"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #4021
Master Chef

I never get flu shots. Couple of years ago my doctor talk me into it, so I did. Guess what, this was the time I got flu in years, if ever.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #4022
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I used to get flu shots free at work, but I quit getting them now that I'm retired. For one thing, I have never had the flu in my life. Bad colds, but no achy, fever,etc. The other reason, a good friend of ours recently developed Gillian Barre syndrome after getting the flu shot. He is in very bad shape now. I know, my doctor told me that is very rare, but it seems if something can go wrong, it will go wrong for me. So I choose not to get it.

I will never cave to a nurse again, PF. In the past few years I have been in the hospital for 3 10day stays for surgery, and 2 5 day stays for other things. I've learned a lot and realize that everyone can make a mistake and I have to look out for myself as much as I can. Don't do something just because a nurse tells you to. I respect them for what they do. They have a hard job. But no one is infallible.
As a nurse, I pay attention to what my patients say and I enjoy patients who are informed. I would rather hold a medication and get clarification from the doctor. One thing about being a patient lately, I've learned how helpless you feel when in the clutches of our healthcare system and nurses that act like robots, never questioning and being the patient advocate - which is what we are supposed to be...the patient advocate.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #4023
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I have to agree about overblown news stories. Here in Canada it is the mayor of Toronto. I don't know how I feel about him, I just know I am tired of hearing about it.

My real vent is about my new cell phone. It is great. It is how we were treated and how we got ripped off. My plan was due for renewal last Sunday. Up until then the company we are with (Fido for Canadians) was advertising the Samsung S4 for $200 with renewal. When we went there the person we have been dealing with for a few years was off. The two that were there were speaking the whole time to each other in their own language. They told us the phone was now $300 and if we wanted we could wait 2-3 weeks until the S5 comes out and the S4 would probably be lower. My phone and my tablet both weren't working and TB wanted me to have the new phone ASAP so we paid the $300. When I mentioned that we were regular customers the woman said we weren't in her system. No deals were discussed and we were treated like we were buying a candy bar.

Just yesterday TB got an email from Bestbuy advertising the S5 (different providers) for $229.

He is phoning Fido today saying either refund the entire price of the phone, give us the S5 instead and match the price or, cancel the whole thing and we will take our business elsewhere!

First the van and now this - why can't anything be simple anymore!
That's awful! That it's way too much for that phone! That it's a very good phone, but it has been out for a while so it shouldn't be nearly that expensive! Here the s4 on Verizon is $99 (USD) on contract and the s5 is $199. I believe that the s5 is even on a bogo deal right now.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #4024
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I never get flu shots. Couple of years ago my doctor talk me into it, so I did. Guess what, this was the time I got flu in years, if ever.
Rotten luck!

I have never gotten the flu shot and I probably won't ever get one unless they hold me down. That doesn't mean that flu shots are dangerous or ineffective for the most part even though the flu vaccine for a present year is made on some educated 'guesses' which are usually right but sometimes not.

If a person is worried about the thimerosal (contains a tiny amount of mercury) then it's best to only get a flu shot from an individual vial (one shot per vial) instead of those used by places that give multiple shots from the same vial. (Those multiple shot vials contain the thimerosal as a preservative and the single dose ones don't.)

If getting the flu vaccine from say a drug store or other facility that uses the multiple dose vial, if that doesn't worry you, always make sure you see the nurse open the sterile syringe and needle package in front of you.

Some will be inclined to say-------oh, that could never happen here in the U.S. Yet why does the CDC put this warning out on their site if it's never happened?

"A Patient Safety Threat Syringe Reuse
Important Information!
Please read this fact sheet if you have received a letter stating that you may be at risk due to syringe reuse by your healthcare provider.
Patients need to be aware of a very serious threat to their health - the reuse of needles or syringes, and the misuse of medication vials. Healthcare providers (doctors, nurses, and anyone providing injections) should never reuse a needle or syringe either from one patient to another or to withdraw medicine from a vial. Both needle and syringe must be discarded once they have been used. It is not safe to change the needle and reuse the syringe - this practice can transmit disease."

CDC - Syringe Reuse - Injections Safety

I personally have been a patient in a doctors office where someone got Hep C from just that very thing! This was not a sleazy, dirty office but a very clean one with nice doctors and staff.

The decision whether or not to get a flu shot is individual but please be aware of some pros and cons first.

Sometimes the decision is 'made for you'----sometimes as a condition of employment (schools, nursing facilities, hospitals etc.) Some states (all?) require children in school and pre-school to get a flu shot. If I had a child that had to get a flu shot I'd try to have that child vaccinated by my personal doctor (single injection vial). If that's not possible, financially, then I'd sure stand by and make sure both a sterile syringe and needle is used and not just have the needle changed.

