"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #4061
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I guess I must associate with a different breed of people, because most of the couples I know, especially the younger ones, share household and child care duties. The only ones I know who don't are the older ones, 60 and over who are holdovers from the 50's. My husband does more around the house than I do.
We were both posting at the same time-----so you say that the majority of young(er) households (where both work full time away from home) do share the housework---- all of it? That would be fantastic.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #4062
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
We were both posting at the same time-----so you say that the majority of young(er) households (where both work full time away from home) do share the housework---- all of it? That would be fantastic.

I can only speak about people I know. I can't say it's the majority. I recall when I was still working, from what the young married women had to say, they would not stand for working 8 hours a day and then going home and having to do everything at home while hubby sat there flipping the remote! DH retired before me. He had dinner ready when I walked in the door. He vacuums twice a week, mops the floors, and does some laundry, still after I retired. Plus does all the yard work and takes care of the car. And the dog. LOL All while I play around on the computer.

My son gets home before his wife. Picks up the child, feeds him, gets dinner started. Pitches in with bathing the child and putting him to bed. I have often seen him vacuuming while his wife was doing laundry, or vice versa. He did this stuff at home, because Mom was a working mother and everyone had to pitch in. A lot of the other younger couples I know are their friends, and the situations are similar. The younger women don't stand for that crap! LOL

Old 04-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #4063
Sous Chef

Usually, DH does less housework than I do, but he also works more hours outside the home than I do. I work part time when he is home for the most part (we wanted one of us to be with our kids as much as possible), so he takes care of our kids when I'm not here and we both care for them when we're both here. He works second shift, so he ends up making them breakfast and lunch when I work. Granted, he doesn't cook much, but he prepares food, cleans up when he's here. He changed diapers from day one. I know a fair number of stay-at-home moms and most of their husbands help out at home too. If Mom is still working when Dad gets home from work, Dad starts helping until they can both relax. I do know families where the male barely picks up after himself, let alone help with actual cleaning, but of the people I know, those families are rare. Fairly often I do still see a more classic division in which responsibilities are whose primarily, with men focusing first on outdoor work, maintenance, taking garbage out, etc and women focusing fist on cleaning, organizing and child rearing, but even there usually one helps the other once they're done.

This pregnancy was rough physically for the first half and emotionally and physically for the second and I can honestly say, in the past 8 months DH has done as much if not more around the house than I have. I'm more efficient and more detailed than he is, but he puts in the time, even though he works over twice the hours at his job than I do.
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #4064
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Baby Bro does all the cooking, cleaning, and housework, along with his full time job. His wife has a part-time business, and doesn't have time to do much else. They both dote on their children.

I do all the cooking and cleaning, even when we both worked full time, but only because I prefer the way I cook, clean, load the dishwasher and do laundry to the way DH would do it. He can mow the lawn.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:12 AM   #4065
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shrek washes the dishes and vacuums, I do the rest. He does those two jobs because he kept running himself out of dishes and I would let them stack up. Why should i wash dishes that I didn't get dirty? And he has always vacuumed, he has a lower tolerance for messy floors than i do.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #4066
Chef Extraordinaire

Other than when he was injured, husband #1 went to work to earn the paycheck and I stayed home with the kids and spent it. You typical European attitude for the 50's. When he was home, he did all the cleaning, diaper changing, etc. Never complained, and neither did I. As far as I could see, he was doing a good job. He did discover that taking care of a home and four small children, is not an easy job.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #4067
Chef Extraordinaire

Spike went to Staples yesterday to pick up two small items for me . The receipt is more than 1.5 feet long. There goes a whole patch of very healthy trees.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #4068
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Shrek washes the dishes and vacuums, I do the rest. He does those two jobs because he kept running himself out of dishes and I would let them stack up. Why should i wash dishes that I didn't get dirty? And he has always vacuumed, he has a lower tolerance for messy floors than i do.
I actually like to vacuum, but Rob does the majority of the vacuuming. Rob is some kind of wizard at loading the dishwasher, I've never seen anyone get so much in there and still have the dishes get clean! With that said, I have to prod him a bit to load and unload the dishwasher. I've seen him organize the dirty dishes in the sink (plates stacked according to size and silverware in cups)

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #4069
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I actually like to vacuum, but Rob does the majority of the vacuuming. Rob is some kind of wizard at loading the dishwasher, I've never seen anyone get so much in there and still have the dishes get clean! With that said, I have to prod him a bit to load and unload the dishwasher. I've seen him organize the dirty dishes in the sink (plates stacked according to size and silverware in cups)
I was looking at the iRobot vacuums. I have my heart set on one. I know I can save up for a mid priced one in just a couple of months. I simply cannot vacuum since my open heart surgery. I have only one room to vacuum, but it is the main room. My only concern is the cost of the upkeep of the machine.

I stack my dirty dishes on the counter after rinsing them. Living alone and making full use of paper bowls and plates, I have most dirty pans and silverware.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #4070
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

When Shrek retired, he stopped doing anything...that was when I let the dishes stack up. He started washing the dishes that he used during the day while I was sleeping, but got it into his head that it reverted to me on my days off. I quickly told him that was his NOW job. I don't complain about doing everything else except, he wants to use the biggest trash bags in the house and I can't lift them over my head into the dumpster.