"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #4471
Chef Extraordinaire

In PA, though, you can't buy just a six-pack at those beer-only stores. You have to buy a case. You can only buy six packs in a restaurant or bar! Too weird

Old 04-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #4472
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There was an article yesterday that the antidepressant Zorloft could possibly be the cause of autism if the mother took the drug during the second and third trimester of their pregnancy.

I think times have changed. The younger people are not prepared for real life. SOme of them are not. I think it could always have been a problem, but to me, I am no authority of course, that is what is going on. It could be the older generation fault too, including me. We spoil our kids, we protect them from anything and everything. They have no idea what it means to work hard. They don't know what it takes to make living. They don't know what it means to survive in the real world. I might be wrong, but I think I am at least partially right.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:30 PM   #4473
Master Chef

Off topic. When I clicked on this thread I end up on the first page. Saw who started the thread, Alix. What ever happened to her? Does anybody know?
Old 04-13-2016, 12:42 PM   #4474
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I think times have changed. The younger people are not prepared for real life. SOme of them are not. I think it could always have been a problem, but to me, I am no authority of course, that is what is going on. It could be the older generation fault too, including me. We spoil our kids, we protect them from anything and everything. They have no idea what it means to work hard. They don't know what it takes to make living. They don't know what it means to survive in the real world. I might be wrong, but I think I am at least partially right.
Autism is a genuine developmental disorder. It's not a behavioral problem.

This is a fascinating article about a doctor in Massachusetts who surveyed and examined people there and described autism for the first time, although it didn't have a name yet: History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Smithsonian
Old 04-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #4475
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
GG, thank you for that link. It really was an interesting article.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:00 AM   #4476
Master Chef

Silly little problem

The good news is, the car issue was a very minor one. The service advisor guessed that when the new engine was installed, the clip that holds the radiator hose to the engine (I think - I'm not the mechanic in the family) wasn't clamped far enough along the pipe, allowing the hose to work its way down to the end of the pipe and slip off. Since Himself pulled the car off immediately after it happened, all the diagnostics came back as AOK. I have to admit that everyone we've dealt with, from our first call to our MA dealer all the way to shaking hands with the tech today, has been the most pleasant bad experience I've ever had.

BTW, Himself said he completely understood how you can end up not clamping the hose far enough along a pipe - he almost did the same thing when he installed our garbage disposal. Good thing he checked, checked, and checked again before we ran water!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I hate getting stuck without alcohol in Pennsylvania They have crazy laws there.
They've loosened things up a bit. On one of our recent trips through PA, maybe last year(?), we were actually able to buy a six-pack of beer in the Wegmans grocery store along our route. When I tried buying a six-pack of something he had at a family wedding in 2003 I had no clue where to go. Actually stopped at the police department (I figured they knew all of the trouble spots) to ask. When the dispatcher told me I would have to go into a bar to get a six-pack OR a distributor for an entire case of 24 bottle, I told her to point me towards the distributor. No way was I going into a bar alone to buy beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Off topic. When I clicked on this thread I end up on the first page. Saw who started the thread, Alix. What ever happened to her? Does anybody know?
Last time she stopped by, she mentioned how busy her life has been. Here's the link to that post, if you would like to read it: ISO Cereal Snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Autism is a genuine developmental disorder. It's not a behavioral problem...
How did you think of autism as related to Charlie's post? I figured he was more likely talking about an unofficial condition, Peter Pan Syndrome. I still read your linked article, just because. Got about half-way through, then bookmarked it for a day when my brain is fresher. What I read was really interesting. And made me think of Dustin Hoffman's "Rain Man".
Old 04-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #4477
Chef Extraordinaire

Charlie's post was in response to something Addie said about autism.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:32 PM   #4478
Master Chef

Thanks, GG. I didn't see that quote appear on either my tablet or phone, but there it was right here on the laptop.

Nice as it is to keep in contact with DC and Facebook and all, it seems mobile platforms just aren't "all that" when it's compared to a standard computer.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:16 AM   #4479
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Thanks, GG. I didn't see that quote appear on either my tablet or phone, but there it was right here on the laptop.

Nice as it is to keep in contact with DC and Facebook and all, it seems mobile platforms just aren't "all that" when it's compared to a standard computer.
Yeah CG. I send my daughter an email and she only gets half the message on her tablet. She also mention to me that happens when she sends her daughter an email also. And my kids laugh at me for insisting on an old fashion desk computer. But I have more memory than they ever will. And I get all my messages. Completely!
Old 04-15-2016, 11:42 PM   #4480
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Yeah CG. I send my daughter an email and she only gets half the message on her tablet. She also mention to me that happens when she sends her daughter an email also. And my kids laugh at me for insisting on an old fashion desk computer. But I have more memory than they ever will. And I get all my messages. Completely!
Yeah tablets are nice for watching Netflix or whatever on (media consumption device), but nothing beats a laptop or a desktop.

Can't write a school report, email, or a story on a tablet. Well you could if you use an external keyboard, but it's definitely not ideal.

My wife's best friend had to come over to our house every time she needed to print documents, forms, do her taxes, etc., as all she had was a Kindle Fire tablet. Her husband refused to get her a laptop -- "you have a computer already! I bought you that Kindle!" I told her "you earn as much money as him; go to Staples and get a $250 laptop and a printer, sheesh." :) Women's Liberation!