"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #4461
Chef Extraordinaire

The section of Boston that I live in has been considered one of the safest areas. Very little violent crime. Lately there has been an increase in murders. Today two people were shot in the major subway station right on the train. Of course it had to happen right at the time people were beginning to come home from work. So you know the trains were crowded. Packed is more like it. All train service has been halted. And it is the line that serves Logan Airport. Looks like a lot of folks are going to miss their flight.

Poor Pirate. He got caught in this mess. He was in town at the stop just before where the shooting happened. The T rushed buses in town to get people to this side of the harbor. Now he is stuck on this side and in a store across the street waiting for a bus here to bring him home for the rest of his journey. If he starts walking in this bitter cold wind and low temperatures, he might make it home in a little more than an hour. Good luck to him. So much for feeling safe in my community.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #4462
Senior Cook

My vent/gripe is that the use of turn signals seems to be optional these days? :) Half the people don't signal lane changes or turns around here.

I was following a guy yesterday (safe distance) but he did a panic stop and zipped around a corner without signaling. The streets were icy and he slid around. I was maintaining a safe distance, but still, it's silly and dangerous the way people drive.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #4463
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
My vent/gripe is that the use of turn signals seems to be optional these days? :) Half the people don't signal lane changes or turns around here.

I was following a guy yesterday (safe distance) but he did a panic stop and zipped around a corner without signaling. The streets were icy and he slid around. I was maintaining a safe distance, but still, it's silly and dangerous the way people drive.
At the side of the building I live in is a street that comes off a one way street on a hill. The police often have a car parked right outside my window and catches the fools that come racing down the hill as they turn the corner. The cop already has his engine running. So he is right after them as they pass him. A lot of times, at least once a week, a car doesn't make that turn. And sure enough it crashes into the guard rail right at the turn. Last week a car crashed. And you could tell he had crashed there before by the damage to his car. So he got a ticket for speeding and for damaging the guard rail again. They never learn. I consider these crashes as part of my entertainment package for living here.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:57 AM   #4464
Master Chef

Right now, I believe I hate my Hyundai more than I hate this election cycle. You may recall that our Sonata was recalled and repaired because there was a problem with metal particles left behind in the engine when it was manufactured. The new engine is less than 1000 miles old. Right after merging onto the highway a puff of smoke poofed from the back of the car and the temp gauge needle shot right to "H". After calling our local car dealer, who had us call Hyundai roadside assistance, and setting up arrangements for both a tow and loaner car, Himself checked the radiator fluid. Appeared full, no moisture in the engine compartment, hoses OR under the car on the ground. Started up for the tow guy so he could pull it onto his trailer bed. No water under the car then, either. Himself thinks it may have burst a ring gasket.

Got our loaner. We'll find out in the morning what the mechanic finds. I hope whatever it is turns out to be a quick fix, because if we end up having to come back for the car Hyundai had danged well better comp our room for the night we'll end up staying. We can't do 600 miles in just one day anymore.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:10 AM   #4465
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Bummer. Where are you? I hope all is cleared up very quickly.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #4466
Master Chef

Taxy, we're in Pennsylvania, near Philly, about 300 miles from home. We came in on Sunday for Himself's cousin's funeral on Monday. Fortunately, it sounds like my car didn't die, too. I got a voicemail from the service advisor saying it was something minor and silly that caused the problem. We'll get the details when we pick it up. Hopefully, the next time I post about this will be from my laptop at home!
Old 04-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #4467
Chef Extraordinaire

I hate getting stuck without alcohol in Pennsylvania They have crazy laws there.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #4468
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That's not fun, CG. Hope you get it fixed pronto.

Yes, I agree, GG. PA liquor laws are very strange. They remind me of Ontario's laws. You buy your booze at one store, your beer at a completely different store.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:42 AM   #4469
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
That's not fun, CG. Hope you get it fixed pronto.

Yes, I agree, GG. PA liquor laws are very strange. They remind me of Ontario's laws. You buy your booze at one store, your beer at a completely different store.
NH has similar laws. NH has state liquor stores that sell everything but beer. Grocery stores (and some others) can sell beer and wine only.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #4470
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

At Wal-Mart, in Nebraska, I can buy any type of beer or Liquor. Shocked the heck out of me when I saw an end cap of Jim Beam.