"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-10-2015, 01:01 PM   #4221
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I am not a FIL, yet. My oldest is 29, I keep bothering him with questions. When? He has a serious GF. He says I am annoying. Now, what am I to do? I am his father, I want to know. Am I wrong?
Yes. Be patient. You don't really know what anyone's relationship is like. Bugging him about it will only cause anger and resentment. And if/when they do get married, don't start bugging them about grandchildren.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #4222
Chef Extraordinaire

Charlie, I remember when I first got married and had my first baby. Everyone wanted to know when was I planning on having the second one. I was still a teenager. I was thrilled to death with having my daughter. A second child was the farthest thing from my mind. Then when I finally did have the second baby, the next question everyone kept asking me was, "Are you two planning on having a big family?" And these folks weren't even family relations.

But I will admit that having grandchildren are nice. Then all of a sudden there is an explosion. Nineteen grand and great grands. And there are still a few that have yet to have their first. But one of the great grand kids is almost ready to get married and start her family. I stand an excellent chance of becoming a great, great grandmother in a few years.

Be patient. Your turn is coming. When he is ready, he will come home all excited to tell you she said "Yes!"

Old 06-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #4223
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yes. Be patient. You don't really know what anyone's relationship is like. Bugging him about it will only cause anger and resentment. And if/when they do get married, don't start bugging them about grandchildren.

Yes. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to get married, and/or not wanting to have children.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #4224
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Yes. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to get married, and/or not wanting to have children.
+1...
Old 06-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #4225
Master Chef

Charlie, our kids are 34. Neither our son nor our daughter are married, and it doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon. Doesn't matter to us, they are both happy with how their lives are going. Raising a happy, reasonably successful child is better than being a FIL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...Then when I finally did have the second baby, the next question everyone kept asking me was, "Are you two planning on having a big family?" And these folks weren't even family relations...
When the kids were little and wearing us down, we used to dress them pretty and head to the mall. Here we were with Loverly in pink, Goober in blue, side-by-side in the twin stroller, walking the mall and enjoying people telling us "how cute" and "you are so lucky" until we felt human again. Then there were those people who would ask when we were having another. I finally settled on telling them "well, we have a boy and a girl. If God comes up with a third gender, we'll try again".
Old 06-12-2015, 08:19 AM   #4226
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Don't feel bad Charlie. My grandson gave his GF a beautiful diamond last year. But no plans for marriage in the near future, if ever. It was just the symbolic meaning of the ring for the both of them. Commitment. Neither one wants children. They enjoy traveling and going on vacation. Then there is his little sister. She is approaching her mid 20's and has no interest in marriage or a permanent relationship. So my daughter and her husband are screwed big time for grandchildren. Looks like they will have to grow old together without any grand kiddies underfoot.

That's what I told him. You are denying me the pleasure of having grandchildren.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 06-12-2015, 08:22 AM   #4227
Master Chef

In all truth I do not understand what all these kids are looking or waiting for. I asked his mother to marry me after 3 days.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #4228
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
In all truth I do not understand what all these kids are looking or waiting for. I asked his mother to marry me after 3 days.

I know what you mean. They seem to be gunshy at the prospect of marriage. It took me a few weeks, but no more, and our first child was born ten months later(No sex until after we were married and two of my four followed the same rule),

I knew that i was born to be a husband and a father, in that order, and as soon as I could.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #4229
Master Chef

I've had enough with the racoons, possums, and skunks tearing up my urban backyard so I bought a pellet gun to take care of the problem once and for all....
Old 06-12-2015, 09:49 PM   #4230
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
+1...
Thank you. I am married. We're not having children. One of the most annoying questions to ever be asked as a couple is "why not?"