CDC has also deemed the problem of multiple uses of syringes and/or needles prevalent enough to issue this warning:

" A survey of US healthcare workers who provide medication through injection found that 1% to 3% reused the same needle and/or syringe on multiple patients "

CDC also stated :
"Whenever possible, use of single-dose vials is preferred over multiple-dose vials, especially when medications will be administered to multiple patients."

CDC - Safe Injection Practices - Injections Safety
Old 04-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #4025
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
That's awful! That it's way too much for that phone! That it's a very good phone, but it has been out for a while so it shouldn't be nearly that expensive! Here the s4 on Verizon is $99 (USD) on contract and the s5 is $199. I believe that the s5 is even on a bogo deal right now.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app
It looks like we are getting at least a partial refund for the phone, but don't know for sure yet. They will call us back today. They were really digging in their heals about it. Canada just came up with new cell plan rules that were to make sure costs were regulated, but the companies have found ways around it of course.

On another vent, Samsung emailed this morning saying that they will not cover my Taichi repair under warranty because it was most obviously dropped. Huh? I am so careful with that thing it isn't funny. TB even laughs about how if I had a baby he knows I would be a great Mom! The power cable just stopped working one day but there were no obstructions or visible damage to it or the notebook/tablet.

I am beginning to hate electronics

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #4026
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
It looks like we are getting at least a partial refund for the phone, but don't know for sure yet. They will call us back today. They were really digging in their heals about it. Canada just came up with new cell plan rules that were to make sure costs were regulated, but the companies have found ways around it of course.

On another vent, Samsung emailed this morning saying that they will not cover my Taichi repair under warranty because it was most obviously dropped. Huh? I am so careful with that thing it isn't funny. TB even laughs about how if I had a baby he knows I would be a great Mom! The power cable just stopped working one day but there were no obstructions or visible damage to it or the notebook/tablet.

I am beginning to hate electronics
Check out if there are any local repair places for the tablet. It sounds like maybe the charging port went bad. If you have another charger that fits the port and it still doesn't work, it is likely the port. We have had many cell phone repair shops open in the last couple years and they work on tablets as well. If it is the charging port (that's a somewhat common failure) it shouldn't cost much to repair.

I try to take good care of my electronics as well. It amazes me to see the condition that some people's phones are in!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #4027
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You have to be very proactive when in the hospital, refusing medications you know you are not supposed to take and those you are supposed to take. I was considered non-compliant because I refused to take the Lantus insulin. I had no problem taking the regular insulin and insisted on taking my normal Victoza. They also tried changing my cholesterol medications...didn't happen.

Don't cave in when in the hospital, just tell the nurse, "no". You can also demand a different nurse.
I have been "non compliant" for so long, I wear the title like a badge. I know what meds I am on and what I am not on. And every time I go to any of my doctors for a visit, they always go over my complete list which is in the hospital computer as well as Winthrop. I also bring a complete printout from Winthrop with me. I have a couple of meds that neither Medicare or Medicaid will pay for. So my ESP pays for them. One is $105 a tube. Anytime I have had to go to the hospital, I grab the tube which is right by my bedside and bring it with me. Only ESP is willing to pick up the complete cost for this med. And the hospital does not have it. All the hospital has to do is check my record from Winthrop and the computer record of the hospital.

The Elder Service Plan, (Winthrop) shares their patient information with the BMC. All their patients are instructed to go there as they have a contract with the hospital. ESP has complete access to Boston Medical Center records of their patients and visa versa. ESP has a list of meds that are listed "Upon request only" such as stool softener, inhaler, etc. that is separate from my daily meds. I love this system. There is no mix up on my meds ever at the hospital. Stool softeners as far as Medicare is concerned can be bought OTC. But should I ask for one in the hospital, they know that ESP will pick up the cost.

As much as I gripe about ESP, I am so grateful for them. I think I have the very best care anyone could ask for. I pay absolutely nothing for copay. I pay nothing for transportation. All meds are delivered right to me in my hand, in my home. If it is an OTC, all I have to do is ask for it. I get a large jar of Eucerin cream each month for my skin graph. If it is after hours, and I need some attention, but not at the hospital, there is a nurse on 24 hr. call. And there is a duly trained medical aide in the building where I live around the clock. I have no complaints.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #4028
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I only started getting the flu shot in 2012. I had started getting the flu every winter. In 2013, Stirling came with me and got the flu shot for the first time. This past winter was the first time he ever got the flu. But, it was most likely a different strain than what he was vaccinated for. He would have gotten it whether or not he had the flu shot. He was appalled at how awful the flu is. He swore he would get the flu shot every year. He is going to do what he can to hopefully prevent ever getting the flu again. I haven't had the flu since I got my first shot. Yay!
Old 04-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #4029
Chef Extraordinaire

I have never had the flu or the flu shot.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #4030
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Norovirus is going around our sister facility that I worked at a couple of weeks ago. Now we are getting their admits until they can resume admitting...so I'm going to be doing assessments and paperwork on people who will be with us just a couple weeks.