"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #431
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
What a hassle! For me right now it is THANK HEAVEN FEBRUARY IS OVER!!! I know part of it may be self-fulfilling prophecy, but anything that ever happens that is bad in our almost 30 years of marriage, happens in February. I used to blame it on the weather causing depression, but in fact, when we lived in Hawaii and when we lived in Florida, still bad things happened to us in February. This year it was the heat. THE HEAT. It went out when it was 17 degrees (that's the high of the days, and I might add, not with wind chill). This was after having a preventive maintenance visit, losing heat, having a *&^%^&^% replaced, then more service. I stayed up all night last Sunday running the washing machine, boiling water on the stove, running the self-clean cycle of the stove, and every half-hour running hot water in the shower to keep the back end of the house warm. They showed on Monday (when I asked them to, I knew I could keep the house warm enough not to have to pay for a weekend, middle of the night, emergency call) and replaced the *&@!$$^&* and we're warm, hopefully for the rest of the year. I swear, if February had 31 days, I would not be alive today; I'd have committed suicide decades ago!
I hate heating problems, they blow up everything else out of proportion! And they are expensive, always. Glad it's over for you!

Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #432
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Claire,

Shouldn't the company that did preventive maintenance have come for free on the weekend? That would be fair. It was them that didn't discover the problem or didn't fix it.

Glad you have your heat back

Old 03-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #433
Chef Extraordinaire

some of you may remember me mentioning "the house guest from hell" well, went to get cheese for my burger and found she had eaten an entire package of provolone slices. the day she left went into pantry for something. discovered she had eaten an entire box of pop tarts. put empty box in pantry. an entire box of the little bags of 100 calorie cookies. i swear i fed her. she did all this while i was sleeping, i guess. no manners at all. she had come hoping i could help with a crisis she was in. gave advice because i was asked, guess she didn't like it cause she didn't do any of it. involves a son in trouble with the law and non payment of rent.

she called me a week ago today and asked again. i told her to do this and that and call me with the outcome. she didn't, i called sheriff in her county and did a well check. she was out dancing. it involved her son that is violent. and i was worried. called me finally and eleven thirty and woke me up. i thought about it for a few days and then told her not to call me again in this life or any other. i counted up the calls and she had called me 24 times in three days. i don't need the stress or blood pressure rise. i have know her for 25 years and she has always been a flake. i think she is a sociopath. i feel petty but felt i needed to get rid of a big source of stress.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #434
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
some of you may remember me mentioning "the house guest from hell" well, went to get cheese for my burger and found she had eaten an entire package of provolone slices. the day she left went into pantry for something. discovered she had eaten an entire box of pop tarts. put empty box in pantry. an entire box of the little bags of 100 calorie cookies. i swear i fed her. she did all this while i was sleeping, i guess. no manners at all. she had come hoping i could help with a crisis she was in. gave advice because i was asked, guess she didn't like it cause she didn't do any of it. involves a son in trouble with the law and non payment of rent.

she called me a week ago today and asked again. i told her to do this and that and call me with the outcome. she didn't, i called sheriff in her county and did a well check. she was out dancing. it involved her son that is violent. and i was worried. called me finally and eleven thirty and woke me up. i thought about it for a few days and then told her not to call me again in this life or any other. i counted up the calls and she had called me 24 times in three days. i don't need the stress or blood pressure rise. i have know her for 25 years and she has always been a flake. i think she is a sociopath. i feel petty but felt i needed to get rid of a big source of stress.
Just think of it as a kind of 'spring cleaning' in the closet of life, which really is too short to ________ (here you can fill in the blank).
Old 03-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #435
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have a neighbor who used to use me as her place to take an "emotional dump". After the last incident which lasted about 5 hours, I woke up the next morning upset that again she had done this to me, getting me all upset about the "fact" that her boyfriend was sponging off of her (I doubt it now).

She came by again the next day and I told her off. I told her that I was not going to let her treat me that way. I'd given her the same advice, never taken, many times before.

I had realized that she used her visit with me to make him angry and the things she told me were quite probably not really true. I said she was welcome to visit, but that she had 5 minutes to talk about him then either we could go on to have a nice visit, or she could go home.

Through all this she was grinning! She was getting attention.

Don't let people like this keep using you. It drains and upsets you. Your emotional health is more important.

I'm proud of you for telling her off. People like this will suck you dry as long as you let them.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #436
Chef Extraordinaire

thank you both. life is to short to "suffer fools"
Old 03-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #437
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
thank you both. life is to short to "suffer fools"
I think that's the best attitude. (((hugs)))
Old 03-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #438
Head Chef

OK, I am venting that I haven't been here in so long and I'm mad at myself !!!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #439
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
OK, I am venting that I haven't been here in so long and I'm mad at myself !!!!!
Saphellae!!! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}
Old 03-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #440
Head Chef

Poke poke poke hi Alix !!!! :D :D :D

To keep on topic... ahem.

well.. nothing to vent about!!! :)

*poof*