"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #4431
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
It has been my experience that people learn quicker if you allow them to run out every once in a while.
I can't stand the forlorn cries emanating from the bathroom......... I constantly remind the g-kids of self reliance and thinking ahead but get 0 support from the parents.......I sound like a broken record. Getting them to keep their dirty laundry in a specific location is impossible......unless one considers the entire house and the yard as a specific location.....

Old 11-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #4432
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcD View Post
I can't stand the forlorn cries emanating from the bathroom......... I constantly remind the g-kids of self reliance and thinking ahead but get 0 support from the parents.......I sound like a broken record. Getting them to keep their dirty laundry in a specific location is impossible......unless one considers the entire house and the yard as a specific location.....
Trust me. It works. Go outside and you won't hear them. They will find themselves checking the supply on hand before they sit down.

And their dirty laundry? Create a new place for it. Under their bed. Come laundry day, their clothing will not get done. When they are looking for that special top and it is under their bed dirty, remind them where the laundry should have gone to get washed. When I started doing that and making them wash the item out by hand, they started to get the message. Kids fail to get the message unless it affects them directly.

By the time they are fifteen, they are old enough to be responsible for most of their own direct needs. Check the paper holder. Empty? Take a roll in with you and take it with you when you are through. Keep it in your room. If they tell you it is not their job to keep a roll on the holder, remind them it is not your job to wipe their backside either. They will learn very quickly.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:43 PM   #4433
Chef Extraordinaire

If Infanticide were legal I would be committing it today. Spike has a bad cold. Thank you Spike for sharing it with me.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #4434
Senior Cook

By the time I was 15, I was doing the family laundry. Sometimes out of my own pocket. I was so glad when one of mom's friends gave us a washer and dryer.
Oh and on that topic, when I was 17 I accidentally left a pair of panties at a friend's house. The next time I saw them, her mother was wearing them. Her statement, you left, I liked, I keep.
So to those with teenagers, make them do their own laundry.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #4435
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Beautiful farmland you live in, Kay and Souschef. I love that coastal area of SoCal.
Thanks Cheryl..we do love it here. The SousChef didn't mention, our airport is only for small panes that are so interesting to watch, and they can't fly at night as there's no runway lights. He needs to be home by sundown. I love when he flies over and waves the wings to me. Here's some interesting history of our lovely little historic airport. The sundown picture shows the Channel Islands off the coast, and the river when it had water in it.

History

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #4436
Master Chef

I've bicycled through Santa Paula a couple of times........very nice little community just north of L.A.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:18 PM   #4437
Chef Extraordinaire

I'd like to remind people that we have a petty vents thread for, well, minor annoyances: Petty Vents
Old 11-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #4438
Master Chef

Seems to me the two threads are pretty much interchangeable as petty vents. Politics are off the table completely for major vents for example.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:29 PM   #4439
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks Cheryl..we do love it here. The SousChef didn't mention, our airport is only for small panes that are so interesting to watch, and they can't fly at night as there's no runway lights. He needs to be home by sundown. I love when he flies over and waves the wings to me. Here's some interesting history of our lovely little historic airport. The sundown picture shows the Channel Islands off the coast, and the river when it had water in it.

History
How fun!! Thanks for the history link, Kay - that sure is a beautiful sunset and river picture. And for such a tiny little airport, it sure does get a lot of flights!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:34 PM   #4440
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Seems to me the two threads are pretty much interchangeable as petty vents. Politics are off the table completely for major vents for example.
I just came back from seeing my MIL barely able to speak or move after a stroke. Complaining about someone asking why you live in a certain place seems in a different league to me.