"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-19-2015, 10:09 AM   #4281
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeeCoco View Post
Hehe. Definitely won't be going to that extreme. He fixed it yesterday. Something about the igniter was wonky. I don't know the details, I just grabbed my wine and went into the study to "keep the dog out of the way". He gets grumpy when he fixes things. :) He's really not much of a handyman (which is funny 'cos he's an engineer), so it always takes twice as long to do something than it should.
If he can fix things, then he is definitely a "keeper". Even if it takes twice as long. It just gives you more time to enjoy your wine!

Old 06-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #4282
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeeCoco View Post
Well, she wasn't too selective about who she posted it to, because a friend of mine, who has only met this woman twice, saw it on Facebook as well.

At any rate, I am the type of person who keeps my Facebook locked tight. I have less than a hundred people on my friends list. I will not have anyone associated with work on my list. I do not have anyone that I go to school with on my list (I'm going back for the third time. I'm just collecting degrees, it seems), because they could very well become future co-workers/bosses. It is not a private space. It's akin of being at a busy party with everyone you know there, standing on the table and shouting something out.

And, if the windows were fixed by the insurance company, what's the problem?

And, she could have been polite about it. She did not have to be rude. But that seems to be her MO. There's been other issues with her, and quite frankly, I'm through.
I agree that you have to be careful what you post and who is on your friends lists. Obviously this woman doesn't understand that.

Yes, she definitely should have been polite about it. Well, you found out more about her character. I would be through with her too.

Nowadays, even if you aren't on FB or other social media, you have far less privacy than we had when we were young. Cameras on phones are ubiquitous. Someone can take a picture and post it on their FB page. Youthful indiscretions can become public very easily. I've heard of someone drinking to excess at a party and the boss got to see the photos, just as an example

Old 06-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #4283
Master Chef

I've really cut down on my friends' list on FB over the last couple of years. And even at my current list of about 25 friends I still feel I'm overexposed.
I also have many friends and family members who don't want anything to do with FB.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #4284
Executive Chef

When my stove that I loved needed repaired, DH priced the parts and they were almost as much as a new one. So we sold it (got $20 for it) and got a new one. Then another new one after that. None has ever baked as good as that old broken down one.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #4285
Executive Chef

I have a FB account but all that's on it is my maiden name. No friends, no pics, no comments. I got 1 friend request which I ignored. Step-daughter set it up for me so I could look at her account. Then we figured out that it was just as easy for me to sign in to her account to look at it. DUH!
Old 06-19-2015, 01:36 PM   #4286
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I have a FB account but all that's on it is my maiden name. No friends, no pics, no comments. I got 1 friend request which I ignored. Step-daughter set it up for me so I could look at her account. Then we figured out that it was just as easy for me to sign in to her account to look at it. DUH!
That only works if there is enough trust.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:13 AM   #4287
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That only works if there is enough trust.
Believe me, I don't know enough about Facebook to do anything I shouldn't be doing. What could I do? All I do is look at pictures my family members have posted. I don't post any comments.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #4288
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Believe me, I don't know enough about Facebook to do anything I shouldn't be doing. What could I do? All I do is look at pictures my family members have posted. I don't post any comments.
What could someone do? Post rude comments; post embarrassing pictures; make inflammatory posts; harass people on the friends list; change profile info; etc. etc.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:36 AM   #4289
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I am there only to see the pictures of the grandkids. Every so often one of their friends will post something I consider inappropriate. I will remark that Mary (not the real name) please remind your friends that your grandmother reads this stuff. That is all I ever have to say about it. One of them told her friends that her grandmother was very old fashion. So please don't use bad language. Or she will yell at me for having friends with no class. She then sent me a private email telling me she hopes her little white lie works. She doesn't like it when they swear either. But it works. I am seeing less and less swearing on my grandkids sites.

My grandson's wife watches what is posted on her daughter's site real closely. If she doesn't like what is on there, she will block that person from viewing her daughter's site or posting on it. She checks her site every day. Sometimes two or three times a day. I have to give her credit. She is one heck of a Mom.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #4290
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
What could someone do? Post rude comments; post embarrassing pictures; make inflammatory posts; harass people on the friends list; change profile info; etc. etc.
Well, I would do none of those things. Not to my step-daughter or anyone, for that matter. I know there are people who do such things, but I don't understand what happiness they get out of that. I just want to look at the pages of my relatives, look at the kids pics, etc. I do not comment. They don't even know I'm there. I also don't pay any attention to comments that others make to my step-daughter. Those are her friends and none of my business. She's in her 40's, way beyond needing or wanting my interference. Actually, I haven't noticed anything innapropriate. Off color maybe, but they are adults.

The reason I don't want to do this with my own account is that when I set it up, I instantly got a friend request from a cousin who hasn't bothered with me all our lives. All of a sudden she wants to be friends on Facebook. If I friend her, I will get friend requests from all the other relatives that are on her list of friends. If you couldn't be friends with me in 69 years, don't start now.