"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #4181
Senior Cook

Hubby and I think the best we can do is not mention canning. If the subject does come up anyway and we get a lecture that's it's expensive we just shut up and let her go on but then do as we want. Unfortunately it'd go right over her head that it's my art and my therapy.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #4182
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairygirl69 View Post
Hubby and I think the best we can do is not mention canning. If the subject does come up anyway and we get a lecture that's it's expensive we just shut up and let her go on but then do as we want. Unfortunately it'd go right over her head that it's my art and my therapy.
I have a couple of people like that in my life, I believe they were sent to test me.

Sometimes I pass, sometimes I fail!

Old 08-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #4183
Senior Cook

Me too! Lol
Old 08-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #4184
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
She just...asks. It feels kind of intrusive honestly. The hubby's tried to get her to stop asking questions like that and it just fuels her forward more. She's not a very good listener. She'd rather do everything to make her point.
An old trick my mother taught me to stop a conversation, is to answer a question with a question.

"How much did you spend for that?"

Does it matter what the cost was if it is something I want and enjoy?" But my favorite response is mostly,

"Do you really have a need to know that?" I know it sounds rude, but so is asking me financial questions unless you are a loan officer at a bank.

I also find just staring at them and saying nothing, will force them to repeat the question. Then I just shrug my shoulders like I don't know what they are talking about.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #4185
Senior Cook

Heeeey, not a bad idea! Very constructive!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #4186
Chef Extraordinaire

FG, are you familiar with Carolyn Hax? She's an advice columnist for the Washington Post and has great insights on all types of relationship issues. She has a big thing about setting boundaries and couples dealing with problems like yours as a team. Here's a similar situation she spoke to: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...b90_story.html

As Addie indicated, you don't need to answer every question someone asks you.

Btw, how long have you been married?
Old 08-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #4187
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Whenever someone feels the need to force their opinion on me or criticize what I'm doing, I usually put on a big fake smile, muster up a good deal of snark and say "Well thank you for that unsolicited opinion on how I do things" Unless they are dense, they usually get the clue.

My mother-in-law is dense, that's why we don't see her often.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #4188
Senior Cook

We'll be married fourteen years this September😊. She loves us very much but she can be very nosey and intrusive.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:32 AM   #4189
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
We'll be married fourteen years this September��. She loves us very much but she can be very nosey and intrusive.
I am the best MIL in the world. Not once have I ever intruded into the marriages of my children. I figure, it's their marriage not mine. I don't have to live it. Even when I have asked my kids if they can remember anytime I have ever intruded where I was not wanted, I always get a "No" for an answer. Sure there has been lots of times when I wanted to. But I walked away and busied myself with other activities. If they want to confide in me, all they get in return is "I understand, uh huh, etc.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #4190
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay, the stupid version on Addie did it again. This is the second time. The breakfast sausages are kept on the top shelf. An area I cannot see, so I stretch as best as I can and grab the package closest to the edge. I just opened the package up and when cutting out the label for the freezer bag, I noticed "Maple Flavored". I hate maple flavored breakfast sausages. Too late. The package is already opened. Pirate can eat them. Lesson learned. The next time I will ask for help and emphasize, REGULAR FLAVORED ONLY!