through OK, but I remember Mom being miserable for quite a while.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:32 AM   #3980
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Carol have you had chicken pox? If you haven't, you should get the shot. When I told my doctor that I never had them, he called in the nurse and had her give me the shot right then and there in front of him. You can catch chicken pox from someone who has shingles. Don't be surprised if the Dr. wants him to come in so he can see how bad it is.