"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #4071
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

I was looking at the iRobot vacuums. I have my heart set on one. I know I can save up for a mid priced one in just a couple of months. I simply cannot vacuum since my open heart surgery. I have only one room to vacuum, but it is the main room. My only concern is the cost of the upkeep of the machine.

I stack my dirty dishes on the counter after rinsing them. Living alone and making full use of paper bowls and plates, I have most dirty pans and silverware.
Drat. I'd just gotten Mom a brand new Roomba a couple months before she died. I ended up giving it to DH's brother, don't think he's appreciating it.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #4072
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Drat. I'd just gotten Mom a brand new Roomba a couple months before she died. I ended up giving it to DH's brother, don't think he's appreciating it.

When you have open heart surgery, they saw your sternum bone in half. That bone NEVER heals back together. So sweeping and vacuuming are painful to do. As a result my kids have to do it for me. When they are in the mood.

My girlfriend in Atlanta got one when they first came out. She named it "Big Daddy!" I already have a name picked out if and when I ever get one. "Little Buddy!"

Old 04-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #4073
Executive Chef

Love my Roomba! Addie, not sure what you mean by "upkeep" of the machine. Mine has been running 5 days a week vacuuming at least 2000 sq ft., since I got it (Christmas 2012). I have yet to even change the edge brushes (it comes with extras). Just dump the dust collector every few days and clean the brushes periodically(I've done it once) Mind you, it is only cleaning hardwood and tile right now, but the first year I did have a 5x7 area rug in the living room (still no issues). The biggest issue is that you must keep small items off the floor. Sometimes it bumps things a little hard
(I have a telephone table with a shelf about 8 inches off the floor, I had a "yellow pages" book on that shelf it got bumped off and run over a few times several pages were partially "eaten", lol! We have Ekornes Stressless chairs with foot stools, we move the foot stools up on to the chairs every couple of days, so "Rosie" can vacuum under them (we often eat in the LR "gasp"! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1397935048.516101.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	21116
"Rosie's" home.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #4074
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
When Shrek retired, he stopped doing anything...that was when I let the dishes stack up. He started washing the dishes that he used during the day while I was sleeping, but got it into his head that it reverted to me on my days off. I quickly told him that was his NOW job. I don't complain about doing everything else except, he wants to use the biggest trash bags in the house and I can't lift them over my head into the dumpster.
As small as my place is, I have five waste baskets. One by the computer, one by my bed, one in the bathroom and two in the kitchen. The two in the kitchen are right beside the two counters I use mostly for prep work. Just slide it off right into the basket. They are the perfect size and designed for the plastic bags from the grocery store. They even have a tabs that stick up to put the bag handles over. When one is full, I just tie up the handles and put it in a large green bag. Then when that is almost full, I take it to the trash room. There are large barrels there and I do have to lift them. The Pirate has a habit of filling that bag until it is heavy. When he does that, I make him take it to the trash room. Having a scooter is a big help. I just whiz down the hall dragging the big bag beside me.

Four of the baskets are just plain white. I have been after Spike to pick me up a couple of rolls of Contact Paper so I can cover them. Right now my face is blue from holding my breath.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #4075
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

AAArgh...Shrek cleaned out the fridge two days ago...he dumped everything in the kitchen trash. He didn't take it out...guess what I am smelling from 10' away.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #4076
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
AAArgh...Shrek cleaned out the fridge two days ago...he dumped everything in the kitchen trash. He didn't take it out...guess what I am smelling from 10' away.
Does the urge to lovingly strangle get stronger of some days?
Old 04-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #4077
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Does the urge to lovingly strangle get stronger of some days?
I was thinking "pillow therapy" I no longer have the strength in my hands.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #4078
Head Chef

Quote:
he wants to use the biggest trash bags in the house and I can't lift them over my head into the dumpster.
While living at the ranch my then husband had to take all our food garbage and stuff that wouldn't degrade eventually, like plastic, metals etc, to the dump in the ranch truck. Because there'd been a large-ish land slide not too far from the houses on the ranch the owner wanted wood, papers et al. thrown down into that chasm. I wonder just how filled up it's gotten so far and what that will look like in a 1000 years!

To pack more into the large-ish trash container in the house, he would stomp on the contents (covering it with a plastic bag or something) so that there was a large and HEAVY collection of garbage in the bag---- I could hardly lift it---and I was a lot younger and healthier then!

Plus there was an Eau de Garbage in the kitchen at times. Sigh.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #4079
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I just took some trash out, the top of the dumpster is at chin level to me. I just cannot lift things that are 40-50 lbs up to shoulder height anymore without pain.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:43 AM   #4080
Master Chef

I have a vanity-size waste basket under our sink that uses plastic grocery store bags, but it doesn't have tabs for the bunny ears on the bags. Doesn't matter, most of the bags are just tall enough to fold over the edge of the basket a bit. That's where I put all my stinky kitchen garbage. Depending on what I've made that day Himself takes the bag out ever day or two. We also have a large kitchen waste basket at the end of the counter. That's where all the "dry" garbage goes - and that bag comes out only every-other week on our trash collection days.

We have to contract for our own trash hauler out here in the sticks. We have the options of pick-up either every week or, for a slightly lower cost, every other week. Two wheeled carts, one for garbage and one for recyclables, each about 96 gallons. We take the garbage one out every pick-up, but it is rarely even half full. I wonder how sparse our garbage would be if I got around to composting. Sometimes we don't need to take the recyclables out for two or even three pick-up cycles. We just don't generate much trash! Meanwhile, the couple across the street get a weekly pick-up and sometimes the lid on the garbage one is slightly ajar. Their cart must be full of empty pizza boxes.