"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #4201
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Chief, any tips on making homemade pate? I have made pork liver pate that came out wonderful and some that tasted a bit too cooked. Yes, I used a hot water bath in the oven. I guess it's the French influence, but I can get really good pate in the pre-packed deli section of just about any grocery store around here.
I'll make a seperate thread tonight with my recipe and technique. It's probably far different than what you're used to, but it works.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #4202
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I once over heard a woman ask another how much a gift she received cost.She wasn't being that polite about how she asked.It was more of a demanding tone.

The woman politely replied "I don't know.I was told it was purposely re gifted to me. What a thoughtful thing to do.I really needed that."

I guess she told her.She showed a lot of class.
What a polite response to a rude question. Love it.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #4203
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My step-daughter has a terrible habit of asking people how much they paid for things. When she was a teen I berated her for that all the time. She says she wants to know, so she asks! LOL I told her to ask where they got it, then go there and see what it cost. She also asks people how much they make. Grrrrrr She's 46...old enough to know better.

Come to think of it, my MIL did both of those things, too.
I know a couple that does the opposite, they make a point of telling people how much they paid for everything. I have had drinks and dinner at their house and felt like I should tuck a fifty under the rim of my plate to compensate them for everything I consumed!
Old 06-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #4204
Master Chef

I agree, it's generally rude to ask how much they paid for things just for the sake of being curious.
But on the other hand I've asked people what they paid for certain things they've purchased, but in the context of the relevant conversation we were having, whether it was a laptop, a car, a refrigerator, a house, etc....
Old 06-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #4205
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I agree, it's generally rude to ask how much they paid for things just for the sake of being curious.
But on the other hand I've asked people what they paid for certain things they've purchased, but in the context of the relevant conversation we were having, whether it was a laptop, a car, a refrigerator, a house, etc....
Yes, exactly. Context matters. If it's just nosiness, it better be a really good friend.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #4206
Chef Extraordinaire

I give up! I went through six recipes today from the company that specializes in "recipe development and brand development." I was able to identify recipes "developed" (and paid for) a year or more ago that were almost identical. Change one ingredient (lemon instead of lime). I have had to test, revise, fix, almost every recipe from this company. What is worse, a Chef I know has told me that 3 of the people who develop those recipes have said that it is fun to develop recipes on paper and have the company I work for test drive them--not on the company's dime that develops them. Am I the only one who thinks it is wrong to recycle recipes as "new" when only one ingredient has been replaced and the methodology is the same?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #4207
Certified Pretend Chef

For a minor change such as lime for lemon, I'd say that's inappropriate.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #4208
Chef Extraordinaire

What do you mean, Andy? The company charged as if it was a new recipe. I assume that is what you meant that it was inappropriate to charge as if a new recipe had been developed? I think it is dishonourable to cut and paste recipes already developed, change one ingredient, and charge as if it were a new recipe.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #4209
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
What do you mean, Andy? The company charged as if it was a new recipe. I assume that is what you meant that it was inappropriate to charge as if a new recipe had been developed? I think it is dishonourable to cut and paste recipes already developed, change one ingredient, and charge as if it were a new recipe.

I was agreeing with you.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #4210
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I once over heard a woman ask another how much a gift she received cost.She wasn't being that polite about how she asked.It was more of a demanding tone.

The woman politely replied "I don't know.I was told it was purposely re gifted to me. What a thoughtful thing to do.I really needed that."

I guess she told her.She showed a lot of class.
I very rarely ask the price. And if I do it is to a very, very close friend. But I don't ask for the price outright. I ask "Is it expensive?" My friends know the limits of my pocketbook. So they know whether I can afford it or not. I will get a yes or a no. If the answer is yes, I drop the subject. If no, then I might ask where they found it. (meaning which store) The only thing I have no qualms about asking the price of, is groceries. And aren't we all looking for a bargain in that area.