"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #4421
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I can't imagine anyone asking such a rude question, but if they did I would probably just respond with a blank stare and ask them why they would like to know. People live where they live, and sometimes there are few choices.

Sounds like you love your area though, Addie, and that's a good thing!
I do Cheryl. Growing up here myself and then my kids, they will tell you they never had to leave their neighborhood for anything they wanted or needed. Five times I picked up and moved to other parts of the country. But I always came back. Very few non-Italians here growing up. My family was one of them. Today, it has become multi-national. I was looking at the obits. There was one of an Italian soldier from WWII. He had been a POW at the camp out on Wood Island Park and decided to stay when the war ended. We had a lot of them and now they are dying off.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #4422
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Just tell em "Ya grow where you're planted!"

I like that. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:54 PM   #4423
Senior Cook

Airport

We live a half mile from the airport I fly from. I can sit on my porch with my air band radio and watch and listen to the planes
Old 11-23-2015, 10:44 PM   #4424
Master Chef

Beautiful farmland you live in, Kay and Souschef. I love that coastal area of SoCal.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:46 PM   #4425
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Just tell em "Ya grow where you're planted!"

Perfect. Love this, AB.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:15 AM   #4426
Master Chef

Glad to hear you'll be back among the easily wired soon, Andy. However did we survive before computer and internet? I seriously don't know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcD View Post
... I usually head to the back porch for a look when I hear one........they fly low and slow. MedFlight is another frequent flyer in my area with a major trauma center nearby...
We have an all-glass sunroom off the back of our house - three walls and a ceiling of clear views (well, except for the support structures). When my bat-ears hearing picks up the sound of the LifeFlight chopper I usually head to the sunroom to look straight up and watch him fly overhead, saying a little prayer for the crew and passengers. However, when the wack-a-doodle a few streets over starts flying his little silver bumble bee (personal helicopter) in circles around and around and around our neighborhood, I kinda wish looks could kill - or at least ground his danged flying noisebox.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:43 AM   #4427
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm getting irritated with people dissing others posts. Say something nice, whether you like the idea or not. No need to say, "I don't do that!" How rude.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #4428
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Glad to hear you'll be back among the easily wired soon, Andy. However did we survive before computer and internet? I seriously don't know...
For one thing, we didn't know nearly as many people and didn't eat as many diverse foods as we do now.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #4429
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There is one runway that was closed many years ago after a long fight between the citizens and Massport. The only time it is used is when the President comes to Boston. One afternoon my son was standing on top of the bridge that brings you over to the beach. He heard a loud plane and looked up. It was Air Force One flying overhead just about 500 feet or less over him. Today, when he knows the President is coming, he makes it a point to be there waiting for that plane to come in.
Air Force One is an impressive sight. I had traded houses with one of my sons and was living SW of Columbus a few years ago. As I was sitting at my desk I could hear a large, low flying aircraft spooling the engines up and down. Naturally I went outside to have a look.....the neighbors were worried that it was going to crash. I told them there was little chance of that after I recognized it as AF 1......only the POTUS getting a view of the city while letting the citizens take a gander at the royal chariot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

We have an all-glass sunroom off the back of our house - three walls and a ceiling of clear views (well, except for the support structures). When my bat-ears hearing picks up the sound of the LifeFlight chopper I usually head to the sunroom to look straight up and watch him fly overhead, saying a little prayer for the crew and passengers. However, when the wack-a-doodle a few streets over starts flying his little silver bumble bee (personal helicopter) in circles around and around and around our neighborhood, I kinda wish looks could kill - or at least ground his danged flying noisebox.
Many times over the years I've thought about enclosing my back porch with glass.......12' X 28' with a roof. The roof provides some nice shade from the hot afternoon sun.......great place to have a nice cold beer..

VENT

I just restocked the bathroom vanity with a roll of toilet paper.....main supply is in the hall closet but I make sure there is a spare roll available for those who do not check the holder before having a seat. The girls have no problem retrieving the extra roll that is stocked in a strategic location but always fail to restock one for others. I guess they know grumpa has that pretty much under control........sometimes I am a nice guy.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #4430
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcD View Post
VENT

I just restocked the bathroom vanity with a roll of toilet paper.....main supply is in the hall closet but I make sure there is a spare roll available for those who do not check the holder before having a seat. The girls have no problem retrieving the extra roll that is stocked in a strategic location but always fail to restock one for others. I guess they know grumpa has that pretty much under control........sometimes I am a nice guy.
It has been my experience that people learn quicker if you allow them to run out every once in a while.