"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #4101
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Taxy, I was thinking about that same article!

Old 06-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #4102
Chef Extraordinaire

TL, I just read that to DH - he says he'll happily take that $135,000!

Actually, he no longer teaches in the classroom - he became an administrator 10 years ago after 13 years of teaching and 4 years in the Navy and would *still* love to have that salary.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Old 06-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #4103
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I don't think teachers should be allowed to strike. I am only brave enough to say that because no one here knows where to find me! LOL
In many places, it's illegal for public employees to strike. It was in Michigan in the late '70s when my dad didn't get a raise for 5 years, during 20% per year inflation. So they went on strike. The school board went to court, which ordered them back to work. They refused. They were arrested for contempt of court and put in jail for 30 days, taken away IN CHAINS ON TV. My dad spent his 40th birthday in jail. He quit teaching not long after that.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #4104
Certified Cake Maniac

Money is definitely an issue for the teachers but so is class size and extra-curricular activities. Which can be taken many ways. 1)they are worried about not being able to teach effectively in larger class sizes, 2)more work, more marking, 3) less money for more work.

I just want it over for the sake of the students....and many of my friends are teachers and they hate the job action too. They just want to teach their kids but the union is pressing for more and more and more.....

The government is not budging, but are threatening to legislate them back on an essential services bill.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #4105
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
The government is ... threatening to legislate them back on an essential services bill.
What does this mean?
Old 06-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #4106
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
What does this mean?

Same as what happened to your dad I'd guess.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #4107
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
What does this mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Same as what happened to your dad I'd guess.
The teachers will start voting next week to go out on a full strike. However, the government can deem them as an essential service which means they will fall under pre-existing laws stipulating that anyone classified as an essential service will be ordered back to work.

Parents today went on picket lines standing up for their kids; some were in favour of the teacher's demands and others were not.

While the union is pushing for the teachers to vote yes to the all out strike, they are also saying that their funds are low and will not cover much in the way of strike pay if it is passed.

Support staff are also out as they will not cross the picket lines so they lose money. And graduation ceremonies (and dances) are having to be re-booked elsewhere as they can't use the schools. As well, striking teachers will not be allowed to see their students receive their diplomas.

This is just a total mess. One of the girls I mentor needs her provincial exams to get finalize an application for a very tough program (Vet technician) and if she doesn't get them in, will be forced to wait another whole year to see if she is even accepted.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #4108
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I do not believe in Unions and will not work for a hospital or facility that requires me to join a Union. There are some workers who should never be "subject" to the decisions of a Union.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:24 AM   #4109
Certified Cake Maniac

TB is in a union but it hasn't helped him the couple of times he needed it. They did stand up to the transit company regarding laying off drivers in favour of taxis but the taxi issue is still being tossed back and forth. Thankfully though TB now has enough seniority he is not in jeopardy of lay-off or being bumped to a different depot for the taxi issue anyway.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #4110
Executive Chef

Quote:
In many places, it's illegal for public employees to strike. It was in Michigan in the late '70s when my dad didn't get a raise for 5 years, during 20% per year inflation. So they went on strike. The school board went to court, which ordered them back to work. They refused. They were arrested for contempt of court and put in jail for 30 days, taken away IN CHAINS ON TV. My dad spent his 40th birthday in jail. He quit teaching not long after that.

A friend's husband lost his job as an air traffic controller when Reagan ordered them back to work and they didn't go. He was never allowed to work as an air traffic controller again. They have struggled financially ever since.