"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-31-2015, 05:51 PM   #4361
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Your point was clear. We were being duped by the 9/10 of a cent on gas prices. That gas companies thought we were stupid.

The fractional suffix is irrelevant if everyone does the same thing. Same with $1.99 pricing. Am I fooled into thinking the price is a dollar instead of two? If every retailer uses the same "let's trick the masses" logic, the trick becomes ineffective. You are, after all, comparing one retailer's price to another.
LOL! It was NOT that we were being duped...that's why I said most didn't get my point. It was the fact that you, me...you know...smart folks automatically make mental adjustments for something as blatantly silly as 9/10 of a cent that never changes on gas prices and is irrelevant at modern day gas prices.

It's a relic from when they used to dispense gas in to a clear vessel so you could see it before it went in to your tank...and when gas was priced in cents...and a tenth of a cent actually meant something.

It is the fact that this relic remains and why? No one is being fooled and in fact...like you all made a point in telling me...it is irrelevant...so why would they still have that on the price signs? I was simply saying "THEY" must think people are fools...or know some are, otherwise they would not continue such foolishness.

I'll drop it now...like my jaw did when I saw how far off people perceived my posts. A lesson learned. Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yes, the venting thread is meant for serious topics. For joking around, try this forum: Jokes and Games - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums
That appears to be sage advice G.G. there is definitely a whole lot of "Serious" in here. Mine was a proper vent in my mind, albeit a little tongue in cheek but whoosh...right on past the crowd...

Your advice is well taken. I am a newbie and still figuring out where the prickly spots are...and there appear to be some to avoid here. Discovered that on my very first post.

I have life tragedies, ills, and aggravations like everybody else but cooking to me is the escape from that. I'm here as part of that "escape"...not to take stuff too seriously.

Thank you!

Old 08-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #4362
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Angry ARGH!!

Okay, so my younger sister married (her 2nd) 2 months ago.
We were unable to attend the festivities and sent a very nice card
along with a substantial amount of cash (of which I DID NOT want to do, but DH insisted, I feel she's a ingrate) .
Today in the mailbox I had something from her (I recognized her handwriting).
I open the envelope and I find a slip of paper with a handwritten note in Sharpie, "Thanks". That's it!
SAY WHAT?! (I could use stronger language but I'm lady )
Funny, I was just thinking last night that I probably WON'T get a thank you card from her, because, well that's how she is, and I know it and honestly didn't except any different from her. (you'd never know that we were raised by the same Mother and Father)...
ARGH!

Old 08-31-2015, 06:18 PM   #4363
Master Chef

Kenny, when you keep insulting and insisting we missed the point of your very long rant, it could be that many of us just tune out, move on, and simply don't care. My apology for being clear with just a few words.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:25 PM   #4364
Master Chef

+1..
Old 08-31-2015, 06:26 PM   #4365
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Kenny, when you keep insulting and insisting we missed the point of your very long rant, it could be that many of us just tune out, move on, and simply don't care. My apology for being clear with just a few words.
yup, +1
Old 08-31-2015, 06:42 PM   #4366
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I think this would have been better in Petty Vents. Venting is usually for more important venting.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:29 AM   #4367
Head Chef

Ever looked at a savings coupon? It has a value of 1/10 of one cent cash value printed on it. If you collect 10 of them, does that mean together they're worth one cent? I don't get it.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #4368
Senior Cook

What has happened to the days when ad agencies WROTE jiggles? So many products being advertised use songs from our past that meant something to us....be it a relationship, a special time in our life, are now being used to advertise mops, cleaning products, cars, etc. Have copywriters become a thing of the past? "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what relief it is!" "My balony has a first name, it's M A Y E R, my balony has a second name it's O S C A R" "You'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!" These make you think of the product, the songs make me think of my life, not a MOP or whatever they are attaching the song to. Drives me CRAZY! (Yes, I'm a former advertising executive from the Mad Men era, when we wrote jiggles that people could identify with the products.)
Old 09-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #4369
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
You mean jingles, not jiggles, right?
Old 09-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #4370
Senior Cook

LOL! Auto check puts in a little humor? Yes, jingles, thank you!