"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #4391
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,384
I am currently without my laptop. Friday morning I could not start it up so I got an appointment at the Apple Store. I was hoping it was a software issue so they could fix it on the spot. Sadly, it was not. My hard drive is shot and needs replacing.

As the laptop is over six years old, they no longer stock the part. They sent me to an authorized repair facility to get the work done. Waiting for a call back from That shop so I can take it in. Meanwhile, I'm making do with SO's iPad and my iPhone.

I have a backup that's about five days before the crash so that should be no issue. Not having access to vital documents in the interim is a pain. I should be working on the condo association's budget for 2016. All the key data is on that hard drive or my backup that I can't access.

This is the second hard drive failure I've had. The last one was about two years ago.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #4392
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I am currently without my laptop. Friday morning I could not start it up so I got an appointment at the Apple Store. I was hoping it was a software issue so they could fix it on the spot. Sadly, it was not. My hard drive is shot and needs replacing.

As the laptop is over six years old, they no longer stock the part. They sent me to an authorized repair facility to get the work done. Waiting for a call back from That shop so I can take it in. Meanwhile, I'm making do with SO's iPad and my iPhone.

I have a backup that's about five days before the crash so that should be no issue. Not having access to vital documents in the interim is a pain. I should be working on the condo association's budget for 2016. All the key data is on that hard drive or my backup that I can't access.

This is the second hard drive failure I've had. The last one was about two years ago.
My sympathies Andy. Been there, done that. Lesson learned? Use a flash drive.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #4393
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Had that happen when I was writing a term paper, it always seems to happen when you have something that needs done.

Our Internet and phone were out when we needed them for discussions on the house closing about a week ago.

We still have not closed on this house, I am suspecting a lot of foot dragging on the lending officer's part and every time I talk to him he sounds like he has been drinking.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #4394
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My sympathies Andy. Been there, done that. Lesson learned? Use a flash drive.

Use a flash drive for what? I back up to an external hard drive?
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #4395
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
I back up important files onto my external flash drive. I also back the same files up on those little thumb flash drives as well, just to be redundant, just in case.....because any of these flash drives can fail at any time.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #4396
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,886
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Is there a way to boot your laptop from an external hard drive or CD/DVD? Is it possible to set that up for another time? I'm not familiar with Mac OS. I know you would be able to do it with Linux.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #4397
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I back up important files onto my external flash drive. I also back the same files up on those little thumb flash drives as well, just to be redundant, just in case.....because any of these flash drives can fail at any time.
I've been backing up my computer to an external hard drive weekly for years. This was valuable two plus years ago when my original HD failed and I was able to restore with minimum data lost. That's not the issue. Without a working computer I can't access data I need. I won't have lost anything of significance, just time.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #4398
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
A flash drive without a computer to connect to is just a hunk of plastic and metal. It's the computer that has a problem, not the back up. Clearly Andy has been backing up his work, just like we all should, if it's important to you.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #4399
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,886
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Wait a minute Andy, you guys only have one working computer in the house?

Okay, I know that my home isn't normal (we have at least five working computers), but still...
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #4400
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,640
Ok, now I got it! It's still early here on the left coast and I haven't had my cup of coffee yet.....LOL...
__________________

__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.