"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-22-2015, 02:45 PM   #4401
Certified Pretend Chef

Venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Wait a minute Andy, you guys only have one working computer in the house?

Okay, I know that my home isn't normal (we have at least five working computers), but still...

One laptop (currently NOT working), one iPad and 2 iPhones. It's probably more than we can afford.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #4402
Chef Extraordinaire

Any magnetic media, including external hard drives and flash drives, can fail at any time. I've heard too many stories over the years from people who suffered a computer hard drive failure only to find out that their backup media was corrupted or otherwise unavailable. So I've been using the online service Backblaze for the last several years to back up to the cloud.

Read more about it, and other options, here: http://lifehacker.com/five-best-onli...ces-1006345049

Old 11-22-2015, 03:53 PM   #4403
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Wait a minute Andy, you guys only have one working computer in the house?

Okay, I know that my home isn't normal (we have at least five working computers), but still...

Sounds like Spike. He found a brand new colored laser printer in the trash behind the store that his boss owns and he set it up and it is working just fine. He also has about three or more computers that other folks didn't want. He fixes them up and when someone's 'puter goes out, he has one they can borrow.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #4404
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Is there a way to boot your laptop from an external hard drive or CD/DVD? Is it possible to set that up for another time? I'm not familiar with Mac OS. I know you would be able to do it with Linux.
I got curious and found that, yes, you can boot from an external hard drive, an optical disk, or even a USB key. The USB key or whatever has to have a bootable OS.

I don't know if you have the software you need installed on your external hard drive. If you don't and it's Excel, then you could work on your files in a portable version of Open Office or Libre Office (The portable versions can be on a USB key or the external HD). They will save in Excel formats.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #4405
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I got curious and found that, yes, you can boot from an external hard drive, an optical disk, or even a USB key. The USB key or whatever has to have a bootable OS.

I don't know if you have the software you need installed on your external hard drive. If you don't and it's Excel, then you could work on your files in a portable version of Open Office or Libre Office (The portable versions can be on a USB key or the external HD). They will save in Excel formats.
If you have a Gmail account, you can also use the apps in Google Drive that work with Office file formats.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #4406
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If you have a Gmail account, you can also use the apps in Google Drive that work with Office file formats.
True. I thought of that before and forgot to mention it.

Oh, and that could probably be done from the iPad or phone. I can do it with my Android phone. The problem would be getting the files from the external HD to Google Drive.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #4407
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
True. I thought of that before and forgot to mention it.

Oh, and that could probably be done from the iPad or phone. I can do it with my Android phone. The problem would be getting the files from the external HD to Google Drive.
That's when you phone a friend Or maybe someone at the Apple Store can help.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #4408
Certified Pretend Chef

While I appreciate your looking into this on my behalf, I can only imagine I'd fail and screw something up. I think my best option is to wait for the repair.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #4409
Certified Pretend Chef

I talked to the repair facility just now. I'm leaving shortly to deliver the laptop for repair.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #4410
Chef Extraordinaire

I hope it's a simple fix, Andy.