"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2015, 12:44 PM   #4251
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Bakechef--fast forward to when you are 70. You do not have anyone to help you with taking care of the home,
I can vouch for the fact that having kids does not guarantee that you will have someone to help you when you get older. If you have that you are very fortunate.
__________________

__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #4252
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Our other dog loved to be outside and would go out every 15 minutes if you let him. This dog only wants to go out when he has to "go." Meanwhile, DH is thinking of the other dog and asks him if he wants to go outside, all day. The dog thinks that's the only thing he knows how to say! LOL
__________________

__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #4253
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I can vouch for the fact that having kids does not guarantee that you will have someone to help you when you get older. If you have that you are very fortunate.
I am very fortunate. Don't need to say more than that. It will be a while before I have to have much help, but the day will come, and I've been told by all of my kids that they will be there. Oh, I want to change my first statement: I'm not fortunate, I'm blessed.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #4254
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Don't you think it's a tad selfish to have children for the purpose of having someone to take care of you when you're old? Did you miss my last post on this topic?
In hindsight, I think it was a tad selfish not to have had children because one wanted to forward one's career, etc. I'm in the position of having to take care of elderly parents. However, I will be an elder orphan. Is the State supposed to care for me when I can't????? It used to be families took care of family members.


Hindsight is always 20-20. One needs to consider both sides of the coin. Just saying.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #4255
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,641
Couples choose to have or not have kids for various reasons, some selfish, some not, for either personal, financial, or whatever..... I think the choices they make also depend on the couple's cultural background.
For instance, I get the financial reasons for not having children, but does that mean couples with meager household income shouldn't have kids?
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:29 PM   #4256
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
In hindsight, I think it was a tad selfish not to have had children because one wanted to forward one's career, etc. I'm in the position of having to take care of elderly parents. However, I will be an elder orphan. Is the State supposed to care for me when I can't????? It used to be families took care of family members.

Hindsight is always 20-20. One needs to consider both sides of the coin. Just saying.
I guess you didn't read my last post on this. There are other options.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #4257
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Couples choose to have or not have kids for various reasons, some selfish, some not, for either personal, financial, or whatever..... I think the choices they make also depend on the couple's cultural background.
For instance, I get the financial reasons for not having children, but does that mean couples with meager household income shouldn't have kids?
They shouldn't have more than they can reasonably take care of. People don't need to be rich to have children, but imo they should be able to raise them without financial help from the state.

I'm happy to have the government help people temporarily when they come on hard times, but it should be the goal to be as self-sufficient as possible.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #4258
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Don't you think it's a tad selfish to have children for the purpose of having someone to take care of you when you're old? Did you miss my last post on this topic?
Rob feels that the only reason that his mother tries to have a relationship with him is so that there will be someone to take care of her. He also has a disabled brother that he'll need to be responsible for if she passes first. He often feels that is the only reason that she had kids.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:22 PM   #4259
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Rob feels that the only reason that his mother tries to have a relationship with him is so that there will be someone to take care of her. He also has a disabled brother that he'll need to be responsible for if she passes first. He often feels that is the only reason that she had kids.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
That's so sad to hear about Rob. I have a dear friend who died with cancer, and her mother's first reaction to the news of her impending death was "who will look after me when you're gone". When my sons were born, the last thing on my mind was me. My first thoughts are for my children, always. I truly pray I never become their burden.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:50 PM   #4260
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,009
All this talk about kids or no kids makes me think of Doris Day!

Que sera, sera, Whatever will be, will be, The future's not ours to see...
__________________

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.