"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #4451
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Well said Chief. In difficult times like these, I try to remember:

Old 11-26-2015, 02:53 AM   #4452
Chef Extraordinaire

So true Chief, so true. Thank you for a heartfelt post.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #4453
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Just got back. $200 for the new hard drive plus they will load a more current OS. The tech thought he'd be able to recover the data from my HD so i don't have to rely on my backup.
Update. I wish this had been the end of it. Got the computer back only to have more problems. New hard drive defective. Also cannot update new OS. First to Apple store then back to repair shop-one hour round trip each time.

Told the shop to replace HD, add memory and update to newest OS. picked up the computer again only to find all contacts, all saved emails and all calendar data missing. Also, MS Office missing. Back we go again. Along with my old hard drives and my external backup drive to try to restore missing data. That was Friday. I may get it back tomorrow. I am really sick of this.

If a new computer wasn't so expensive, I'd just trash this one and buy a new one.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #4454
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Update. I wish this had been the end of it. Got the computer back only to have more problems. New hard drive defective. Also cannot update new OS. First to Apple store then back to repair shop-one hour round trip each time.

Told the shop to replace HD, add memory and update to newest OS. picked up the computer again only to find all contacts, all saved emails and all calendar data missing. Also, MS Office missing. Back we go again. Along with my old hard drives and my external backup drive to try to restore missing data. That was Friday. I may get it back tomorrow. I am really sick of this.

If a new computer wasn't so expensive, I'd just trash this one and buy a new one.
Good gawd, $200 for a new hard drive? It better be gold plated! Hope you get this sorted soon!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #4455
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Good gawd, $200 for a new hard drive? It better be gold plated! Hope you get this sorted soon!

My bad, bakechef. The cost was substantially less than that when I went there and got the bill.

I'm using the computer right now and it seems to be fine. Much faster with the new OS and expanded RAM.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #4456
Head Chef

I'm sorry the migration of data to your new HD was troublesome, that should not happen.
SSD? I love my 6 month old Samsung 840 EVO solid state harddrive. 12 second boot ups rather than 65 seconds. Earlier SSD's had issues with reliability. Believe it or not tho, while SSD's have their failure rate, statistics show that disk harddrives have a greater failure rate than SSD's. I was surprised at that. I'm so impressed with the small lightweight size of my Samsung 840 EVO 240GB SSD, that I bought another one ($79) and used Samsung's free Migration Software Utility to flawlessly migrate my OS and data to it for backup purposes.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:22 AM   #4457
Chef Extraordinaire

There was an article yesterday that the antidepressant Zorloft could possibly be the cause of autism if the mother took the drug during the second and third trimester of their pregnancy.

Maybe I have blinders on. But isn't pregnancy a happy time? It always was for me. For all five pregnancies. So where does the need for a tranquillizer come in? I fail to understand the need to take any medication other than an iron and vitamin pill. You may have the need of other medications, such as I did. Thyroid medication. But that should be up to your doctor. And I would think he would know the dangers of over medicating during pregnancy.

Is this a repeat of the Thalidamine scandal all over?

Grrr! When you hear the side effects on you, don't you realize that you could be passing them on to your baby?
Old 12-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #4458
Chef Extraordinaire

People who suffer from depression do need medication, which is obviously prescribed by their doctor. Being pregnant doesn't make the depression disappear. It's a medical illness like any other.

But why is this in this thread? It doesn't seem like something you would be thankful for.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #4459
Chef Extraordinaire

Also, the study shows a small increase in risk and it shows a correlation but no cause and effect.

I find this site useful for a balanced discussion of medical news: https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...ts-and-autism/
Old 12-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #4460
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
People who suffer from depression do need medication, which is obviously prescribed by their doctor. Being pregnant doesn't make the depression disappear. It's a medical illness like any other.

But why is this in this thread? It doesn't seem like something you would be thankful for.
I thought I had the venting thread. My boo boo.