"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #4031
Chef Extraordinaire

I just got through another bout of it also. Not fun!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #4032
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Norovirus is going around our sister facility that I worked at a couple of weeks ago. Now we are getting their admits until they can resume admitting...so I'm going to be doing assessments and paperwork on people who will be with us just a couple weeks.
Norovirus is one of the nastiest things around! I had it once, about 10 years ago and hope I never get it again. And I hope you don't get it, PF. Have you had the vaccine for it?

"Significant outbreaks occur in health care facilities, childcare centers and other places where people are in close quarters, including in the military and on cruise ships."

Norovirus vaccine reduces symptoms by half - Medical News Today

When an outbreak occurred in the city I was living in, I scrubbed my hands so often I almost took the skin off. And I wore a mask when going shopping.

It's one big mutthah of a disease!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #4033
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I think C Difficile can give it a run for its money. A friend of mine contracted it in the hospital and it nearly killed her. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clostridium_difficile
Old 04-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #4034
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think C Difficile can give it a run for its money. A friend of mine contracted it in the hospital and it nearly killed her. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clostridium_difficile
There's no doubt that C. diff is a very serious problem. I hope your friend is o.k. now.
C. diff is a huge problem in hospitals, nursing homes, etc. That's probably the 'best' way to get it---- or go on a cruise ship.

But the notion that just 'over-use'of antibiotics is a crock which is the take-away-point of many articles about C. diff---- unless a person is in the hospital where nurses, doctors and other staff may be the people who help pass it along. Or on a cruise ship.

Door knobs are major offenders of C. diff and norovirus. Learn to use your elbows.

I took antibiotics for about 17 years with nary a C. diff problem. I'm not the only one---- go to any Lyme forum and just see how many cases of C. diff are reported---- all long time, heavy users of antibiotics. (Very rarely reported and usually after a hospital stay.)

The main difference between norovirus and C. diff is norovirus affects 'both ends' and C. diff is usually just the bottom end.

I'm not making light of C. diff because I know it's very serious.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #4035
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yes, my friend is fine now. It was a couple of years ago. It took months, a visiting nurse, and the help of a number of friends. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't called when I did. She sounded so awful, I rushed right over. It's one of the reasons I try to make sure I frequently keep in touch with my single friends.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #4036
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
As a nurse, I pay attention to what my patients say and I enjoy patients who are informed. I would rather hold a medication and get clarification from the doctor. One thing about being a patient lately, I've learned how helpless you feel when in the clutches of our healthcare system and nurses that act like robots, never questioning and being the patient advocate - which is what we are supposed to be...the patient advocate.
One of the things I love about BMC is that when the nurse comes into your room, they pull up a chair to talk to you. They don't do it standing over you. Before they give me any meds, sitting down they tell me what they are giving me and the dosage. Then they tell me what the next pills will be and what time she will be back with them. They don't talk "down" to you.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #4037
Head Chef

O.K.---- major steam coming out of my ears!!

I had a suspected urinary tract infection, had the test done and my doc rx'd a drug I'd never taken before for one.
But I took it and started feeling a little worse (than normal). No big deal. Then one evening I got some very sharp pains in my left shoulder, migrating down my left arm and some pains near my heart!

I've never had any heart problems but knew enough to think "maybe a heart attack"? But I didn't go to the ER and yes I know I should have----- but I also know enough about ERs and EKGs etc to think that they're never going to find out what was wrong. So I went to bed, had a hard time sleeping but survived (while thinking "come on! If you're gonna do it---- make it big time and get it over with!)

Next morning, after having survived, I checked the side effects of the drug. Guess what I found?? Shoulder pain, joint pain, feeling 'not good' yada yada. Read a Swedish medical journal article that spoke of just the same type of side effects with the conclusion that that drug should probably be removed from use!!

Ok, finally to my vent! I emailed my PCP about the side effects I had. He emailed back "I've never had a patient react this way to XXXXX even if it is listed as possible side effects".

Well, it wasn't listed as 'possible' but as one of the most common side effects! And I don't give a hoot if he'd never had a patient react like that!!!! I DID! The wording really got to me. If he had just said ' I've never had any other patient react as you did. Let's try to find another med' ---- that would have sufficed.

I'm pissed! There's a plaque in the waiting room telling patients how that office is 'patient centered'. I know where I'd like to put that plaque.

$&#@%##!!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #4038
Chef Extraordinaire

CDC - Syringe Reuse - Injections Safety

I can honestly say I have never seen a nurse or doctor or any medical personnel not toss a used needle. I see them put the cap back on the needle and then bend it and place it in the Hazardous Waste container that is in every room. Whether it be BMC or Winthrop. Those containers cannot be opened without a certain key.

I am not saying reusing the needles does not happen, just that I have never seen it.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:49 PM   #4039
Certified Cake Maniac

After all the trouble with our van (and we still haven't gotten a settlement yet), we can't believe that the sales manager mailed a sale flyer to us personally today.

Last time he tried phoning here TB emailed and said we were dealing with GM Head office and everything must be in writing from now on.

We were expecting a letter of apology and a cheque, not an invitation to buy a 2013 Camaro!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #4040
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
...We were expecting a letter of apology and a cheque, not an invitation to buy a 2013 Camaro!

Clearly, customers who drive a van are your target audience for a Camaro.

What a tool!