"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #4391
Certified Pretend Chef

I am currently without my laptop. Friday morning I could not start it up so I got an appointment at the Apple Store. I was hoping it was a software issue so they could fix it on the spot. Sadly, it was not. My hard drive is shot and needs replacing.

As the laptop is over six years old, they no longer stock the part. They sent me to an authorized repair facility to get the work done. Waiting for a call back from That shop so I can take it in. Meanwhile, I'm making do with SO's iPad and my iPhone.

I have a backup that's about five days before the crash so that should be no issue. Not having access to vital documents in the interim is a pain. I should be working on the condo association's budget for 2016. All the key data is on that hard drive or my backup that I can't access.

This is the second hard drive failure I've had. The last one was about two years ago.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #4392
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I am currently without my laptop. Friday morning I could not start it up so I got an appointment at the Apple Store. I was hoping it was a software issue so they could fix it on the spot. Sadly, it was not. My hard drive is shot and needs replacing.

As the laptop is over six years old, they no longer stock the part. They sent me to an authorized repair facility to get the work done. Waiting for a call back from That shop so I can take it in. Meanwhile, I'm making do with SO's iPad and my iPhone.

I have a backup that's about five days before the crash so that should be no issue. Not having access to vital documents in the interim is a pain. I should be working on the condo association's budget for 2016. All the key data is on that hard drive or my backup that I can't access.

This is the second hard drive failure I've had. The last one was about two years ago.
My sympathies Andy. Been there, done that. Lesson learned? Use a flash drive.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #4393
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Had that happen when I was writing a term paper, it always seems to happen when you have something that needs done.

Our Internet and phone were out when we needed them for discussions on the house closing about a week ago.

We still have not closed on this house, I am suspecting a lot of foot dragging on the lending officer's part and every time I talk to him he sounds like he has been drinking.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #4394
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My sympathies Andy. Been there, done that. Lesson learned? Use a flash drive.

Use a flash drive for what? I back up to an external hard drive?
Old 11-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #4395
Master Chef

I back up important files onto my external flash drive. I also back the same files up on those little thumb flash drives as well, just to be redundant, just in case.....because any of these flash drives can fail at any time.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #4396
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Is there a way to boot your laptop from an external hard drive or CD/DVD? Is it possible to set that up for another time? I'm not familiar with Mac OS. I know you would be able to do it with Linux.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #4397
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I back up important files onto my external flash drive. I also back the same files up on those little thumb flash drives as well, just to be redundant, just in case.....because any of these flash drives can fail at any time.
I've been backing up my computer to an external hard drive weekly for years. This was valuable two plus years ago when my original HD failed and I was able to restore with minimum data lost. That's not the issue. Without a working computer I can't access data I need. I won't have lost anything of significance, just time.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #4398
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

A flash drive without a computer to connect to is just a hunk of plastic and metal. It's the computer that has a problem, not the back up. Clearly Andy has been backing up his work, just like we all should, if it's important to you.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #4399
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Wait a minute Andy, you guys only have one working computer in the house?

Okay, I know that my home isn't normal (we have at least five working computers), but still...
Old 11-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #4400
Master Chef

Ok, now I got it! It's still early here on the left coast and I haven't had my cup of coffee yet.....LOL...